Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

installing maxx air and fantastic fan

I am installing a maxx air II, also a fantastic fan.
question is, I have 3 roof vents, (forward, middle, and rear)
(class C w/rear bedroom,)
where do I want the fantastic fan, keeping in mind noise, also should I install the maxx air on the fantastic vent? will it allow enough opening to work good? it looks like it will limit the opening of the fan hood.
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
cruzn57

Put the fantastic fan as close to the kitchen as possible. I have maxx air model 950 on mine and can open it more to enough for it to function as it should.

jack

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We have two Fantastic Fans in our rig and both are covered with Max Air units but I don't know if they are specially made to accommodate the fan or are just the standard units. I'm sure a trip to their website would clarify the issue.

As for location, I would probably choose the middle location if you're only installing one fan. We really don't like to run the AC at night due to noise and love opening the bedroom windows by our heads and turning one or both fans on to create a nice breeze across us at night.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would install the fantastic fan in the middle for maximum effectiveness.

I don't think there is enough ventilation on the maxx air for the fantastic fan. I believe what you want is called the fan Mate which is a better vent cover for that application. You may even want to look at the Maxx Air II.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

RJay, I think he stated that he was installing the Max Air II.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
RJay, I think he stated that he was installing the Max Air II.

Rick
So he is, my mistake. Thanks Rick!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

WOW , quick reply's!

went to maxx air website, they say you can install over a powered vent,
I think we will give this careful thought,
I'm in agreement on location, middle of coach looks to be best,
maybe maxx air in rear/ bedroom?
allowing good ventilation while driving!

thanks for the reply's, it very much appreciated!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the thread, cruzn57. We have a Fantastic Fan over our kitchen area that pulls air from the back(36'r) just fine. I'll look into the Max Air II to go over the fan...when it rains the sensor closes the fan cover and when there's cooking going on, the RV fills with the smells of what ever is cooking at the time. Drives me nuts...no more cooking cabbage 'til this little mod is done! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We have one fantastic fan in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen. Both are covered with the MaxxAir vents, although the dealer from whom we purchased the coach told us we couldn't do that. MaxxAir makes one cover specifically for the high-powered fantastic fans. We were stuck in humid weather with pouring rain, and if we didn't have those fans, I think we would have been miserable. We were able to open a few awning covered windows and pulled the sticky humid air out of the coach. Invaluable!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

We spoke with fantastic vents a week ago..he said they don't recommend putting any vent cover over their fantastic fans( no surprise) saying unless you have a complete downpour the fan is strong enough to not let water come in if it's running at high speed...
Also they are coming out in a few months with a vent cover made by fantastic vents specifically for their product.
After saying all that I am putting a maxi air vent cover over my bathroom vent..and leaving the other one without until I see what fantastic comes out with.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed one of the ''fans'' in the vent over our bed room and it works fine. I find that we need the fan most at night so we dont have to run the AC and when we boon dock it will run on our batteries. Another advantage of putting the fan in the bed room vent is the ''white noise'' it creates. The gentle 'humm'' is very relaxing. It does not disturb our sleep at all and the ''white noise'' it produces when running seems to block out outside noises and we both love it. It is well worth the money and I would consider one for the living room vent also.
Another great advantage to the fan is that it is reversible and you can use it to pump fresh air into your bed room at night. We set the thermostat and sleep in comfort all night .....

Thank a vet for your freedoms....... Some gave their life for them....
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We've had Maxair covers over all our Fantastic Vents for about 10 years now. FV says no, but we feel the covers offer a improvement in convenience/function. Our fans all have the rain sensor, but that just shuts the fan off when it is needed. We seldom run the fans on highest speed anyway, and the lower speeds don't even come close to the air capacity of the covers.

Noise-wise I would suggest putting the fan in the middle, and that also draws air from both front and back (if on exhaust, which we prefer). But if you need to draw smoke or fumes from the kitchen area, the front is a bit better. As Seajay says, the noise quickly fades into the background as "white noise", so it's not a big deal for most people.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #13

thanks for all the reply's

I feel in listening to all who have experience, that I can use it either location.
as far as noise, I use a snozzaphone, ( C pap) so always have my "white noise" with me, LOL
but was concerned how loud they might be ( I hadn't run it before I posted)
actually , I feel I will purchase another fantastic fan and install two, that way always enough air movement.

many thanks for all the comments,

cruzn57

Tags
fan