Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
What, then, could be the causes of some coaches not getting cool, and some owners saying that it's never been a problem?
bamaboy473
Me thinks it is simply a matter of some owners expecting more from their RV A/Cs than other owners.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #44

Cold air output temp depends on intake air 61 degrees means nothing. What you are looking for is temperature differential between intake and output about 20 degrees is normal.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Cold air output temp depends on intake air 61 degrees means nothing. What you are looking for is temperature differential between intake and output about 20 degrees is normal.
Excellent statement!

I don't think a sat dome sitting in front of your AC unit is going to affect the performance of your AC driving down the road!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #46

Our coach is smaller than many, and we keep the door closed from LR back.

If ambient is high 90s and the best we're getting inside is high 80s, is that normal?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #47

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Rick,I changed from a dome dish to Winegard Dish Traveler in Feb.. You should get 20* difference.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyjoe View Post
Rick,I changed from a dome dish to Winegard Dish Traveler in Feb.. You should get 20* difference.

...but does your statement conflict with what post #45 says? I'm all about removing the Sat Dome if needed (we don't use the TV). I'm all about replacing the 13,500 with a 15,000 if needed.

Heck, I'm all about taking the front 13.5 and installing it between the front and rear units; making this a 3-unit coach of 37'.

What I want to learn is why I'm not getting the cooler air conditioning that my bride needs in order to have a good day and....at the end, feed me. RV life isn't happy unless that happens, is it?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #49

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
My coach is 37'. When I was sitting still ,mid-day and the outside temp. was 105*,my inside temp. was 85* and very uncomfortable. With the coach running down the highway with the engine A/C on,my temp. dropped to a more comfortable 75*. I live in the mountains where the outside temp. never goes above 85*. Wife and I are happy. LOL.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #50

Do you have your dash air set to recirc? Is it blowing cold? If the outside air damper isn't shut you're adding a big heat load from your dash ac. Might want to verify proper operation of damper and dash ac.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
As someone who has driven hundreds of motorhomes, I can tell you two major facts. The make of motorhome is a major factor. Some motorhomes are better insulated than others. Period! I love Airstream motorhomes. The old tin cans will roast you alive. The outside is aluminum. The stringers (wall supports) aluminum. The inside wall is aluminum. The outside heat is transferred directly to the inside. The other big factor is firewall leaks. Shine a light at night on the firewall. Have someone look outside for openings. You will be amazed at how many motorhomes have openings in the firewall.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #52

voltage between 110 and 120 volts are golden. 115, perfect. Airflow shouldn't be an issue as the AC is designed to work sitting still with no wind over it. If you have an accurate thermometer, you should measure outside air temperature, and after running the AC for a few minutes, measure the cold (hopefully) air coming out of the vent. You should be able to find a manufactures chart that will show you acceptable temperature drop from outside to inside air. If low, suspect low refrigerant, which unfortunately would probably mean you have a refrigerant leak. At that point, it's off to the AC repairman.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
voltage between 110 and 120 volts are golden. 115, perfect. Airflow shouldn't be an issue as the AC is designed to work sitting still with no wind over it. If you have an accurate thermometer, you should measure outside air temperature, and after running the AC for a few minutes, measure the cold (hopefully) air coming out of the vent. You should be able to find a manufactures chart that will show you acceptable temperature drop from outside to inside air. If low, suspect low refrigerant, which unfortunately would probably mean you have a refrigerant leak. At that point, it's off to the AC repairman.
Good post. Today I'm going to measure the vent temp twice. Now, when it's 80, and later, when it's going to be 90 or better.

Re: the dash air comment. good point, and Yes, the recirc is ON (Max air) Dash air blows cool, but what saved us was the blowing air out of the ducts (combined with the two windshield fans directed at DW)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #54

The ambient temperature is obviously a factor as it relates to the level of insulation in the coach

The roof A/C units recirculate the air in the coach. On our coach, each roof A/C unit has an intake in the ceiling inside the coach. Air is drawn from the coach through a duct to the evaporator housing. The air travels through the evaporator transferring heat to the refrigerant. The cool air is blown back through ducting into the coach.

The air recirculates in this fashion, theoretically getting cooler and cooler. It will reach a point of equilibrium due to heat transfer through the walls, ceiling, windows and floor.

I'm sitting in Hollister, Missouri in direct sun with the outside temperature over 90 degrees. It's 76 degrees in my coach and the air coming out of the A/C ducts measures at ~50 degrees on my infrared non-contact thermometer. Driving down the road, it performs the same.
I should add that our Alpine Coach has five inches of roof insulation.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Wife and I have insulated our coach very well, this makes a huge difference. We have installed fiberglass in the entrance door, overhead in the front cap, step area and behind the dash (firewall). Also insulated our dash air ducts with Reflectix. We live in our coach so we find the cold spots as well as the hot spots. We also have Ceramic tinting on all windows,made a huge difference while driving. The upgrade we have done has another advantage, much quiter! Our coach also has no black or dark paint.

what is ceramic tinting and where can I find this? tks
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I'm sitting in Hollister, Missouri in direct sun with the outside temperature over 90 degrees. It's 76 degrees in my coach and the air coming out of the A/C ducts measures at ~50 degrees on my infrared non-contact thermometer. Driving down the road, it performs the same.
I should add that our Alpine Coach has five inches of roof insulation.

ah yes another choice I should check out. Any recommendations on what to properly use (roof insulation) to break down this heat and also be reliable not to crack and such?