Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
Installed the TPMS!

We're trying to check off some of the items on our fix it list for the coach and got the Tire Minder TPMS installed today. I put the transmitters on and set the baseline pressures while Gary hunted for a spot to connect the booster. He finally decided that the battery bay in the back was the best location and got the wires ready to hook up. All of a sudden he yells at me to look what he found and fished out another TireMinder booster from where he was going to put ours!

Apparently, someone along the way had a TireMinder system on the coach. Too bad they didn't leave the transmitters and monitor! We're the 4th owners in our 2011's young life (through no fault of it's own) but I sort of think the original owners (Deek) was the one that had the TPMS.

It was a pretty easy installation and I even got the Jeep's tires in the system and didn't have to call customer service for help!
__________________

__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
...
Apparently, someone along the way had a TireMinder system on the coach. Too bad they didn't leave the transmitters and monitor! We're the 4th owners in our 2011's young life (through no fault of it's own) but I sort of think the original owners (Deek) was the one that had the TPMS.

It was a pretty easy installation and I even got the Jeep's tires in the system and didn't have to call customer service for help!
That Deek! What a swell guy to leave you such a nice present!

Which model did you get?
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
We got the 1A1 system. I liked it because the display points the way we're driving. It looked like all the other monitors had you making a sharp left in the pictures. That would have driven me nuts.
__________________
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We got the 1A1 system. I liked it because the display points the way we're driving. It looked like all the other monitors had you making a sharp left in the pictures. That would have driven me nuts.
I'm looking to replace my TST with the TM and that is one of the reasons. Do you have the flow through sensors?

If not, can you remove your sensors without any special tools?
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
We didn't get the flow through transmitters. These just screw on & off like a regular valve cap but bigger.
__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We didn't get the flow through transmitters. These just screw on & off like a regular valve cap but bigger.

Good...I have flow throughs but remove them anyway when checking and airing up tires. The sensor have cracked fairly easy over the last couple years. The TM sensors look a lot like TST's non-flow through but TST's take a special tool.

I've never wasted any time using those little allen screws to "secure" the sensors. If someone wants to steel them it probably wouldn't stop them if they were serious and would probably wreck the threads forcing me to get new stems anyway.

The battery replacement on yours looks very straight forward and the cap seems more weather proof too.

Thanks!
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
We're planning to only use them on the Jeep when we're towing it. I marked them so know which transmitter goes where. I saw those allen screws and the locking washers but don't think we need them yet. We may put them on for our trip to WA & OR but like you said, if someone wanted them bad enough, the allen screws are likely to stop them.
__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're planning to only use them on the Jeep when we're towing it. I marked them so know which transmitter goes where. I saw those allen screws and the locking washers but don't think we need them yet. We may put them on for our trip to WA & OR but like you said, if someone wanted them bad enough, the allen screws are likely to stop them.
Since I often remove my sensors off of the car I have a case that is much like this



I put labels in the bottom of the case in slots to identify which tire the sensor goes with. It gives me room for small parts like o rings, extra batteries, spare sensor and such. I use a larger case for the RV's 8 sensors.

The smaller case fits nicely in our tow bar bag. The bag is big enough to store the safety cables, pins, pin locks, keys to pin locks, Air Force One air pressure connection and other odds N ends we need to hook up or un hook. Yep...it gets a tad heavy but it keeps all our stuff together.

Why do I often remove the toad's sensors? Because we have forgotten them a couple times, took the car to a car wash with wheel scrubbers and busted a couple sensors off.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
We made our first trip with the TPMS. We did get a couple of lost signal alerts from a couple of different sensors but within a few minutes they were back online. We got a high pressure alert from the inside right back tire when it reached 114lb but the baseline is 95 so we weren't really concerned but wondered why it got higher than the others. The temp if I recall correctly was 98.

The left front tire on the Jeep got really hot! It's closest to the exhaust and seemed to max out at 113. It's pressure went up 2 lbs.

The air temp during our 4 hour drive was 90-92.

The main problem is where to stick the monitor! It was in the little console under the radio & nav system when we had the lost sensor alerts so that may have been a contributing factor. I wound up putting it in my little tray thingy beside the passenger seat. Gary is usually driving and monitoring the TPMS monitor will fall under my co-pilot duties so I need to be able to see & reach it. This may require some experimentation!

Sky Boss, thanks for the idea for storing the sensors. Right now, we have them in a snack baggy but your method looks better.
__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We made our first trip with the TPMS. We did get a couple of lost signal alerts from a couple of different sensors but within a few minutes they were back online. We got a high pressure alert from the inside right back tire when it reached 114lb but the baseline is 95 so we weren't really concerned but wondered why it got higher than the others. The temp if I recall correctly was 98.

