Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #1

The Trojan distributor delivered 3 new J185H 12 volt 215 AH batteries right to the battery compartment of my motorhome. Over the holidays I made connectors from 2/0 welding wire using a bang type crimper and then sealed the ends with heat shrink. The compartment was 16 inches deep by 21.25 inches wide and 26" high.

The three batteries are 15 inches deep leaving me an inch, just a tad under 21 inches wide placed 3 side by side leaving just a tad and they are 15 inches high leaving a bunch. They weigh 119 #'s each so I strengthened the metal floor with a 1 inch thick piece of exterior plywood which sets on top of the existing angle iron.

I hooked them up in parallel giving me 645 AH for boondocking. I hadn't been able to use the new Xantrex 80nAmp 3 stage XADC-80 converter/charger so I plugged the MH in to shore power and checked the voltage 14.2 V. PERFECT.

I have the new Xantrex Pro XM1800 inverter wired on the 12 volt side and grounded, but not hooked up to the battery yet. DC Fuse is installed and the 2/0 wire to connect to the battery is all set.

I ran the 120 v and remote wire from the inverter through the basement in conduit and up into the electrical compartment below the fridge. All I have to do now is hook up the wire to the inverter at the panel and then install and move the desired circuits over to the new sub panel and install and wire the remote. That's all inside stuff. Then turn the sucker on and test it's internal switch etc.

I can smell the coffee and the toast already.

BTW I pulled the MH out of the snow and drove it to the house to work on it today. The snow behind the MH was about 18 inches deep and with the new M&S tires I never spun a tire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

The Trojan distributor delivered 3 new J185H 12 volt 215 AH batteries right to the battery compartment of my motorhome. Over the holidays I made connectors from 2/0 welding wire using a bang type crimper and then sealed the ends with heat shrink. The compartment was 16 inches deep by 21.25 inches wide and 26" high.

The three batteries are 15 inches deep leaving me an inch, just a tad under 21 inches wide placed 3 side by side leaving just a tad and they are 15 inches high leaving a bunch. They weigh 119 #'s each so I strengthened the metal floor with a 1 inch thick piece of exterior plywood which sets on top of the existing angle iron.

I hooked them up in parallel giving me 645 AH for boondocking. I hadn't been able to use the new Xantrex 80nAmp 3 stage XADC-80 converter/charger so I plugged the MH in to shore power and checked the voltage 14.2 V. PERFECT.

I have the new Xantrex Pro XM1800 inverter wired on the 12 volt side and grounded, but not hooked up to the battery yet. DC Fuse is installed and the 2/0 wire to connect to the battery is all set.

I ran the 120 v and remote wire from the inverter through the basement in conduit and up into the electrical compartment below the fridge. All I have to do now is hook up the wire to the inverter at the panel and then install and move the desired circuits over to the new sub panel and install and wire the remote. That's all inside stuff. Then turn the sucker on and test it's internal switch etc.

I can smell the coffee and the toast already.

BTW I pulled the MH out of the snow and drove it to the house to work on it today. The snow behind the MH was about 18 inches deep and with the new M&S tires I never spun a tire.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

I was wondering when I saw Subject - why on earth would one use three chassis batteries - your write indicates their house/coach batteries.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest Grump

Off your topic, but I saw you are in Big Bear. How big is your rig and what route do you take on and off the mountain? I have a sister there and my niece and nephew own a lodge. We would like to take the MH there but are unsure of the route to take.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecker:
I was wondering when I saw Subject - why on earth would one use three chassis batteries - your write indicates their house/coach batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coach - Coach....

Gracias
Old 01-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
Forest Grump

Off your topic, but I saw you are in Big Bear. How big is your rig and what route do you take on and off the mountain? I have a sister there and my niece and nephew own a lodge. We would like to take the MH there but are unsure of the route to take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a 31' Alumalite Holiday Rambler. There are basically three ways up the mountain. The easiest but longest is Highway 38 off the 10 just east of the 30 take the Orange St. exit. It is about 60 miles, beautiful road, some good curves but nothing to shout about. You will cross over Onyx summit at 8'400 feet. The higher elevations can be very icy and treacherous especially around the summit. All roads have areas where it melts during the day onto the highway and then freezes into black ice in the late afternoon and night.

The next route is 330 from the 30 in San Bernardino. Do not take the 18 which is further west take the 330 to the 18 in Arrowbear then the 18 into Big Bear. About 26 miles but steep and many hairpins. Not advised in the winter especially on the 18 in the area called the Arctic Circle just west of Big Bear. This area is usually closed during inclement weather. Signs on the 30 will inform you if it is closed.

The shortest route is from the 18 in Lucerne, the BACKWAY. It is also the driest side being the high Mojave desert. It is the steepest with 18% grades and many hairpins but there is only about 9 miles of this and another 9 miles of relatively good grade out of Lucerne. I would not advise taking any of these roads under snow conditions but any other time, with the exception of rockslides, earthquakes, accidents and fire they are fine.

Now on the other hand if you have a rock crawler or highly modified jeep that is another story and oh what the fun even in the snow.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
Forest Grump

Off your topic, but I saw you are in Big Bear. How big is your rig and what route do you take on and off the mountain? I have a sister there and my niece and nephew own a lodge. We would like to take the MH there but are unsure of the route to take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to say I take all 3 routes depending upon where we are and what the conditions are. Usually we go through Lucerne but to get to SD or LA we go 330.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a dolly to tow my Corvette up the Lucerne way a few years back. I decided I did not want to drive that way again except by car only. We only visit in the warmer season so I guess we will take Hwy 38 when we make the trip with the MH.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #9

I used a dolly to tow my Corvette up the Lucerne way a few years back. I decided I did not want to drive that way again except by car only. We only visit in the warmer season so I guess we will take Hwy 38 when we make the trip with the MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We go down the backway all the time. Just takes a while to get used to. RV's use it all the time but there are signs suggesting a maximum length for king pin trailers of 40'. What is nice in inclement weather by the time you reach Barton Flats, about 2 miles it has usually cleared up.

I've seen a lot of big rigs on it including Jet A fuel Tankers with dual pups during the recent fires. They just take their time. Going up they have too but going down is another story.

I always turn of overdrive going both ways and switch to second gear when going down no matter what I am driving. Great motorcycle road though.

38 is the route most big rigs take including UPS but it can also be the most hazardous around the 8,000' foot level under icing conditions. The easy gentle curve fool a lot of people and they end up going off the road. Sometimes 30+ at a time. Monkey see monkey do.