Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Inflatable Kayak

Looking at getting me a kayak. Looking towards the Sea Eagle 370 inflatable kayak. Anyone have this or any other inflatable kayak experience? Thinking inflatable a lot easier to transport. I'm wanting a tandem. All opinions appreciated. This will be used in the ocean.
Thanks
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenygy45 View Post
Looking at getting me a kayak. Looking towards the Sea Eagle 370 inflatable kayak. Anyone have this or any other inflatable kayak experience? Thinking inflatable a lot easier to transport. I'm wanting a tandem. All opinions appreciated. This will be used in the ocean.
Thanks
Ken
DO NOT BUY AN INFLATABLE KAYAK!!!!!!!!!

They are typically terrible in regard to holding up in any type of surf. The steer ability is terrible as well. Invest in a good "hard-bodied" one and enjoy the water.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you buy any kayak arrange for a test paddle. Rent one. Go on a guided paddle. Do more research. Just don't buy on a whim.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought the Hobie inflatable two person kayak a couple of years ago Hobie Mirage Inflatable Tandem Kayak i14t - 2013 - austinkayak.com - Product Details. The Hobie has the Mirage Drive pedal system that lets you either pedal or row. Our inflatable is very stable. I'm pretty heavy and between my wife and I we're at 450 pounds. The pedals make it fun and fast. We do mostly lakes, rivers and ocean bay/breakwater area without issue.

We use an electric pump to inflate the kayak in about 3-5 minutes. It has a couple different options for wheels that slip under the kayak for transferring it to the water. They also sell large sand wheels.

The entire kayak folds up into a bag with the exception of the Mirage drive pedal system. The bag is approximately 18" x 36" x 48" and weighs about 75 pounds. It has wheels on one end like luggage. It's ackward to handle, but our friends stow theirs in one of their storage bays. We don't have a bay that it will fit, so I carry it on one of those Harbor Freight hitch racks.

Depending on how you'll use it and where, the inflatable is a good choice if you don't want to have to figure out how to carry a hard sided model, especially a two seater.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

I think you will find the Sea Eagle to be a nice pool toy. The Hobie mentioned above is a serious kayak. Sea Eagle at $350 vs. Hobie I14t at $2700. Not even comparable.

Still, I believe a rigid kayak is the way to go, I have two of them, an Ocean and an Old Town. They do present transportation problems. If you are looking to an inflatable as a solution to transporting a kayak, the pleasure of actually kayaking will be quickly diminished with an inexpensive inflatable. Another solution is to rent a rigid kayak at your destination.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. About 1K with pro seats/paddles. Inflatable keel in front and removable fin keel in rear for shallow water. Twin keels provide tracking not normally seen in kayaks. Tremendous load capacity, 650 pounds i think. More than enough for two and gear. Stand up paddle - try that in a hard shell. Self bailing. Rated class three white water. Can not provide personal comment on use in surf but in white water it is as good as any. Agree hard shells have advantages but in rv life style stuff on roof is a PITA. Ours stores to two bags and thats all safety gear and a small trailer that goes in kayak so I can come out anywhere I want. We just throw bags in any vehicle and go.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Check out Advanced Elements. We have a couple and they work great.
Inflatable Kayaks | Kayaks made for recreational, high performance, sit-on-top self bailing and multi-use.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Also check out the Lynx or Super Lynx from Aire.
They were used by outfitters for trips on the middle fork of the salmon river - I've paddled one through class 4 rapids with no problems.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Check Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track. About 1K with pro seats/paddles. Inflatable keel in front and removable fin keel in rear for shallow water. Twin keels provide tracking not normally seen in kayaks. Tremendous load capacity, 650 pounds i think. More than enough for two and gear. Stand up paddle - try that in a hard shell. Self bailing. Rated class three white water. Can not provide personal comment on use in surf but in white water it is as good as any. Agree hard shells have advantages but in rv life style stuff on roof is a PITA.
X2. Right now they have a 180 day risk free guarantee.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

I have a Levalor (sp?) cheap one that is great for just paddling around in calm water. We used it in Ucluelet Inlet (salt water) in BC. You need a skeg (fixed rudder) for it to go straight. If you're looking for something for white water, this is not it. I keep it in a large suitcase.