Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #15

My buddy and I just had the Sea Eagle out on a big lake with some wind but a lot of wake. It was such
a dog to control. We will reserve it for flat water and calm rivers. My hard shell is so much easier to control.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #16

We have 3 sit on tops but we have a toyhauler
Our little 11lb dog comes on the sit on tops in our daughters kayak....luckily being so small he can do it easily with no troubles. We get close he will jump from kayak to kayak and he looks so cute in his life jacket

We had an inflatable. Bleck. No comparison we thought to our hard shell.

It was gone fast. We love hard shell. We use ours a lot but like you sometimes they sat but most times they are used. Would rather bring and not use them, instead of wanting to use them and not bring 'em

but it truly is personal preference on how much you will use them. We wouldn't be happy without bringing them. We target state parks with rivers and lakes and ocean and my Ocean kayak does fab in the waves. No one else in the family will do ocean kayaking but I will, they can't handle big waves and such.

if you love them, find a way to bring them
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #17

We carry a 310 SPD Achilles inflatable boat and 9.9 Yamaha outboard. Much easier to paddle and a good bit faster than kayaks. Also fits nicely in a storage compartment.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
We have this inflatable kayak and like it just fine.
https://www.rei.com/product/736947/a...flatable-kayak

Prior to this we'd been using in hard shell kayaks, but didn't have our our own, always rented.
We went for a couple of two hour paddles last weekend and thought it was just fine. It tracked fine and didn't have any trouble keeping up with my sis and BIL in their kayaks. (actually BIL was in a sit on to kayak and sis was on a hybrid Stand-up Paddleboard/Kayak.
When we got back they took our kayak out for a short spin and said that it paddled well and that they didn't notice any obvious different JUST because it was an inflatable.
Obviously there were difference in what they just were using, but it would be different just going to a sit inside kayak.
We're paddle about and enjoy nature type kayakers, we're not out on speed runs or anything like that.
We have the same inflatable and really like it. I have even fished out of it. The major disadvantage to the inflatable is drying it out completely before you put it away. The hard shells you can just throw on top of the car and go.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #19

The drying out is a big hassle.

I am going to bring mine home from the coaxh to our house. I will take it if we need a kayak for guests.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #20

Advanced Elements has good line of inflatables, these are the closet models to hard shells I have seen

Harry
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #21

Is a sit on kayak taller than the ac unit on your roof? If not would it stow on the roof of your rig and still be under the height concerns?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Is a sit on kayak taller than the ac unit on your roof? If not would it stow on the roof of your rig and still be under the height concerns?

That's a nice out of the way place, but getting it up and down won't be easy. A two person sit on will weigh at least 60 lbs.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #23

The roof would be too hard for us. Its either on a rack or on the toad.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
That's a nice out of the way place, but getting it up and down won't be easy. A two person sit on will weigh at least 60 lbs.

Joel
I agree. We have a nice two person hard kayak, but there's no way I'm going to try to haul that 12' beastie up onto the RV.
Which is why we went to an inflatable.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I agree. We have a nice two person hard kayak, but there's no way I'm going to try to haul that 12' beastie up onto the RV.
Which is why we went to an inflatable.

I'm glad that don't have that problem, anymore. This is how I carry my 18' canoe when I'm pulling my 5th wheel.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Roof.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	204475  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #26

Nice setup.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #27

I'm glad that don't have that problem, anymore. This is how I carry my 18' canoe when I'm pulling my 5th wheel.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails

That's how we carried our small fishing boat. We also had wheels on the rear to wheel it easily to the water. Worked great! We sold it while parked in the desert.... really! We found we didn't use it enough to haul around.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Advanced Elements has good line of inflatables, these are the closet models to hard shells I have seen

Harry
X2... mine is almost 10 years old. Paddle and sit in a really good inflatable and you will never look back.

Inflatable Kayaks | Inflatable SUPs | Kayak Accessories | Advanced Elements
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad