Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Induction cooktop- INSTALLED!

Well, it's finally done! Annette has hated the gas cooktop every since we started RV'ing. I finally convinced her to let me install the True Induction 2-burner cooktop. Below is the one we had.

The old gas cooktop was recessed into the counter, with covers that allowed her to have additional counter space when not actually cooking. She did not want to lose that counter space so I couldn't install the True Induction drop-in unit. Problem was that the surface mount induction cooktop was about 3 1/2 inches wider than the recessed area! My only option was to mount the surface cooktop under the recessed area. This is what it looked like after removing the gas cooktop and capping off the LPG hose and the electrical wires.

You can see the lip around the bottom that supported the gas cooktop. I had to use a Multi Function Oscillating Tool to cut out the lip, then sand the edges down nice and smooth. I made the mistake of NOT covering everything in the room with plastic before doing this! When I got through EVERYTHING was covered in fine dust! You can get an idea of the mess it made from the pic below!

Before starting all this I called the True Induction folks and asked them to measure from the outside edge of one burner to the outside edge of the other burner. It was exactly 20". The opening, after removing the lip, was 21". I was concerned that there would be only be 1/2" clearance between the Corian wall of the opening and a full-size (maximum 10") pot at maximum temperature! They assured me it would not be a problem, so I decided to go for it!

This is what it looked like just before mounting the new cooktop.

The next step was figuring out how to secure the cooktop to the bottom of the opening. I decided that my best option was to use 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum strips from Lowes to secure it to the wood, holding it up tight against the opening. I used three strips from front to back and one strip across the middle from side to side. I placed the strips to be directly under some raised square areas of the cooktop base. Yes, it took some careful measuring to figure out exactly where to mount the strips since I couldn't hold the cooktop in place and measure. Annette was not feeling well when I was doing this and there was nobody else to help me! After getting the strips in place and the cooktop in exactly the right position in the hole, I put #8 x 1/2" screws through the strips into the base of the cooktop to secure it.

As you can see in the middle pic above, the new cooktop lacked about 4" covering the hole front to back. I found some black plexiglass on Amazon that was 12" x 24" x 1/4", and the company included one free cut in the price! I had them cut it in half, giving me two 6" x 24" pieces, perfect for my opening! Here is a link for that:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
I drilled holes in the plexiglass for the screws to pass through freely, then drilled smaller holes in the bottom of the Corian so the #8 x 3/4" sheet metal screws would not crack it. The plexiglass matches the cooktop perfectly! Of course, the plexiglass will scratch easily so you can't be putting things on it! Here is a pic of the completed installation.

I was lucky enough to have a 120VAC outlet under the sink that I could use for the cooktop. Not sure why it was there, nothing was plugged into it.

We bought a set of the Duxtop induction-ready cookware. Haven't tried it yet but it looks like really good quality!

I ordered two of the True Induction mats to go on the burners, keeping things from sliding around and scratching the top. They told me that the strong magnetic field can cause the cookware to vibrate sometimes and the mats will stop that.

Anyway, it's all over but the cooking now! Annette, where are you?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Nice install.
True Induction recommends that a switch be installed to turn off cook top when not being used. I installed a switch to turn off receptacle and burner when not in use. We are in our third season of using the burner. Wife would not consider going back to electric or LP.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Nice install.
True Induction recommends that a switch be installed to turn off cook top when not being used. I installed a switch to turn off receptacle and burner when not in use. We are in our third season of using the burner. Wife would not consider going back to electric or LP.

Thanks Ron! I didn't know about the switch! I'll have to figure something out on that!
Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really like what you have done.
Was there any weight savings?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
I really like what you have done.
Was there any weight savings?

The induction cooktop is a little lighter, but nothing significant!
Old 12-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Joe! That is a great looking install! Sorry I left it out in that picture of your "Salon" in that other thread
Looks great
Old 12-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #7

The installation looks nice and neat, but I wonder how you're going to fit a fry pan or Dutch oven on either of those elements. I think you're going to want more room than that.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
The installation looks nice and neat, but I wonder how you're going to fit a fry pan or Dutch oven on either of those elements. I think you're going to want more room than that.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

We discussed that and decided it shouldn't be a problem. We'll just turn the handles toward the front where there's plenty of room!
Old 12-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks Ron! I didn't know about the switch! I'll have to figure something out on that!
Have you checked to see if a circuit breaker supplies power to the receptacle. Mine is on a separate circuit.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Have you checked to see if a circuit breaker supplies power to the receptacle. Mine is on a separate circuit.

Haven't, but that would be too inconvenient I think. I will probably just wire a switch right inside the cabinet under the cooktop or the sink.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
How well does it work when you are not plugged into shore power?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
How well does it work when you are not plugged into shore power?

It wouldn't be practical to use it without running the generator. It pulls 15 amps at full power (1800 watts), and we only have a 2000 watt inverter.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Haven't, but that would be too inconvenient I think. I will probably just wire a switch right inside the cabinet under the cooktop or the sink.
Yes that is what I did also. Nice install!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice looking install, Joe. Hope it gives you, (Annette) many years of service.

Tags
install, led