Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Initial Financing

Well, after reading everyone's very helpful thoughts, opinions, and advice.....we are looking into trading our 2010 Cameo 5th and 2010 Ram 3500 for a class A. Initially what we've run into is no one wants to loan me money. Reason....I don't owe enough people. No comparables. I operate mostly on cash. We have taken out auto loans, loan for the 5er and trucks but paid them off relatively quickly. House was built in 1993 and paid for in 1998, so no mortgage for some time. Have great credit score but again...no comparables.

Anyone else run into a similar issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Well, after reading everyone's very helpful thoughts, opinions, and advice.....we are looking into trading our 2010 Cameo 5th and 2010 Ram 3500 for a class A. Initially what we've run into is no one wants to loan me money. Reason....I don't owe enough people. No comparables. I operate mostly on cash. We have taken out auto loans, loan for the 5er and trucks but paid them off relatively quickly. House was built in 1993 and paid for in 1998, so no mortgage for some time. Have great credit score but again...no comparables.

Nope...have a pretty good credit score 'cuz we have a mortgage on the house and RV (tax deductions on the interest paid), and credit cards to use their money for a month and get cash back

SO - THE REASON for the reply...a year ago, we sold our (very nice) Denali TT to acquire our new-to-us Motorhome, so we went to several dealers to talk about trade-in and consignment deals.

At one large dealer, suprisingly we met the general managing partner...he was very frank and told us that we were cheating ourselves if we did a trade-in or consignment sale.

He said his business (right then) on TT's and 5th Wheel was 60% cash buyers. And the RV market was re-bounding with towables being the HOT TICKET, so he suggested that we try a private sale first.

We are in a medium metropolitan area - kinda' near a major city, so there is a large population to advertise to.

Long story short...in just over a month, we sold the TT to a family that intended to full-time for $2000 more than we had expected at consignment and MUCH more than trade-in value.

Good luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Your only option may be to get a credit line on your house, although that may mess up your longer-term plans.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear

The key to obtaining financing is basically this.
A. Credit score above 720, and easier if it is more than 760
B. Debt to income (including the new purchase) isn't greater than 45%, better if it is closer to 40%
C. Stable income sources....long term employment
D. Liquid reserves...lenders want to know you can make payments if you have a temporary cash shortfall
E. No late payment history, BK, or charge offs
F. Better if you have had an RV loan previously...shows reliability
G. Loan to value is solid. Lenders want to see if you have enough skin in the game. Upwards of 20-30% cash down
H. Some lenders want to see no larger payment of 12-15% of your gross monthly income...most don't

I hope this is helpful. We just financed 100k, and there are plenty of lenders willing to go 15-20 yrs on 10 yr or newer rv. Interest rates are good, 4.5-5.5% fixed for life of the loan. There are a lot of lenders advertising low rates, but once again they are very picky. I can't hardly blame them considering the repo's. If a borrower gets into financial trouble, the RV is probably the first thing to go. Good Luck
Bizprocoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

Nope...have a pretty good credit score 'cuz we have a mortgage on the house and RV (tax deductions on the interest paid), and credit cards to use their money for a month and get cash back

SO - THE REASON for the reply...a year ago, we sold our (very nice) Denali TT to acquire our new-to-us Motorhome, so we went to several dealers to talk about trade-in and consignment deals.

At one large dealer, suprisingly we met the general managing partner...he was very frank and told us that we were cheating ourselves if we did a trade-in or consignment sale.

He said his business (right then) on TT's and 5th Wheel was 60% cash buyers. And the RV market was re-bounding with towables being the HOT TICKET, so he suggested that we try a private sale first.

We are in a medium metropolitan area - kinda' near a major city, so there is a large population to advertise to.

Long story short...in just over a month, we sold the TT to a family that intended to full-time for $2000 more than we had expected at consignment and MUCH more than trade-in value.

Good luck!
Scarab008...how did you advertise the for sale?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Scarab008...how did you advertise the for sale?
We did ads on every on-line RV ad site that we could find (and that were free)...but the buyer actually found us on Craigslist

You gotta think like a buyer...where would you look?

The trick with Craigslist: Keeping the ad near the top...pull the ad and re-post everu 3-5 days

And for any on-line ad...HAVE GOOD PICTURES!!! (4 on Craigslist and most of the other site are free and the ad can offer more pictures by e-mail). For our pictures, we even did the model home "staging" thing - like the mfgt's...the Mrs. actually enjoyed doing this part - with flowers, plates pretty napkins on the dinette, bed made, fresh towels in the bath, and all the cabinettes/bins empty and clean!

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It really stinks that the system "penalizes" folks who are such good risks.

Why fight it? Why not just use your paid for stick house as collateral? I would think you could even get better terms.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we had bank of the west deny use for every rv loan we ever applied for (3)

all off which we paid off early

go figure

we always got better rates else ware anyway
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

Well...latest update... Because I don't owe anything and because my house has been paid for for 14 years, no one wants to give me an RV loan. :-(. The dealers suggested I buy something less costly (which we don't care for) and keep for a year to "show" them I can be trusted with that kind of money/loan. Go figure. It's all such a racket. Guess we'll just have to pay cash if we want to do this. We were going to pay it off early anyway.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #10

Loans

Not sure why you are having problems. Camping World provided the name of a lender and 2 weeks later loan was approved with 20% down, great rate and term.
If your credit score is above 760 keep looking. Try some of the big boat/rv lenders Sterling, Scott etc.
My loan came from a small bank.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbluerunner
Not sure why you are having problems. Camping World provided the name of a lender and 2 weeks later loan was approved with 20% down, great rate and term.
If your credit score is above 760 keep looking. Try some of the big boat/rv lenders Sterling, Scott etc.
My loan came from a small bank.
It is around 762/764 they told me but all are saying..."no comparables". :-(
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Why not get a mortgage on your home? Once you have paid for several months, you will then have "comparables" to refi or pay it off early as you already planned to do.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We got a loan on purchase for 5.5% with 10% down. We then took advantage of our home and refinanced it at 2.875%, 10 years. That gives me a title free RV and clear, almost free money with plenty of equity on the home to sell it too.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
paz

Quote:
Well...latest update... Because I don't owe anything and because my house has been paid for for 14 years, no one wants to give me an RV loan. :-(. The dealers suggested I buy something less costly (which we don't care for) and keep for a year to "show" them I can be trusted with that kind of money/loan. Go figure. It's all such a racket. Guess we'll just have to pay cash if we want to do this. We were going to pay it off early anyway.
Not a good idea to buy a lower cost RV then trade it a year later on what you really want because you'll take a hit in depreciation, even if the lower cost RV is used.

Take out a home equity loan using your paid-for house as collateral and use the money to buy the RV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote