Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
SSC

Installing instant hot water system

Hi. Hope I can find some information here. We recently purchased a pre-owned 2014 Phaeton QBH, replacing our '12 Itasca Meridian. The previous owners had their instant hot water system removed and replaced with a traditional tank system. (Not sure if it was an Aqua-hot or some other, or why they took it out.) I sure wish that system were still in place. Any idea how much it'd cost to switch back or install Aqua-hot??
SSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AquaHot would be extremely expensive to retrofit. Figure $15,000 total to purchase and labor to install. It might even run more than that as I've seen $7,000 for it as a factory option.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Installing instant hot water system

Probably had a tankless water heater, not aqua hot. I like the tankless in our Phaeton.

Check the build sheet to see what came from the factory.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
SSC

Thanks...you're probably right. I sure can't figure out why the original owners took out that tankless system. I'm wondering how much it'd be to put it back in...
Old 01-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
You could call Custom RV in Red Bay AL as I know Brannon has installed them. Phaetons's had the tankless not Aquahot that model year. Several people had issues with the tankless to the point they replaced with the old style water heaters. Part of the reason seemed to be those who travelled in hard water areas and didn't use a water softener. Minerals would clog it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Friends of ours bought a new 14 Phaeton from North Trail with the tankless system. They had nothing but trouble with it. They ran into Bob Tiffin at the Tampa RV show. He made arrangements to have them go to Red Bay to have it replaced with a conventional 10 gal lpg - electric unit. Tiffin paid for the conversion. Apparently, Tiffin had many issues with the tankless unit.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
SSC

Wow. Doesn't sound like putting in a tankless system would be any good unless it was an Aquahot, and that sounds cost-prohibitive. We have friends with '13 Phaetons and they LOVE their tankless systems. Loving those long showers and never-ending hot water for dishes. Bummer the one in our coach was such a problem.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

Man, glad I stuck my head in here, I'd been contemplating a tankless system for a while now. I guess I'll stick with the regular water heater.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tankless (on demand - not Aquahot) for RV's is a rather new thing. They are wonderful while working.

The problem is what to do if/when there is an issue. Being rather new, there is a lack of options with few experienced service places.

But an Atwood or similar traditional tank water heater is SO familiar that repair options and parts availability are almost everywhere.

We have tankless in the studs and stucco house...it provides 70% savings on the gas bill! But for the RV, we're keeping the tank style...at least while the tankless systems mature.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC View Post
Loving those long showers and never-ending hot water for dishes.
AquaHot will give you that too.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Tankless (on demand - not Aquahot) for RV's is a rather new thing. They are wonderful while working.
My parents had a tankless water heater installed as a special order in their 1958 KenCraft TT when it was built. So they are nothing new in RV's, just that they are now being built for RV's now. There's was a European household unit and was installed in a cabinet in the kitchen area so they lost storage space.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #12

More than likely it was a Precision Temp RV 500 or RV 550. We have the RV 500 in our 2011 Phaeton. I would say it's a love/hate thing with it. The pros - lots of hot water and long showers, low propane use. Cons - finicky in the rain and strong winds, no electric element, no real warm water. For the cons, if the components get wet during a rain, the water heater will not stay lit, so no hot water. To get around this we have found that if you run it through a few cycles of turning the water on, let it run a few, then off, and repeat, this will usually get it putting out hot water. The other option would be to open the cover and dry things out. There is no electric element to it, so if you run out of propane, you are out of hot water. For ours, we have hot water and we have cold water, not real in between. I need to run the auto-cal procedure on it to see if that fixes it. You are not supposed to have it on running down the road, so no hot water while you are moving. You also need to drain it if traveling in freezing weather. If you are parked in freezing weather, it will cycle to keep things from freezing up.

With the various cons, we wouldn't trade it for a conventional tank water heater. We've learned to live with the quirks. The company is very good at providing support if you have any questions or need to order replacement thermistors. I would recommend carrying spare thermistors, because if they go out, no hot water until they are replace.

-Mike
thetoejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
SSC

Wow. Although the allure of never-ending hot water is great, it looks like our measly 10-gal hot water tank will have to suffice. Maybe we'll get Aquahot on our NEXT RV. LOL.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:39 PM   #14

If you do a search you will find many threads about problems with tankless systems. In short it takes a lot of engineered in variability to handle the wide range of flows and input temperatures while keeping the output more or less constant. You can translate that to cost and complexity and it still might not work.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water