Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Nice install.
True Induction recommends that a switch be installed to turn off cook top when not being used. I installed a switch to turn off receptacle and burner when not in use. We are in our third season of using the burner. Wife would not consider going back to electric or LP.

Did True Induction tell you that? I wonder if that just applies to when they are being used as portable cooktops?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Did True Induction tell you that? I wonder if that just applies to when they are being used as portable cooktops?
It was in original manual from the inset model that came with my unit.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
It was in original manual from the inset model that came with my unit.

Yeah, I see that. I'm gonna call them tomorrow to see if that's really important or if it's just one of those "lawyer" things!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Those switches come in higher ratings, I just showed what they look like.

Joe.....they also make remote controlled switches that do the same thing. Here is a link to Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6ws35e4nh2_b

I bought a three pack of Stanley remote switches at Harbor Freight. I use two of them on my two TV's I rarely use so that they are not on all the time. I use the third one on my microwave so that it's not always on when I'm on inverter. They work well and use a small remote.

Here are the Stanley models at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/indoor-...-pc-68759.html

Don,

I have to admit that I learn new things with every post that you write. Thanks👍👍👍👍👍!

Joe,

Great looking install! I am going to find a shirt like the one you mentioned earlier in this thread 🤔.

Jerry
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We'll be taking a week-long trip starting next Friday so we'll see how Annette likes the induction cooking! Any tips from you "experienced" induction users?
Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #34

Start at low settings and don't believe the temperature numbers

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #35

And don't walk away from it if you're using high power. Things happen very quickly.

Mike
Old 12-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike! So you're saying to cook on lower temperature settings than we normally would? If so, how much lower would you suggest?

BTW- If anyone needs the gas cooktop that I took out you are welcome to it free except for the shipping! It is an Atwood Model D-A31BPE. It has the electronic ignition and is working fine.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #37

The high power settings are great for boiling a gallon of water in a hurry. I would suggest that you start out at 5 or lower until you get a feel for it. Regarding the temperature settings, I would test each setting with a pan of water (or oil if above boiling) and see where the temperature stabilizes. The temperature sensor is not directly measuring the pan, and every pan will perform differently. You'll get the hang of it in no time at all.

Mike
Old 12-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am watching this thread to learn what the manufacturer tell you. We have one of the same brand that came with our RV. I'm not sure why you need a switch if it is the same. If your 'burner' doesn't have anything on it (induction capable pan), it turns off in 5 seconds. Also good to note: the numbers for each burner go up to 10, however, together, when using both burners, the number can be no higher than 10 - so 6 and 4, 8 and 2, etc. If you have one burner started at 10 and you start the other burner, the first burner will go down one number for every number that the second burner is set to. Works great though. We've never needed both burners at 10. Usually we start at 10 and then reduce in a hurry because it does not take long!
Enjoy.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
BTW- If anyone needs the gas cooktop that I took out you are welcome to it free except for the shipping! It is an Atwood Model D-A31BPE. It has the electronic ignition and is working fine.[/QUOTE]

Joe,
Besides the Current Monaco, I am also remodeling an old Hawkins and the cook top is shot. If nobody else wants it I would love to take it off your hands.
Dan
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
That is why I would not do without a gas cooktop. Not about to run the generator just to fry some eggs.
With some rigs the all electric option also added a two add'l 8D AGM batteries for a total of 6. That way you don't need to run the generator for short term cooking needs.
If we do decide to add an induction cooktop I'll add the add'l batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Osborne View Post
BTW- If anyone needs the gas cooktop that I took out you are welcome to it free except for the shipping! It is an Atwood Model D-A31BPE. It has the electronic ignition and is working fine.
Joe,
Besides the Current Monaco, I am also remodeling an old Hawkins and the cook top is shot. If nobody else wants it I would love to take it off your hands.
Dan[/QUOTE]

Dan, PM me with the shipping info and I'll get it to you!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Dave in tech support at True Induction, who answered a couple of questions I had.

The manual says to unplug the AC power from the cooktop when not in use. He says the reason for this is to reset the control circuits. It seems they have had some problems with erratic operation and resetting solves the problem. In my case the outlet is hard to reach and I would have to use one of the remote controlled outlets that Don suggested or trip the circuit breaker. Dave says to just find the circuit breaker controlling that outlet and reset it about once a month, or anytime the cooktop does something it's not supposed to do. He said that they are working on a fix for this.

The other question I had was concerning the relationship of power and temperature. I was confused as to how the two settings are used together. Dave says you don't have to use both! If you know the temp you want, just set it and the cooktop will provide the correct power to provide that temp. You can also use the power without the temp setting!

Anyway, we'll play with it next week on our trip and report back to you with the results!

Tags
install, led