Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #71
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
If you have some way of measuring the power draw (I use a Kill-A-Watt) I would be interested to know how much power your cooktop is using while you are trying to boil in this pan. Your is an unusual installation, and that could have something to do with the performance.



Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

I have the Kill-A-Watt, but that outlet is hard to reach under there! I'll wait to see what the guy from True Induction says, then I may try that!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
I went to Wal*Mart and bought a Farberware single hob induction 1300 W unit for less than $40, came with it's own frypan too.
Tried it with our several years old Kirkland clad stuff. Boiled two cups of water in 3 min. That's faster than on gas. Wife want breaded chicken strips for dinner, poured a cup of oil into the Farberware pan and it was ready to cook the chicken strips in 3 to 4 min. (I didn't time it but it sure was fast).
I bought the portable unit just to try out induction cooking and so far I like it. The one problem I see is the unit only goes in 25 increments. Need to experiment further.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #73
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I went to Wal*Mart and bought a Farberware single hob induction 1300 W unit for less than $40, came with it's own frypan too.
Tried it with our several years old Kirkland clad stuff. Boiled two cups of water in 3 min. That's faster than on gas. Wife want breaded chicken strips for dinner, poured a cup of oil into the Farberware pan and it was ready to cook the chicken strips in 3 to 4 min. (I didn't time it but it sure was fast.
I bought the portable unit just to try out induction cooking and so far I like it. The one problem I see is the unit only goes in 25 increments. Need to experiment further.

Right after I installed the cooktop I put a small boiler of water (maybe a pint) on the eye and it boiled pretty quick!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
CapuTech's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 183
We had one that also performed like this when it was brand new. It was defective. We exchanged it for a new one and all was fine.

I'd echo the suggestion of the other poster to use a kill-a-watt to check how much power it is drawing. With a single burner on 10, ours will draw about 1600W.

I believe the defect has something to do with the circuitry that controls the power. When using both burners, you cannot run them both at 10, but rather their individual settings can go as high as 10 together. That is, if one is on 7, the highest the other can go is 3.

On ours that was bad, it never used more that 400W which seems equivalent to about setting 3.

When working correctly, 2 quarts should be boiling in 2-3 minutes.
__________________
The Engel Family
2015 Dutch Star 4312, 2015 Ford Explorer Sport with AF1
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #75
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
We had one that also performed like this when it was brand new. It was defective. We exchanged it for a new one and all was fine.

I'd echo the suggestion of the other poster to use a kill-a-watt to check how much power it is drawing. With a single burner on 10, ours will draw about 1600W.

I believe the defect has something to do with the circuitry that controls the power. When using both burners, you cannot run them both at 10, but rather their individual settings can go as high as 10 together. That is, if one is on 7, the highest the other can go is 3.

On ours that was bad, it never used more that 400W which seems equivalent to about setting 3.

When working correctly, 2 quarts should be boiling in 2-3 minutes.

Thanks, that's good info. Guess I'll try to get under there and plug in the Kill-A-Watt!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
slowmachine's Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alton, NH
Posts: 1,200
For comparison, I recently posted the power draw of a couple different cooktops here:

True Induction



Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
__________________
Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #77
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
I just checked it with the Kill-A-Watt meter. On a power setting of 10 it is pulling about 1370 watts, and won't boil the water! On a temp setting of 450 it only pulls about 950 watts. I tried it on each of the eyes and they are about the same!

Anybody out there that has a True Induction that would be willing to duplicate my test and see what you get? I would really appreciate it!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Spinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 292
Do the magnet test on your pan/pot. If a magnet won't stick, it won't boil water.
__________________
Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #79
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Do the magnet test on your pan/pot. If a magnet won't stick, it won't boil water.

This is induction cookware, but I did the magnet test anyway!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
slowmachine's Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alton, NH
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just checked it with the Kill-A-Watt meter. On a power setting of 10 it is pulling about 1370 watts, and won't boil the water! On a temp setting of 450 it only pulls about 950 watts. I tried it on each of the eyes and they are about the same!

Anybody out there that has a True Induction that would be willing to duplicate my test and see what you get? I would really appreciate it!

Is the pan centered on the cooking element?



Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
__________________
Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #81
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Is the pan centered on the cooking element?



Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Yup, the element is 10" and the pan is 10".

I think it's just that the wattage is not enough for the amount of water. It will attempt to boil, but never come to a full boil. I think it will need the full 1800 watts for that!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,165
Something is wrong Joe. We boil a quart of water in about 4 minutes.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #83
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Something is wrong Joe. We boil a quart of water in about 4 minutes.

Gordon, can you try 2 quarts of water in a 10" boiler and see what happens?

Is yours the True Induction?
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
CapuTech's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 183
I had a look at your installation photos and see a potential issue.

Since your watts seems reasonable, it may be that you have insufficient area right behind the unit for the exhaust fans. They take cooling air from below and exhaust out the rear. This could causes the unit to heat up internally, which will reduce the efficiency of the induction coils.

To test this, you would need to remove the unit from it's installation and then try running it on the counter. You would need to rest it about 3-4 inches above the counter so as not to block the intake fans.

This may give you some insight. Failing that, looks like you just have to wait for a return call from customer support.
__________________

__________________
The Engel Family
2015 Dutch Star 4312, 2015 Ford Explorer Sport with AF1
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install, led



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed my M&G Brake system, easy stuff! FIRE UP Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 53 03-25-2017 07:53 AM
Cornerstone Induction Cooktop Sammie Entegra Owner's Forum 2 09-23-2015 03:53 PM
Induction cooktop fan noise? slowmachine RV Systems & Appliances 2 08-14-2015 06:13 PM
Induction cooktop micalo RV Systems & Appliances 7 02-14-2015 03:45 PM
Dutch Star Cooktops hellojohnny Newmar Owner's Forum 8 09-15-2014 12:01 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.