Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0069.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	113265

Name:	DSCN0058.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	113266

Name:	DSCN0054.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	113267

I built and decorated a box to hide/enclose a 39" TV on a power lift. Worked out nicely. The fireplace could easily be in front of the TV and lift so that the window is still available, and gets the TV securely down for traveling.

Just a different thought.

Tom

TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for the input! Very good information. TLGPE, I really like the power lift idea, do you have any more information on it? The Wife and I are still unsure exactly what we are going to do. The TV is definitely going to be moving. Whether it goes on the fireplace or not or a tv stand is undecided. Thank you all for the help and if I do decide to FP I will certainly take some pictures. I'm going to coordinate the FP install when I do the flooring, I'm replacing the old carpet with Allure tile, and I will be adding an outlet in the floor for the FP. Thanks again!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #17

Sure Matthew, Mor-Ryde makes a lot of the lift systems. You can get them from Amazon, also.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine came with a dimplex fireplace and we love it! Will not own a future motorhome without one. I think it puts out heat just fine. Between the fireplace and the rear heat pump we managed to only go through one tank of propane this year while full timing. It looks great and has adjustments for light, flame speed and a thermostat as well. Can even run it without having the heat on. Oh yea, has a remote control as well. As far as where it blows the heat, it does have the vents on top but they blow at a downward angle. I would build an angle cabinet that would hold the fireplace with the tv on top. Im sure you can find a stock stain that would match almost perfectly. Build it out of birch plywood and use stock trim and molding in creative ways to dress it up. wouldn't be hard at all.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Mine came with a dimplex fireplace and we love it! Will not own a future motorhome without one. I think it puts out heat just fine.
X2 mojoracing. Not sure what the OP price point is but you could look here and find a wide variety of fireplaces that are the exact capability as Mine and Mojoracing have. They have cabinets as well:
Dimplex Electric Fireplaces on Hayneedle - Electric Fireplaces by Dimplex

Good luck and yes post PICS once you get it completed
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had a fireplace in a 5er that we kept for 10 years before getting the MH. We loved the fireplace and would like to have one in the MH, but there's just no place for it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We saw the fireplaces in some new 5ers and HAD to have one.
It is a personal preference, but the space used by a fireplace is NO WAY going to be useful space for cabinets or storage...it's only a space a few inches deep.

Ours has no wood to match color, has a 2 speed fan and 2 heat levels (750W and 1500W), plus 7 levels of light in the faux "firebox"

Name:   1021121434.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  17.6 KB

The TV is on a swivel arm (restrained for travel here) so the heat from the fireplace can pass behind the TV without heating the TV.

Name:   1021121435.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  17.7 KB

Fits perfectly behind the slide when closed.

Name:   1021121444.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  20.6 KB

See more here:
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

These are really just pretty electric heaters...but looks 100% better to us than a space heater. It is also a nightlight or ambiance lighting as desired...and again looks MUCH better than just some lighting.
Also, not having heat-pumps on the AirCon, this adds FREE heating at a campground with electric hook-ups
SO nice to take the chill off in the morning when first getting up or at night before bedtime.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Mine came with a dimplex fireplace and we love it! Will not own a future motorhome without one. I think it puts out heat just fine. Between the fireplace and the rear heat pump we managed to only go through one tank of propane this year while full timing. It looks great and has adjustments for light, flame speed and a thermostat as well. Can even run it without having the heat on. Oh yea, has a remote control as well. As far as where it blows the heat, it does have the vents on top but they blow at a downward angle. I would build an angle cabinet that would hold the fireplace with the tv on top. Im sure you can find a stock stain that would match almost perfectly. Build it out of birch plywood and use stock trim and molding in creative ways to dress it up. wouldn't be hard at all.
Did you check the Dimplex website recall listing? The remote control models are the ones that would catch fire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you check the Dimplex website recall listing? The remote control models are the ones that would catch fire.
Where did you get this info? there is no recall for any Dimplex in the FMCA recall forum or on the Dimplex web site?
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
Where did you get this info? there is no recall for any Dimplex in the FMCA recall forum or on the Dimplex web site?
Dimplex Fireplace, Stove Remotes Recalled
Most likely that recall has been completed and retired, but double-checking may be prudent.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #25

Put one in our 5ver and it does put out as much heat as our little space heater.......the place I installed was wasted space anyways....not deep enough for drawers or anything.........go for it!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #26
KC

Our new MH has a fireplace below the TV, our RV furnace does a great job heating the back of the RV but the front not so well. The fireplace adds heat up front. As our living room can be closed off from the rest of the RV its a nice touch!! Helps keep that room very warm to hot!!

KC
Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a fireplace below the tv in our Damon Challenger. It is in the opposing slide opposite the sofa (reclining loveseats now) and we really enjoy the ambiance, but furthermore, it takes the chill off in the AM and really does a great job of heating the front of the coach. We wouldn't purchase another motor home without a fireplace.

Bronk
Old 12-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #28

We used one of those cheap cube heaters for a couple of years. Then we bought a DuraFlame electric heater. Same 1500 watts but a world of difference is heat distribution. These fireplace cycle the air through the unit similar to the DuraFlame imparting more of the heat into the air.

We ordered a Bounder with the fireplace. The cabinet space used was really not useful in the first place.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, replace