Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

I am ready to install my back up camera and had a couple of questions regarding mounting the camera itself on the back of the RV. I am a little nervous about drilling a hole in the back of my MH. I guess what I am asking is do I just drill a hole all the way through the fiberglass into the MH, and then feed the cable through the hole? It looks like once I feed the cable through I will need to route it down to the floor then drill another hole in the floor and feed the cable through that also, then run it under the MH to the front and drill another hole in the fire wall? If it matters I have an 03 Winnebago Minne 31C

Any last words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Big Muskie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #2

I am ready to install my back up camera and had a couple of questions regarding mounting the camera itself on the back of the RV. I am a little nervous about drilling a hole in the back of my MH. I guess what I am asking is do I just drill a hole all the way through the fiberglass into the MH, and then feed the cable through the hole? It looks like once I feed the cable through I will need to route it down to the floor then drill another hole in the floor and feed the cable through that also, then run it under the MH to the front and drill another hole in the fire wall? If it matters I have an 03 Winnebago Minne 31C

Any last words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Big Muskie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
John, if the back cap is open (most were not for a long time) you can run it down between the outside fiberglass and the rear wall. Or if you have a corner molding that has a hollow core that too could be used. One other option is to carry the wiring over the roof and come down behind the drivers seat area. Just be sure to clean and seal the fasenters and entrance holes when you are through. Not being there makes it difficult to see the easiest route. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just finished my rear camera installation.

Don't drill until you are sure what is behind the gelcoat and fiberglass. Don't ask why I am stating this.

I found that in my rig the top roof cap has a void behind it where the roof lights are installed. I removed the center light and found a nice large hole already there where the light wiring came through the roof and was later stuffed with caulk. I just cut a hole in the caulk, ran the camera wire into it, cut a small hole in the wall fabric (inside a rear cabinet) and then re-caulked the hole. The camera cable fit under the light housing but I did have to carve our a notch in the housing for it to fit flush on the roof. Once done, the light housing was re-caulked.

On the inside of the coach, the cable was run from the rear cabinet behind the wall fabric over to the rear passenger side (PS) corner of the coach where I ran it down to the floor and then along the wall inside and exiting hollowed out molding strip..over to the shower..under it to the furnace..through a hole in the floor and up the PS rail to the PS door where an existing wiring compartment existed. I just drilled a new hole and ran the cable inside ther compartment..into the kickpanel..up the door pilar and into the headliner.

Be sure to put the cable in loom and secure it at least every 10 inches or so to protect it.

Works great!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #5

I'm considering one of those wireless kind that Wally World has. The camera has a tag mount. May or may not work but what the heck....I can always take it back.
lightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #6

I tried one of the tag mount cameras and did not have much luck with it due to it's limited range. FYI you can try the camera by connecting it to a 9 volt battery rather than hard wireing it to your rig.

Jack
Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a tag-mount wireless camera at the front of my motorhome and I'm very happy with it. Using the camera I now have a view as close as 30" from the front of the rig whereas in the past the best I could easily see was 15' out front when seated in the driver's seat. The wireless camera also easily see's the complete width of the moho.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #8

John,
If you have not already started the wiring, I suggest that you remove one or both of your tail lights and see if there is a cavity where your rear cap is. This will let you know if anything is behind the rear cap that you can drill into. If possible, look thru the light holes and check the floor inside the cap and see if you can drill a hole thru the floor. Then run your wire underneath your coach ( with the protective plastic ) then come up behind your dash and run the wire up here. Good luck s/Toby
Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lightkeeper:
I'm considering one of those wireless kind that Wally World has. The camera has a tag mount. May or may not work but what the heck....I can always take it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought one from the Perry GA Wal-Mart for $50 (was $98 and there must have been at least 10 on the shelf). Haven't hooked it up yet and no where does it say what the range is. But it does say for RV's on the packaging. Our Class C is on the short side (22 ft fron to back) so I'm hoping it will work.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote