Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Info on a '95 Coachmen Destiny 38'?

Hi guys, I am new here (like 1 hour). I have tried searching all the threads and googled everything I could but cannot find my answers.
My misses and I are looking at purchasing a 1995 (but I think it could be 94) Coachmen Destiny, 38', with a 8.3 L Cummins, 6 speed auto with 24.5" tires.
The Coach looks in good shape and has work done to it. I have spent 3 days trying to search saftey and consumer ratings. with not having much luck.
So does anyone in these forums have one of these? I know its a older Coach, but it fits our budget and we would travel a small amount with it, 2weeks being longest stretch and some weekends. Main things we want is something dependable and can tow my car trailer once in a while (maybe 6-8 weekends) in the summer.
so we need a 10,000lb towing capacity.
if anyone in here can help me thank in advance..
Allan
71gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You won't find much safety or consumer info on such a low volume vehicle. The Cummins 8.3 is a reliable engine, I assume it has an Allison transmission, also very good. A little surprised at 24.5" tires, they're usually 22.5", but no issue. If you want more info on the engine, type the VIN number into Cummins website. You can do the same with the Allison trans. serial number. An oil analysis on engine and trans fluids could give indication of the drive train health. Also suggest you check age of the tires, seldom do RV tires wear out, they age out and become iffy after about 7 years.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Be sure to check function of all appliances, including generator to be sure you aren't buying a money pit. Most all RV systems have manuals available on line, make a list of make and model of each system and use Google.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you so much for the reply.
Yes transmission is a Allison. Tires are 1 year old Michelin. I was surprised that it has 24.5 rubber also. We have not bought it yet as I am trying to do home work on it. It has good service records as the current owner purchased it from the original owner. He has service records from date of build. Is there any other questions I should ask & any particular things to look at?
once again thank you so much!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Allan - you might consider getting an independent inspection done. See if there's one in your area from these guys.

RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America!

The biggest problem with older coaches is water damage. Look for signs of leaking - water stains on the ceiling, wallpaper/laminated panels separating from the structure, soggy carpets, etc.

Also, post over in the vintage RV forum (yes 1995 qualifies as vintage).
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Findind safety info on older (pre 21st century) rigs may take some digging, the national government recalls database however should go back that far.

I would inspect the coach in at least two ways,, First, look for evidence of leaks and/or wood rot, soft spots in floor or roof, bubbles in side walls (inside or out) water stains were water should not be.

A good RV technician can help here, Also check the RV systems.

Then have a good truck mechanic go over it as well. Checking the vehicle systems.

If problems found,, work it out with the seller (DISCOUNT TIME).

If
Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I would visually inspect every square inch of the motorhome and look in every nook and cranny, inside, outside and underneath. I would be inspecting for obvious damage, rust, water leaks and fully functioning appliances. When inside the MH I would be looking at the roof condition for obvious water leaks and that would include using a flashlight in each and every ceiling mounted cabinet. I would also be inspecting the wooden floor areas underneath and behind the floor level pull out drawers looking for water leaks. Similarly I would be looking at the area surrounding the water heater (located underneath a rear bedroom closet, removable bottom shelf in my MH) for past water leaks.

When looking over the chassis I would be looking for damaged or worn suspensions parts, air bag condition and the extent of chassis rust. I would inspect as much of the radiator area/CAC with flashlight looking for dirt accumulation and damaged fins. While inspecting the engine compartment I would be checking all the hoses for condition--especially those located near by the turbocharger for heat damage.

When I looked at the maintenance records I would be looking at each service invoice to see exactly what maintenance and/or repairs where made. I would be looking for "consistent" fluid and filter changes (oil, fuel and hydraulic) every 15K miles (for the oil and fuel filters--a bit longer for the hydraulic) or no more then 18 months to two years for a DP. I would want to make sure that the belts and hoses had been changed out within the last three years or so.

My inspection would be done wearing old cloths that allowed me to crawl all over the MH like stink on you know what. Nothing would escape my intense scrutiny and nitpicking because I would realize that every component I failed to inspect and or test might be costing me $ down the road.

You might want to double check the towing capacity on the MH as it may only be 7,000 lbs. and not 10,000. I say this as my 40' 2000 Country Coach with a Cat C10 can only tow 7,000 lbs. and I don't think they were rated at 10,000 lbs. until a year or so later. Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
wow guys thanks!!!!
i reposted this on the vintage MH but have not had any replies. I am hoping to go look at this MH next week. I also struggled with it have 10K towing being a 95 seller says it is. I requested VIN# and will contact Frieghtliner to verify.
Once again guys thank you for all your help!!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
The capacities should be listed on a sticker to the left of the driver's seat.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
the only thing that baffles me, is he said its a 400HP 8.3 litter cummins, i have search google high & low and cannot find any specs saying that engine can have that horse power unless its in marine application...
so I am cautious here... everything I could find said 8.3 were 250 to about 325HP...
can anyone comment on this?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #10

24.5 inch rubber...you sure?

If so that may be tough to find in a jamb.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have not seen the MH yet, this is what the owner has told me. The MH is 500 miles from me and I am going to look at it next week. So I am trying to find from experienced motorhome owners what I should look at....
Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Search forum for checklist and you will find many.

Print out a few and use them to help you keep track.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do not know if it is me...
but trying to search within the forums is a nightmare...
unless I am doing something wrong...
the 2nd MH we are looking at is a 1992 American Eagle...
it has had a lot of work done to it...
roof resealed, 10 new batteries, propane all certified, some engine & genie work..
very impressive service records...
Old 02-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gto View Post
I do not know if it is me...
but trying to search within the forums is a nightmare...
unless I am doing something wrong...
the 2nd MH we are looking at is a 1992 American Eagle...
it has had a lot of work done to it...
roof resealed, 10 new batteries, propane all certified, some engine & genie work..
very impressive service records...
Well on the 24.5 rims and tires, not that uncommon of a tire for semi truck, as most of the O/O spec truck's have them, just unusual for a MH.
A 24.5 low pro tire is the same height as a 22.5 high profile tire! It will change the speedometer about 5 to 7 mph, in the difference in height from low pro 22.5 to low pro 24.5! The last owner may have wanted to drop his rpm's a bit at driving speeds? Maybe he just liked the bigger rim?
As far as the difference between a Coachmen Destiny and a American Eagle, difference is Med End for the Destiny, High end for the Eagle! Not wanting to step on any toes, but, you will see, very quickly, the differences! 3 years difference in age will not mean much! Impressive service records, mean a lot! As the others have said, the biggest thing is water intrusion, so look very closely! Have fun! There are many to chose from! Let us know? Rail!

Tags
coachmen