The left front tire on the Jeep got really hot! It's closest to the exhaust and seemed to max out at 113. It's pressure went up 2 lbs.

The air temp during our 4 hour drive was 90-92.

The main problem is where to stick the monitor! It was in the little console under the radio & nav system when we had the lost sensor alerts so that may have been a contributing factor. I wound up putting it in my little tray thingy beside the passenger seat. Gary is usually driving and monitoring the TPMS monitor will fall under my co-pilot duties so I need to be able to see & reach it. This may require some experimentation!

Sky Boss, thanks for the idea for storing the sensors. Right now, we have them in a snack baggy but your method looks better.
From experience...YEP...the toad tire closest to the exhaust will get hotter. I would still think all toad tires should see more than a 2 PSI increase with the "hot" tire being 1 or 2 PSI higher than the others. A 20 PSI gain for the coach tires is well within our experience. I've seen as much as a 25 PSI gain on the front wheels that carry the most weight per tire.

I am highly surprised that you are loosing any signals with the repeater. FWIW, we opted to install our TST repeater high on the wall in the closet at the rear of the coach. It was simple to tap off of the closet's light fixture for power. THEORETICALLY...that gets the repeater up and out of all the metal surrounding in the battery compartment and away from electrical interference it might experience close by. Being an electronics tech in the USAF I think my theory is pretty fair for consideration. BTW...the TST has a red light that lets you know it is powered up and blinks on occasion. Locating it in the closet makes for an easy check to see if it is functioning. If your TM has a similar design you might consider that also as a potential reason to relocate it.

Here is my rant about tire temp. Obviously the most accurate way to measure tire temp is internally. TST makes an sensor for mounting inside the rim. I would love to see a side by side comparison of that system with the external sensor. ANYWAY...I digress. LOL Sensors at the end of a valve stem can't really give a true picture of internal temps and if the sensor is on a long stem like that of the inside dually wheel, it is that much further removed from "reality". I've even seen tire temps change a little bit based on the coach changing direction and shading or exposing the sensor to more sunlight. I also suggest that the DP's exhaust is directly responsible for warming the sensor more than the tire itself. In the end, tire pressure is still the best indicator of most issues. You will get a feel for normal tire pressure increases due to driving and outside air temps.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're trying to check off some of the items on our fix it list for the coach and got the Tire Minder TPMS installed today. I put the transmitters on and set the baseline pressures while Gary hunted for a spot to connect the booster. He finally decided that the battery bay in the back was the best location and got the wires ready to hook up. All of a sudden he yells at me to look what he found and fished out another TireMinder booster from where he was going to put ours!

Apparently, someone along the way had a TireMinder system on the coach. Too bad they didn't leave the transmitters and monitor! We're the 4th owners in our 2011's young life (through no fault of it's own) but I sort of think the original owners (Deek) was the one that had the TPMS.

It was a pretty easy installation and I even got the Jeep's tires in the system and didn't have to call customer service for help!
Good for you! The TPMS is a great addition and provides a lot of "peace of mind"
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
mhouk49's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
TPMS question for Sky Boss

Sky Boss,
You replied to a post about flow through sensors with the following: "Good...I have flow throughs but remove them anyway when checking and airing up tires."

I am shopping for a TPMS and from what I have learned to date, some users wished they had the flow through sensors. Sounds like you don't feel that they are necessary. Is that correct? If so, would you please share your thoughts based on experience? Thanks
__________________
mhouk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouk49 View Post
Sky Boss,
You replied to a post about flow through sensors with the following: "Good...I have flow throughs but remove them anyway when checking and airing up tires."

I am shopping for a TPMS and from what I have learned to date, some users wished they had the flow through sensors. Sounds like you don't feel that they are necessary. Is that correct? If so, would you please share your thoughts based on experience? Thanks
I don't want to twist this thread too far...I'll send you a PM.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
mhouk49's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Sky Boss,
You replied to a post about flow through sensors with the following: "Good...I have flow throughs but remove them anyway when checking and airing up tires."

I am shopping for a TPMS and from what I have learned to date, some users wished they had the flow through sensors. Sounds like you don't feel that they are necessary. Is that correct? If so, would you please share your thoughts based on experience? Thanks
__________________

__________________
mhouk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install, led



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need RV RO Water System Installed! G Man Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 04-18-2015 08:38 AM
TPMS Sensors Won't Register Air Pressure on Inner Duals BPoland Class A Motorhome Discussions 11 03-18-2015 08:03 PM
TPMS Sensors Won't Register on Inner Duals BPoland Newmar Owner's Forum 3 03-15-2015 03:19 AM
Need Base Plates Installed Mesa, AZ tjd Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 08-31-2014 07:50 PM
Scann Guage D installed adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 08-26-2014 06:35 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.