Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
installing slide toppers

hi everyone,,,getting ready to pickup new 5ver ,it has 2 slides and no toppers,i would rather install myself (i know the work will be better )any opinions on brands and installation techniques or links to do research big thanks
joe ,barbara
2017 heartland roadwarrior 427
joembx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #2

I bought mine from tough top awnings. Installed myself. They are near needeing replacement after 5 years of full timing.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Have had Dometics on 2 fifth wheels covering 10 years and 8 solidest and they have been trouble-free.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't do it.
1. Expensive intially
2. Expensive to replace material.
3. They flop around in the wind.
4. Stuff still gets under them
5 . They still can let rain in.
6. Rain accumulates on top and BIG water puddles up in center.
7. When my wear out I'm not going to replace them. One is 27' long.
8. Twice I've closed the slide and got soaking wet inside.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I bought mine from tough top awnings. Installed myself. They are near needeing replacement after 5 years of full timing.
OP seems to need the whole unit, not just the fabric. When mine needed replacing on the '02 DSDP I bought them from Tough Tops. Made right here in Vancouver, WA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

We are happy with ours from Carefree of Colorado. We went with Slideout (SOK lll) Kover lll which also has an aluminum enclosure when closed. Had these on previous coach and were trouble free and in great shape when we sold after 12 seasons of use. Folks have mixed feelings on toppers, but I wouldn't be without them on our coach.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Wouldn't toppers help protect the slide seals too? Without a topper wouldn't UV rays destroy the seals quickly?

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the info so far everyone,,we had toppers on our diplomat and i believe they helped alot with debris,rain and uv ,,,but yes they do flap in the wind, an the water will pool ,( i was able to solve that )the pooling would be a little harder to solve on a 27 ft. top but could be done,and i would want them shielded ,we had sunbrella fabric on our coach ,seem to hold up well ,but would get soggy after a full day of rain ,even with treating,,im going back on forth on sunbrella type or vinyl ,any opinions on that would be great,,,one thing im worried about is when installing is when screwing to rig catching something solid not just fiberglass,,or is the latter ok with a good adhesive an screws,,,,,everythings a challenge lol ,i guess it would"nt be fun any other way! thanks everyone
joembx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #9

I installed on previous unit, but worked them into the deal on our new 5th wheel this past spring.

If you are in the corner and follow manufacturers recommendation, you should easily catch the framing. The rails get mounted right below or in place of the existing rail and I just followed the screw locations that the manufacturer used.

We went with vinyl and like. The vinyl does get stained over time, but with the enclosed case, not easy to detect from the ground.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, slide