Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
IMPORTANT UPDATE! You will recall that I mounted the cooktop at the back of the recessed opening and filled the gap at the front with plexiglass. Well, Annette just pointed out to me that I should have mounted the cooktop in the center of the opening and put plexiglass sheets in front AND back of it! That way, cookware on the burners will not be close to the back of the recessed opening! DUH!

I am going to move it forward and use the other half of the plexiglass sheet I bought to fill in the rear space!
Also keep in mind that, although the cooktop is not very hot, the pots/pans are .... don't tilt a skillet onto plexiglass ... it may melt. You may want to rethink the choice ... ceramic floor/wall tile is generally heat resistant.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #58
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Also keep in mind that, although the cooktop is not very hot, the pots/pans are .... don't tilt a skillet onto plexiglass ... it may melt. You may want to rethink the choice ... ceramic floor/wall tile is generally heat resistant.

The recessed area is Corian, which will melt!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Also true .... but more robust than Plexiglass. Lexan is better but still a possible issue.

"Although Corian® solid surface remains stable and undamaged in temperatures up to 212ºF (100ºC), high heat or flame will damage your surface."

"Plexiglass has a heat resistance normal service temperature of 180 degrees".

"Lexan has a heat resistance normal service temperature of 240 degrees."

I use a 12" square piece of granite with rubber feet glued on the back to rest hot pots/pans/utensils on (cheap trivet). It's big enough to hold the toaster, coffee maker, or panini maker.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Aren't you due to take off on your full-timing experience? I thought you mentioned 'January'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #61
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Aren't you due to take off on your full-timing experience? I thought you mentioned 'January'.

Yeah, we were supposed to be gone by now, but Annette is still having back problems that we're working with. Just trying to be patient!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #62
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....I looked at your install and you did a nice job. I know that you wanted to keep everything recessed so that it could be covered, but I see all types of practical issues with how you did it (sorry, not trying to offend you, but keep you safe). Having everything down in that hole is going create a tremendous amount of heat when cooking something for more than few minutes. The edges of the cooktop are too close to the sides. You'll be limited to pan size and will have to be careful that it's not touching the edge. Both the Corian and plexiglass will melt or scorch.

When I changed mine out, I purposely did the surface mount, because even the OEM gas cooktop limited pot size due to depth of the hole. Once ours was done, I custom ordered a nice cutting board that fit over the top of the cook top to protect it. I added feet as a stand off. Later, many took my idea and made the cover out of Corian. Newmar now sells the Corian cover as an upgrade.

I think you could easily change what you did. I would just increase the spacers underneath the unit to bring it to counter height. Rather than use plexiglass, get a piece of scrap granite in a solid color like light brown and frame the cooktop at the top and bottom, like you plan to do with the plexiglass. This will give you a nice finished look, a durable surface and the ability to use larger pans without worry. Don't forget the induction unit has two fans on the underside that need to be able to move air.

Again, not to insult you, just making it safer and more usable.

Side Note: Just got my back injection two days ago....starting to feel better and will hopefully feel good for Quartzsite next week. Hopefully Annette gets better soon, I know how it feels.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #63
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don, I'm not offended. I am always looking for better ways to do things and I value your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Quote:
Joe.....I looked at your install and you did a nice job. I know that you wanted to keep everything recessed so that it could be covered, but I see all types of practical issues with how you did it (sorry, not trying to offend you, but keep you safe). Having everything down in that hole is going create a tremendous amount of heat when cooking something for more than few minutes. The edges of the cooktop are too close to the sides. You'll be limited to pan size and will have to be careful that it's not touching the edge. Both the Corian and plexiglass will melt or scorch.
I called True Induction and described how I was going to do it, asking them if the 1/2" distance from the outside of the burners to the Corian side wall would be a problem. They assured me it would not. I know I will not be able to use a boiler or pan more than 10" in diameter (same as the burners). We will always have the exhaust fan on the convection/microwave which is right over the cooktop turned on when we are cooking. Don't you think that should keep the heat pulled out enough? I don't think the plexiglass will get hot as it is well away from the burners.

Quote:
When I changed mine out, I purposely did the surface mount, because even the OEM gas cooktop limited pot size due to depth of the hole. Once ours was done, I custom ordered a nice cutting board that fit over the top of the cook top to protect it. I added feet as a stand off. Later, many took my idea and made the cover out of Corian. Newmar now sells the Corian cover as an upgrade.
I suggested to Annette that we use the drop-model and cover it with a cutting board when not in use, but that idea didn't appeal to her!

I think you could easily change what you did.
Quote:
I would just increase the spacers underneath the unit to bring it to counter height
There are no spacers underneath the cooktop. It is much wider than the recessed area and is held flat against the bottom of the Corian by the aluminum straps.

Rather than use plexiglass, get a piece of scrap granite in a solid color like light brown and frame the cooktop at the top and bottom, like you plan to do with the plexiglass. This will give you a nice finished look, a durable surface and the ability to use larger pans without worry. Don't forget the induction unit has two fans on the underside that need to be able to move air.

Side Note: Just got my back injection two days ago....starting to feel better and will hopefully feel good for Quartzsite next week. Hopefully Annette gets better soon, I know how it feels.
Glad you back is feeling better! We go back for her second nerve block next Tuesday. The first one helped a lot and hopefully the next one will also!

Again, thanks for your input!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #64
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don, one more thing. I'll check the temp of the Corian sides next to the eyes closely when we start cooking on it!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Switch for induction unit

One thing you might consider is a combination duplex outlet and switch combination (sold at any home improvement store). It would fit in the existing box as the current double duplex outlet. That way you would not need to run any wires or add another box (assuming the current box is in an acceptable location.
CampOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #66

Quote:

I think you could easily change what you did. I would just increase the spacers underneath the unit to bring it to counter height. Rather than use plexiglass, get a piece of scrap granite in a solid color like light brown and frame the cooktop at the top and bottom, like you plan to do with the plexiglass. This will give you a nice finished look, a durable surface and the ability to use larger pans without worry. Don't forget the induction unit has two fans on the underside that need to be able to move air.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #67
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....if it does start to get hot, you might be able to cut some metal strips, possible stainless steel, that are the width of the opening and the depth of the opening and attach to the back and side walls. It would look nice and add some protection. Getting the pieces nicely cut to size would be the only difficult part.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe.....if it does start to get hot, you might be able to cut some metal strips, possible stainless steel, that are the width of the opening and the depth of the opening and attach to the back and side walls. It would look nice and add some protection. Getting the pieces nicely cut to size would be the only difficult part.

Thanks Don!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #69
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think I'm in trouble! We have not been anywhere to try out the induction cooktop since I installed it. I just put 2 quarts of water in a 10" boiler and turned the eye on 10 to see how long it would take the water to come to a full boil. It never did! Twenty minutes later is was just barely boiling in a small area of the water!

Annette nearly croaked! She says that she will not even be able to make a large pot of soup! Have I got a defective cooktop or is this normal?

I put in a call to Dave at True Induction customer service but he hasn't called back yet! After reading all the positive reports on this cooktop this is very disappointing!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #70

If you have some way of measuring the power draw (I use a Kill-A-Watt) I would be interested to know how much power your cooktop is using while you are trying to boil in this pan. Your is an unusual installation, and that could have something to do with the performance.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

Tags
install, led