Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If you spill something on the mat it has to be cleaned so why not just clean the glass cooktop?

I use it for two reasons. First is to keep the pans from sliding around on the cooktop when stirring with one hand. Second is to prevent my cast iron skillet from scratching the glass surface. I still need to clean spills, drips, etc. off the cooktop and the mat when I'm finished.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I use it for two reasons. First is to keep the pans from sliding around on the cooktop when stirring with one hand. Second is to prevent my cast iron skillet from scratching the glass surface. I still need to clean spills, drips, etc. off the cooktop and the mat when I'm finished.

Mike

Mike, where did you get them? Maybe a link? Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Amazon.com: VonShef Induction Hob Heat Diffuser Stainless Steel with Heat Proof Handle Available in Two Sizes (9.25"): Kitchen & Dining

Wish I had one of these before we gave away our All Clad that was not induction rated. We use the portable Nu Wave induction cookers. One is on the counter and one put away until needed. The nice thing is the stove top cover is level with the rest of the counter so we have not seen the stove top in a couple of years except for cleaning. Being able to move the Nuvi to an optimum cooking place is really nice and we still have the backup of the propane when the Zombies begin to invade.

If you read the negative reviews it might make you think twice about that! Of course I realize you can't please everybody, but their descriptions of the problems encountered would keep me from buying it!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Mike, where did you get them? Maybe a link? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008P6ESNG?

Mike
Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #33
YC1

Quote:
If you read the negative reviews it might make you think twice about that! Of course I realize you can't please everybody, but their descriptions of the problems encountered would keep me from buying it!

I read several reports but for the price I would have tried it. I hated giving away my beautiful set of pots and pans.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008P6ESNG?

Mike

Mike, I see this mat is only 9" in diameter, whereas the True Induction mat is 10", plus the True Induction mat is a little less expensive!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #35

Let me add a word about the Magma cookware.

1. It is very high quality and is very heave. It is heaver than our Circulon in the stick and brick. If I didn't have the Circulon I'd buy the Magma for the house

2. It can be had in either full stainless steel which is non induction or stainless steel with the bottom compounded for induction. Both types can be had non teflon non-stick.

3. There are two removable handles that are as secure as any standard handle and are easy to attach and unattach. A big advantage of the removable handles is that with the handle removed any of the set can be used in a convection/microwave with the turntable rotating.

If you have a slow cook option on your convection/microwave like the Sharp, you can turn any of the pans into a slow cooker by using a pot, the lid, and the slow cook option on the oven.

Without the handles, baking bread in the convection oven is a delight.

4. The units are oven safe to 450 degrees.

5. A steamer insert is available that nests perfectly in the set. We use it often for mussels and such.

6. A lid that fits all pans is included. The only minor down side is that it is metal so you can't see the stuff inside as you cook and its handle gets hot.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #36

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Mike, I see this mat is only 9" in diameter, whereas the True Induction mat is 10", plus the True Induction mat is a little less expensive!

When I purchased mine, the True Induction mat was more expensive, and my 9" mats were on sale for under $10. I don't think the True Induction mat is being produced any more, so if you like it, don't wait too long. I don't think the size makes any difference, as I regularly use a large covered pan that is 12" diameter on the bottom with the 9" mats.

Enjoy your new cooktop. It takes a bit of adjustment, but feels normal to me now. I used to get headaches from the propane, and we had a close call with a gas leak in the basement kitchen of our S&B that drove us to change to all-electric indoor cooking.

Mike
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe,

Thanks for the purchase info on the True Induction unit. Looking forward to seeing your install pics.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Joe,

Thanks for the purchase info on the True Induction unit. Looking forward to seeing your install pics.

Right now I'm using one of those oscillating Multi-Function tools to cut out the lip at the bottom so it's even with the sides. It's SLOW work!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Right now I'm using one of those oscillating Multi-Function tools ...
They're not really very good at sawing stuff.

If I were buying pans for induction, I'd buy the best ones I could afford since good ones should last forever. I wouldn't buy a set unless I needed everything in it. The exception to "best" would be anything with a non-stick surface, as that will wear out long before the rest of the pan does. The Green Pan type are absolutely horrible choices. They are amazing when you first get them, but over a few months things begin to stick and they end up worse to use than any uncoated pan ever would be.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #40

Quote:
If you spill something on the mat it has to be cleaned so why not just clean the glass cooktop?

It's protects from scratching the glass. I have a induction popcorn popper that requires some shaking to get all the popcorn popped. Stops wife from getting on my case about scratches. They are always on the cook top.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just finished cutting the bottom lip off all the way around the opening. I took me 2 1/2 hours with the Multi-Function too! Now I just have to sand the edges smooth because they will all be showing!

Man, talk about a mess! That powder is all over everything! I'll have to vacuum every inch of the kitchen and living area!

Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #42

After months of searching, we decided on the TeFal "Professional" cookware set(it is their only induction cookware). In fact, DW likes them so much she now has a set in the house and another in the MH. The NuWave cooktop works great and so does the TeFal cookware oven, 2 of them too.
I was very surprised at how little heat is added to the interior of the MH, vs LP cooking. Now the only LP we use is for on-the-road frig and interior heat in cold weather.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote