Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #169

We had electric ranges in our s&b we switched to gas. We both love cooking with a gas cook top. We don't cook to much in the rv but personally I would never change it out to electric I see nothing to gain.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #170
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Myron, can you do the exact same test on your NuWave cooktop and see what you get?

Use a large boiler, about 10", put in 2 quarts of water, set to maximum power, and see if it will come to a full boil (over the entire surface), and if so, how long it took.

I would really appreciate it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We had electric ranges in our s&b we switched to gas. We both love cooking with a gas cook top. We don't cook to much in the rv but personally I would never change it out to electric I see nothing to gain.
Induction cooktops are not the typical electric cooktops. With induction you can instantly change the temperature on a burner just like you can with gas.

I also love to cook with gas and replaced our smooth top electric cooktop at home with a gas unit a few years ago but wish I had known about induction at the time because it would have solved my complaints with electric while letting my wife have the easy to clean and maintain smooth top.

Of course the issue on this thread with the True Induction cooktop not heating hot enough to boil two quarts of water is disturbing! I have to believe it is not a pervasive problem based on the number of high end DP's that have had True Induction units in them the last few years. I wonder if it is a problem with a current production run.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #172
YC1

A watched pot never boils, especially three times. I did cool the unit after each use.

2 Quarts 70 degree water

8" pot took 12 minutes
9" pot took 12 minutes
10" pot took 10 minutes

Each pot was a different mfgr. The 10" covered most of the cooking area indicated by a ring on the top.

The boiling observed is not a full over the top type boil like you get when there is pasta or boiling a soup.

I suspect when cooking sauces or something that comes into contact with the bottom that the conduction through the food that they heat up a bit faster. I have no problem boiling anything and can sear food quite well.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #173
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
A watched pot never boils, especially three times. I did cool the unit after each use.

2 Quarts 70 degree water

8" pot took 12 minutes
9" pot took 12 minutes
10" pot took 10 minutes

Each pot was a different mfgr. The 10" covered most of the cooking area indicated by a ring on the top.

The boiling observed is not a full over the top type boil like you get when there is pasta or boiling a soup.

I suspect when cooking sauces or something that comes into contact with the bottom that the conduction through the food that they heat up a bit faster. I have no problem boiling anything and can sear food quite well.

Myron, are you saying that it was not a full boil over the entire surface of the water? Making soup in the large pot is the problem. Annette says she's gotta have a full boil!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #174
YC1

With just water you can tell where the induction area is. Had I boiled it longer I am sure it would have been to a full rolling boil. I have NO problem boiling soup, beans, stews, and I do most of the cooking. As a chef in a former life I have no complaints on the Nuvi. I would like a bit more temperature control and it seems the newer ones have 5 degree increments. Frying is excellent.

We really like the versatility of the portable units. The noise as mentioned is a bit high. But then the hood vent is much louder.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #175
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
With just water you can tell where the induction area is. Had I boiled it longer I am sure it would have been to a full rolling boil. I have NO problem boiling soup, beans, stews, and I do most of the cooking. As a chef in a former life I have no complaints on the Nuvi. I would like a bit more temperature control and it seems the newer ones have 5 degree increments. Frying is excellent.

We really like the versatility of the portable units. The noise as mentioned is a bit high. But then the hood vent is much louder.

The problem with mine is that no matter how long I leave it on it NEVER comes to a full rolling boil!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #176

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The problem with mine is that no matter how long I leave it on it NEVER comes to a full rolling boil!
Put a cover over your pot, it will boil for sure.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This doesn't sound right. What kind of pot are you using? We use Healthcraft which are made for induction cooktops and we get a full boil in about 10 minutes for a large pot. No problem making soups, chili or pasta.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #178
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
This doesn't sound right. What kind of pot are you using? We use Healthcraft which are made for induction cooktops and we get a full boil in about 10 minutes for a large pot. No problem making soups, chili or pasta.

Hi Mike! I bought a set of Duxtop induction cookware and True Induction sent me one of their 5-qt. boilers, and I got the same result from both!

Could you do the test with the large boiler and 2 quarts of water? Set the power on "10" and see if you can get a full rolling boil over the entire surface of the water. I really appreciate this!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #179

Okay, I put 2 quarts of room temperature water in a 4 quart Healthcraft pot. I'm at an altitude of approximately 1,300 feet.

The water began to boil after 9 minutes, 45 seconds with the burner on 10 (high). By 12 minutes it was at a full rolling boil. The pot is 10" in diameter. The bubbles seemed to be concentrated in a 6" circle centered in the pot.

Keep in mind the True two burner cooktop will only cook on 10 (high) with only one burner in use. If you start the second burner it will only cook at a maximum setting of 7 on one burner and 3 on the other or 6 and 4 or 5 and 5.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #180
YC1

I took mine to a full rolling boil today. To get it to a light boil took 12 minutes. To get it rolling too about two minutes more. I set the timer for 15 minutes and it was boiling hard before the timer went off. This was about an 8 inch pot with two quarts of water.

The picture does not do justice to the results. You will have to trust that I know what a full rolling boil is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boiling water.pdf (1.55 MB, 67 views)

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #181
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Okay, I put 2 quarts of room temperature water in a 4 quart Healthcraft pot. I'm at an altitude of approximately 1,300 feet.

The water began to boil after 9 minutes, 45 seconds with the burner on 10 (high). By 12 minutes it was at a full rolling boil. The pot is 10" in diameter. The bubbles seemed to be concentrated in a 6" circle centered in the pot.

Keep in mind the True two burner cooktop will only cook on 10 (high) with only one burner in use. If you start the second burner it will only cook at a maximum setting of 7 on one burner and 3 on the other or 6 and 4 or 5 and 5.
Thanks Mike! I think we're talking about the same thing here. Mine comes to a "full rolling boil", ONLY around that 6" circle and NOT the rest of the pot! Is that an accurate description of yours?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #182

The rest of the water is agitated but bubbles are only rising within the 6 inch circle.

Tags
install, led