RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Induction Grilling

So yesterday I went to the store and bought a Lodge cast iron grill pan and use it on a Nuwave induction cooktop to cook a steak. It turned out great so this got me thinking about getting rid of my Webber gas grill and going to induction only less to clean, lighter in weight, I don't need to clean the grill after every trip and the mice won't be attracted to it as bad.

Is anyone using induction for a grill? If so how do you like it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a single hob induction unit from Wal*Mart to try out induction in the stick house. Liked it so well I took out the Princess cooktop in the MH and put in a TrueInduction unit.
Found that my old, antique Griswold cast iron pans that I inherited work great on the induction.
Now, I haven't tried it for grilling though.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The lodge grill pan worked great but needs to be used outside. So tonight Im cooking chicken on it outside. It makes a mess like cooking bacon, but still less work than cleaning a grill.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love the induction cooktop in the MH but want those charcoal grilled burgers and steaks outside!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

I do not have an induction grill or stove top so i am no help there.

I do like steak and recently gave cooking a steak in cast iron and was impressed with the results.

I am that guy who thinks grilling over propane should be against the law. Charcoal or nothing, lump charcoal and wood chips even better. The thought of using cast iron to prepare a steak just sounded like a way to ruin a good steak and the only people who would do that are people who have never bothered to learn to grill proper. I was wrong!

Heat cast iron up real hot, give a steak maybe 2 min a side then toss a lid on it and toss that into the convection oven at 400 for maybe 5 min or so then remove steak and let rest in foil for 5 or so more min. Best steak I ever made. Thought maybe i just got the best piece of meat i ever purchased and that was the difference so 4 days later i grill one.........it was good but not as good as the cast iron steak. Just to be sure (and it is a reason to eat steak again) i tried it again a few days later. Cast iron is now my go to when i want a great steak.

Me and the guy at the meat counter at the local store are gonna be best friends!
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

I've found the best way to cook a slab of beef is with hot, cast iron. Garlic, butter and a sprig of fresh Rosemary and you've got yourself some fine eating. Also love using it for fish, especially salmon fillets. When camping I use a Weber Q outside for pretty much everything, and it helps in keeping the heat down inside the rig, but have often wondered if a convection single burner unit I could plug up outside would heat the cast iron skillet up hot enough to sear the meat. Glad there's a thread started and I hope someone will advise!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
I've found the best way to cook a slab of beef is with hot, cast iron. Garlic, butter and a sprig of fresh Rosemary and you've got yourself some fine eating. Also love using it for fish, especially salmon fillets. When camping I use a Weber Q outside for pretty much everything, and it helps in keeping the heat down inside the rig, but have often wondered if a convection single burner unit I could plug up outside would heat the cast iron skillet up hot enough to sear the meat. Glad there's a thread started and I hope someone will advise!

Yes, the 120 vac induction will make that cast iron smokin hot. I recently got a 2 burner size steel griddle and an EBay cast iron skillet. Iím considering leaving my Weber Q at home.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I found using a grill mat on a weber is a great way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Grillaholics-...as+grill&psc=1

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those using cast iron, they make silicone pads that sit on the induction surface under the pan. It doesn't interfere with cooking and protects the glass top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Induct...EAAOxy4dNS3qwM
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
For those using cast iron, they make silicone pads that sit on the induction surface under the pan. It doesn't interfere with cooking and protects the glass top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Induct...EAAOxy4dNS3qwM
Yep, that's what I have too. Leave them on the hob all the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also got tired of pulling out the Weber grill and found a great way to cook meat. Our convection oven in the coach has the two round racks for convection cooking. I took a piece of the black grill mat (the mats they're selling for your BBQ) and cut it into a circle, just a little larger than the round rack. I place pork chops, chicken and especially ribeyes on the round mat and cook, usually at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, depending on the meat (I don't preheat). The meat cooks in it's own juices, captured by the mat, and browns nicely. My ribeyes come out better and juicier than on the BBQ.

Each time I get a particular meat just right, I write down the time and temp on a 3x5 card and keep it in the cupboard.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote