Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Induction cookware

We are thinking about changing the gas cooktop out to a True Induction cooktop. Annette thinks the new cookware would be too expensive. What would a good set of induction cookware cost?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any metal pot will work cast iron etc and look for induction cookware search online and look in stores like Williams &Sonoma

Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure the cookware you have won't work? What kind do you have now? If a magnet sticks to the bottom, it'll work. Otherwise, most brands have induction compatible cookware now.

For non-stick, we're quite happy with this line of skillets: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Textured...dp/B005473FMO/
Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
Any metal pot will work cast iron etc and look for induction cookware search online and look in stores like Williams &Sonoma
Not any metal pot. Pure Aluminum doesn't work.

No need to go to the expensive specialty shops like W-S. Do a search on Amazon.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any and all cookware that you currently own that is magnetic will work on an induction cooktop. I mainly use Lodge cast iron skillets, and three Lodge flat bottom porcelain coated Dutch ovens for 90% of my cooking on the induction cooktop at home.

For a motorhome, a "fancy set" I would recommend is the A10-366-IND Stainless Steel, Ceramic coated self-nesting set , for induction made my Magma. It's $284 on their site, or $under $206 on Amazon.

In my motorhome I use a Coleman Stainless Steel Expedition series camping cookware set, (discontinued long ago). I use a NuWave PIC, (Portable Induction Cooktop - as seen on TV). I also regularly use a Fagor Classic 6 Quart Classic pressure cooker with the induction cooktop in my coach for big FAST meals.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

If a magnet will stick to the bottom of the pot, then it will work on an induction cooktop. In fact, when I bought my induction cooktop, it came with a refrigerator magnet to test pots with.

No aluminum, of course, but even (some) stainless cookware will work. I have a set of tri-clad (stainless over a copper core) and the saucepans work on induction but the saute pan doesn't- who knows?

Once you have it you will never go back to regular electric.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just bought this 10 piece stainless steel induction cook set that easily nests within one another for great storage. It's made for RVers and boaters. I also bought the matching colander.

Amazon.com: Magma 10 Piece Stainless Steel Induction Cook-Top Gourmet Nesting Cookware Set: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pots.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	94106  
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe & Annette,

Recently purchased a great set of cookware from Costco. com. Tri-ply and induction capable. We really love the set and it is a great value!

See here:http://m.costco.com/Cuisinart%C3%82%...100099062.html

Stuart
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I just bought this 10 piece stainless steel induction cook set that easily nests within one another for great storage. It's made for RVers and boaters. I also bought the matching colander.

Amazon.com: Magma 10 Piece Stainless Steel Induction Cook-Top Gourmet Nesting Cookware Set: Sports & Outdoors
I also bought the pot protectors so that you don't have the clanging noise as you're driving down the highway.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all metal works..This information comes from the instruction manual that came with MY induction cooktop..

Test cookware with the enclosed magnet (Note any refrigerator magenet will work) if the magnet does not stick then the cookware will not work.

Some Stainless it will not stick to,,Aluminum and copper are no go

Steel. (non stainless) some stainless, and cast iron are all good.

I have some T-Fal Professional series fry pans.. A Lodge dutch oven and some other pans it works well with.

I would rather cook with gas.. but that costs more.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks! I appreciate all the info! That Magma set looks nice, but is there a skillet in it that I'm not seeing?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #12

We bought a Rapid Chef set that we have used for two years full timing. We are very pleased with the small space taken up with the nesting feature and the ease of clean up. You might want to price shop at marine websites for galley ware in case you can get better pricing. We bought from this company without problem.
Rapid Chef the Supercooker, Pressure Cooker Pressure Fryer | 16pc Rapid Chef Nesting Cookware | Pro-Selections
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I too looked at the magna set but it was just not have what I needed for a well rounded cookware set. Also, the magna is only triply on the bottom. For that reason I opted for the set in my previous post. Once you use a full triply cookware set, triply all the way up the sides, you will never go back. Much more even heat throughout the pots and pans.

I have made it a priority to have a good versatile cookware set and have made the room to store them. All things considered for me, if I bought the magna set, I would need to buy another pot or pan to supplement to round out the set and therefore would not gain that much savings in storage.

Don't get me wrong, the magna is a great set but may not be worth the compromises in versatility and price compared to other sets available. I wish someone would make a good quality nestling set made with triply throughout and include a versatile useful fry pan.

Just one other point of view,

Stuart
Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....When we changed out our gas cooktop to the True Induction unit, we also bought the Magma cook set. It's a really GOOD quality set and the nesting makes for easy storage. I also ordered their pot protectors to make sure everything is quiet.

You;re right,, it doesn't come with a large skillet. I looked for that separately and found a nice 12" model that we bought separately. I just can't say enough about the quality of the Magma unit for the price.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote