Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Karen--I am looking to replace our Doran TPMS and I'm interested in the TM system. Can you tell me if your Jeep is a Wrangler? I see two types of sensors; one for aluminum and one for brass. I'm not sure which type is needed for the Jeep and the telephone support at TM was clueless.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

I'm not an expert but I think you want the same metal on the sensor as in your valve stem to avoid different metals causing corrosion. We have brass valve stems so ordered brass sensors. Check the threads on the valve stems on your jeep to tell which you have.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I'm not an expert but I think you want the same metal on the sensor as in your valve stem to avoid different metals causing corrosion. We have brass valve stems so ordered brass sensors. Check the threads on the valve stems on your jeep to tell which you have.
Thanks; I found my answer in the manual for the TMs...

Remember, you may only find aluminum valve stems on a car or light truck which has a factory installed TPMS.
We gather from several phone calls that the above explanation is difficult to comprehend. For this we apologize
and will try to put it in simpler words:
 If your towed vehicle (that’s the thing you are hauling behind your motorhome) has metal valve stems,
you need TM-2ALUM transmitters.
 If it has black rubber valve stems, you need TM-2BRASS transmitters.
 Your motorhome, 5th wheel, trailer or tow dolly will use what comes in all TireMinder® kits (Brass). Yes,
even if you have those big 22.5” shiny aluminum wheels, you will need Brass transmitters.
If that’s still not clear, well, you are just going to have to call us (we really don’t mind).
If you have purchased or received the wrong type, simply contact Minder Research and we will arrange to
exchange them at no charge.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #18

Karen S 144
you said you have the 1A1 system. I tried google it and doesn't get me anywhere. What brand did you buy. Looking for system and what to get a popular one not just a regular system.
Thanks
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
http://www.minderresearch.com/

I just purchased the same setup, planning to install Monday.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #20

Thanks Spk64. Now I know the company that makes the 1A1 :-)
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #21

How exactly do you connect the booster to the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're trying to check off some of the items on our fix it list for the coach and got the Tire Minder TPMS installed today. I put the transmitters on and set the baseline pressures while Gary hunted for a spot to connect the booster. He finally decided that the battery bay in the back was the best location and got the wires ready to hook up. All of a sudden he yells at me to look what he found and fished out another TireMinder booster from where he was going to put ours!

Apparently, someone along the way had a TireMinder system on the coach. Too bad they didn't leave the transmitters and monitor! We're the 4th owners in our 2011's young life (through no fault of it's own) but I sort of think the original owners (Deek) was the one that had the TPMS.

It was a pretty easy installation and I even got the Jeep's tires in the system and didn't have to call customer service for help!
Karen & Gary,

I am a complete idiot when it comes to these things, but gosh darn it, if I can do it myself, save a few bucks and learn a new skill, I'm gonna do it. I just bought the 1A1 Tireminder for my Newmar Baystar and think I will hardwire the booster to one of the house batteries. Can you explain EXACTLY how to do this?? Do I need to shut anything down in advance or just attach those wires to the battery terminals with not another thought? Thanks.
Dawn
idocdlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocdlw View Post
Karen & Gary,

I am a complete idiot when it comes to these things, but gosh darn it, if I can do it myself, save a few bucks and learn a new skill, I'm gonna do it. I just bought the 1A1 Tireminder for my Newmar Baystar and think I will hardwire the booster to one of the house batteries. Can you explain EXACTLY how to do this?? Do I need to shut anything down in advance or just attach those wires to the battery terminals with not another thought? Thanks.
Dawn
Gary connected ours to the chassis battery. Our chassis battery is near the back of the coach (I guess because the engine is in the back) and it's recommended that the booster be toward the back. I'm not sure how well it would work if it's located near the front of the coach. As long as you don't touch both terminals at once, you can attach the wires to the terminals.

Some connect the booster to a light in closet toward the rear of the coach. I'm getting out of my comfort zone here but I think you'd have to make sure the connection is before the on/off switch for the light. Hopefully, someone that knows what they're talking about will chime in.

Good luck with the install!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #23

I bought the EezTire setup the summer of 2014, but the standard valve stems prevented me from screwing the sensors down enough to prevent leaks. This summer, I switched to high pressure valve stems as they have a longer metal stem, but in the haste to get ready for a 2 month trip, never got around to installing the system. Several thousand miles into the trip, I did a walk around at a rest stop in Idaho (Bliss) and found smoke rolling out of the left rear wheel of my fifth wheel. The bearing had failed, broken the hub and trashed the axle spline. While waiting in Mountain Home, ID two weeks for a new axle, I found time to install the TPMS. It would have saved me the cost and aggravation of a new axle.
Some things learned from using the TPMS: The south side tires always get hotter than the north side tires. At 65 mph, the north side tires seem to remain near the ambient temperature, but the tire pressure can increase 5-10 lbs or so. Tire temps often go up at a rest stop and back down once back on the road. The sensors are pressure activated, so remove during the off season to save batteries. Mine recommended anti-seize on the threads to prevent corrosion from different metals.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led