Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Inside RV Gets Hot While Driving

I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty 43' that the AC works really well when parked.

I've checked all three A/C units and while parked they all blow about 61 degree air (according to my infrared thermometer) - i've checked all three independently.

My problem - while driving down the road, the kids get hot sitting about mid-way back in the coach.

Last year I had all the seals changed around all my slides thinking maybe this was the problem. That didn't fix the issue.

So I'm at a loss - any ideas on how to fix/trouble shoot this problem.

Thanks in advance!

-jw

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwilli View Post
I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty 43' that the AC works really well when parked.
I've checked all three A/C units and while parked they all blow about 61 degree air (according to my infrared thermometer) - i've checked all three independently.
My problem - while driving down the road, the kids get hot sitting about mid-way back in the coach.
Last year I had all the seals changed around all my slides thinking maybe this was the problem. That didn't fix the issue.
So I'm at a loss - any ideas on how to fix/trouble shoot this problem.
Thanks in advance!
-jw
Are you running all 3 roof A/Cs and the dash air while traveling?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
STart up your generator and run the house AC units. If you have a diesel gen - you probably won't even know the difference in your diesel consumption. If you have a propane, yes, you will notice it - but all will be comfortable. There is no problem running the generator while you are driving down the road. Actually does it good to run.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
STart up your generator and run the house AC units. If you have a diesel gen - you probably won't even know the difference in your diesel consumption. If you have a propane, yes, you will notice it - but all will be comfortable. There is no problem running the generator while you are driving down the road. Actually does it good to run.
X2 on running the genny. We do all the time with the roof air running if it's hot out.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

Sounds like he's running the genny. OP stated all 3 blow cold air when parked. I'd think he meant they don't when driving.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Sounds like he's running the genny. OP stated all 3 blow cold air when parked. I'd think he meant they don't when driving.

Didn't sound like he was running the gen to run the house ac. OP - are you and it's still not cold?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Definately running the gen

Thanks all for the replies. I'm definitely running the generators while going down the road and the dash air. I should have called that out.

As I mentioned last year I replaced all the slide seals thinking maybe I had an air leak but that didn't solve the problem. I also replaced all the foam material in the A/C covers thinking maybe it was an airflow issue across the coils. That didn't help either.

Last night I cleaned all the coil/condenser areas - they were not very dirty but we are getting ready for a trip and am trying to keep everyone cool while I drive.

The only thing I haven't done - and I plan to tonight, is to make sure I am not getting leakage from the intake side to the output side of the vents.

I know this all sounds so basic - I'm almost to a point of just replacing all three A/C units but think that would be a waste of money as they do such a good job cooling when I'm not moving down the road at 60 MPH.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have two A/C systems (may have many A/Cs) on that coach

HOUSE and "Truck" is what I will call them.

now. the HOUSE system is what you use when you are parked.. Shades drawn.. Plugged into shore power.. But unless you fire up the Generator it's not used on the road (SUGGESTION THERE.. Fire up generator USE house system).

The dash or "Truck" system is designed for say a Ford F-350 Custom or Chevy 30 Custom..

Next time you are somewhere with trucks look at the cab of the average truck.. NOTICE the size of the windows. Notice the size of the CAB.

Now.. Take a look at your RV's panoramic greehhouse size windshields and windows.. Look at the size of the house (not just cab)

See the problem.. Tiny A/C Big sun load, Big house.

Fire up ye old Generator and use all the A/C you got, Roof, Dash (Basement if you got it) everything.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Try precooling the coach before leaving, Also try keeping the rear door closed to help keep the motor heat out of the front area, turn the a.c fans on high on all units
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwilli View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I'm definitely running the generators while going down the road and the dash air. I should have called that out.

!

Just for grins, have you taken IR readings of the A/C output when you're driving down the road? Still 61 degrees, or not? That should tell you whether it's related to the A/C units, or to heat wicking into the coach.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In many RV's, once the slides are pulled in, the AC vents are partially (or completely) blocked off by the roof of the slides. In other words, the AC is working fine, but the cool air is blowing right down onto the slide's roof instead of filling up the cabin space. Maybe your situation is like this too? I have the same issue so I typically cool the rig down with the slides OUT for a few hours before a long trip, keep the AC running during the trip, and that's usually adequate. It's not as comfy as when we arrive and push out the slides, be it's ok.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jed, I am not familiar with your exact coach layout, so this may not help at all, but will throw it out there anyway.

Last year when I was working on the top of my engine from inside the Master Bedroom, before I closed everything up, had some left over Dynamat from a previous project, applied what I had to all the area's that I could under the plywood decking over the engine area.

This seemed to cut down on the heat transfer considerably, I was actually shocked how well it worked. This might be something worth trying for you, its pretty cheap, so you wont be out a lot of $$$ if does nothing for you.

Our house AC's cooled us down while traveling, but did not get cold by any means prior to installing the Dynamat. I would say 85 was the norm in the Master Bedroom while traveling. With the Dynamat we can now get into the 78 range.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Our coach house air also struggles to keep the interior much under 79-80 while driving. The roof units still blow cold air, but apparently the heat gain exceeds the chill. The rear heats up some with the engine heat, of course, but I don't know why the whole system seems less effective when driving. It stays ok in the front & middle of the coach, but not what I would call cool. By the way, my air outlets are NOT blocked by the slides when driving.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Our coach house air also struggles to keep the interior much under 79-80 while driving. The roof units still blow cold air, but apparently the heat gain exceeds the chill. The rear heats up some with the engine heat, of course, but I don't know why the whole system seems less effective when driving. It stays ok in the front & middle of the coach, but not what I would call cool. By the way, my air outlets are NOT blocked by the slides when driving.
Gary RVRoamer

Any coach moving at highway speed in hot sunny weather will not cool as well as a coach sitting still.
Mel
'96 Safari