Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Induction cooktops?

Anybody using induction cooktops? I had never hear of this but now I'm very curious. I understand that the cooktop does not get hot. It sounds like one of these would not heat up the RV as much as a gas cooktop in the summer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just ordered a True Induction dual burner inset cooktop for my coach.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

Induction cooktops?

I think there are at least three threads about induction cooktops intake past month. I am considering it, but only as an addition to the gas cooktop and not a replacement. They need lots of power, so likely to be used only at a campground with hookups. Portable units can be taken outside with no worry about wind for smelly stuff like shellfish. Check out http://theinductionsite.com.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Induction tops have been around for a long time. They heat by strong magnetic induced field...it causes the iron content of the pans to get hot. Which leads to the fact that ONLY iron pans will work on induction tops. You test your pans with a magnet....if a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan it will do a decent job with that type of cook top.
What makes them attractive....???? They are easy to maintain....good to look at...and quick to heat (if you have the 240 v type). One of the selling points for the top is usually offered as...you can place your hand next to the burner that is heating and not get burned.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On some rigs an induction cooktop is an option or even standard. I know Newmar has them as options in some models.
The CC Magna we're about to buy has a two burner cooktop and a 5 gallon propane tank and I'm thinking about changing to an induction one.
The cooktop will get warm but it's heat transfer to the cooktop from the pan and not the cooktop directly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Joe,
Just a little input,My wife has 2 of the Nuwave induction cooktops.One for the home and the other for the MH and she just loves them and they do not heat up the MH.You can use cast iron cookware that does work with these.Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Since getting two Pro NuWave induction cooktops, we haven’t used the gas stove even once.

The pro model top power rating is 1800 watts, but it cooks so efficiently that it seldom uses anywhere near that. We like induction so much that we replaced the range in our stick and brick with a new induction/convection range.

Among the advantages are:
1. Very efficient.
2. Nothing hot except the cooking container.
3. Much faster than gas in temperature change. Change the heat setting and it happens immediately. Of course plain electric is not even in the running for this issue.

The only disadvantages are:
1. Requires “induction” cookware. A magnet must stick to the bottom of the cooking utensil for it to work.
2. Some limitation of cooking pot diameter. Some units balk at pots whose diameter is much smaller than the induction eye ring. This hasn’t been a problem with the NuWave cooktop. It was a problem with a Samsung stick and brick range, but not a problem with the replacement Frigidaire range.

We started using an electric hot plate some time ago instead of the propane stove because of the pain of propane tank filling. We use the generator when not connected to the grid because getting diesel is much easier to find than finding propane.

We don’t use the inverter for either the induction cooktop or convection/microwave since both draw too much current from the batteries and are not well suited to modified sine wave inverters.

For us, induction is the only way to go.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I realize I should have done a search on this one! I found lots of previous info to look at. I really appreciate your comments! I'm gonna look at installing the True Induction cooktop in the MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

We're planning some remodel work in the coach for 2015. We have to options laid out on cooking:

1) Replace standard Atwood 3 burner LP stove top, with a higher BTU capable 3 burner unit. And add a counter top induction unit.

2) Replace the standard Atwood 3 burner LP stove top, with a high BTU single burner on one side, and a two element induction unit on the side of it. (Found two, that I think with a bit of craftsmanship style magic, can be mounted within the same space as the three burner Atwood. Some trickiness in getting the grate of the LP to be the same level as the induction.)

2B) Add the single high BTU LP, and purchase the counter top induction. Cut the existing matching solid surface stove top surface in half, so that it can be mounted permanently to the side of the single LP burner. ) This space would either provide more counter prep space, or would be where placed the counter top induction to be under the vent hood.

While I have an opinion on what we should do. I'm an experienced enough husband to know that what the DW wants - is what we will do!!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our coach is all electric with induction. We use the coach and portable induction and really like them.

"Complaints to the chef can be hazardous to the health"
Old 02-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #11

I installed True Induction in fall of 2013. Wife loves it. We also have Induction range in stick & bricks. Sure makes a difference in how much heat gets generated when cooking in Motorhome. Here is a link to some pictures I took before and after install.
True Induction Install
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

If you are changing over keep in mind that you will be using a lot of AC power to heat a pot of water. I understand them and do not want one because I prefer gas. I do not need any other power to run it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

Besides creating little heat. The other good point is they do not use a lot of power. A 30 amp motorhome may have to watch what they have on. But a 50 amp will have no problems. Our 2 burner use 15 amp max.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
You don't have to have iron cookware. There is stainless cookware made for induction cooktops. It must have some iron in it, but not so's you'd notice. I have this set. It's lighter than iron, works great, and stacks into a small package for easy storage.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote