Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Smile Insurance

Time for insurance renewal. But, learned of huge increase.Anyone got any suggestions for good R. V. insurance?
toadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Toadfrog

My main carrier is USAA and they have a business arrangement with Progressive. Progressive had the best rates by far for where we live (Delaware).

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Foremost. We pay monthly so no increase until this time next year.
Did you have a claim, Tickets? I hear they go by your credit score also nowadays,
Good Luck, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello toadfrog and welcome to irv2.com We are glad to have you join us and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Unless you are an insurance agent and FULLY understand RV insurance, get yourself an agent that represents several companies and specializes in RV's.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Try Miller RV Insurance or Gilbert RV Insurance agencies. They specialize in RV coverage and will find the best deals available to you. You might also get some quotes directly yourself, e.g. National Interstate (Explorerrv.com), National General via Goodsamrvinsurance.com, and Blue Sky (blueskyrvinsurance.com)

You also need to learn & understand what coverages you really want/need. How much liability and for what, collision and comprehensive amounts, need for personal medical coverage (UN/UIM), deductibles, etc. For example, if you already have your own medical insurance, it makes no sense to pay extra for personal medical in your RV insurance. And if you have homeowners insurance, you probably already have some liability coverage for campsite mishaps and some coverage for personal property losses. Some agents like to load those coverages in a policy without asking you whether you already have enough coverage for those sorts of things.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

I have Progressive, but that doesn't mean I'm married to them. Near every renewal period I shop around, and Progressive has always offered me the best rate. Plus for just $24 more a year I get the towing rider which we have used a couple of times.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #8

I agree with the recommendation to closely evaluate your needs for coverage. Apples to apples. I know that state insurance laws vary from state to state, but I also recommend that you consider insuring your towed with the same company. I damaged both the towed and motor home a few years back and aside from paying two deductibles, it was going to be a real headache. It was minor damage, so I did not file a claim, and I received assurances from both companies that they would not charge me with a claim after discussing it with them. My state laws state I must request that they not charge me with a claim if I discuss an accident with them and do not file a claim.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went to USAA who directed me to Allied. Allied sources several companies. A couple of them are Nationwide and Progressive. I went with Nationwide for $809 a year which the matching coverage with Progressive was $1616. Totally your choice. Then gain, cheap is not always best. Good luck.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Well... 15 minutes could save you.... If you live in the midwest, I highly recommend you try West Bend Insurance

I recently had my insurance reevaluated... I just upgraded from a 04 Heritage Softail to a 10 Ultra Limited and my bike insurance went from $500 a year to $900 a year (Progressive).. Needless to say.. I had sticker shock..

So, while I was with friends who had both bikes and RV's, I asked.. turns out they were paying like $350 per year for their bike insurance.. and one of the wives was a CPA at an insurance company.. she suggested I give her my information.. BOY... was I glad I did..

My RV insurance went from $1600 a year to $800 per year on the RV and from $900 to $280 on the bike.. and on top of that, they let me "suspend" coverage on the RV while it sits during the long winter here in Wisconsin.. My insurance during the "suspended" period goes to $232 per year..

It was a win-win for me.. I just saved a crap load of money.. both on the bike and RV.. it was like Christmas !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know where you live or your circumstances but I will tell you what I do for insurance.

I insure my home and auto with Auto-Owners Insurance Company. I added my motorhome to my personal auto policy. I have $1 million lab limits on my underlying policy and a $1 mill Umbrella liability policy. My motorhome is insured at a stated value amount with high deductibles. My contents are covered under my Homeowners policy as I still own a home also.My personal liability also extends from the Homeowners policy.

I get a multi-policy discount,a multi-car discount and a senior citizen discount, my credit is good as well as my driving record. My annual premium on my 2009 Beaver is approx. $900 but I can suspend some coverages while I am home and save premium if I wish.I will probably be home for 5 mos. a year but we may make side trips so I just keep coverage on it all year.I understand that people who full-time may have other concerns that is why I said I don't know your circumstances.o

If you don't have a trusted independent insurance agent I would look for one to help you.Many people are underinsured and many don't understand the coverage they do have. I speak from 30 yrs experience as an insurance agent. The proper limits of liability are your most important concern. The physical damage coverage you place on your unit is a variable and people have different opinions.

You do not want to crash into someone or something and lose your house because you went with the lowest quote!
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #12

I have four cars/trucks, one boat and the FW insured thru GEICO. I don't think cost is out of line and I've been very pleased with their customer service over a 30 year period.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Well... 15 minutes could save you.... If you live in the midwest, I highly recommend you try West Bend Insurance

I recently had my insurance reevaluated... I just upgraded from a 04 Heritage Softail to a 10 Ultra Limited and my bike insurance went from $500 a year to $900 a year (Progressive).. Needless to say.. I had sticker shock..

So, while I was with friends who had both bikes and RV's, I asked.. turns out they were paying like $350 per year for their bike insurance.. and one of the wives was a CPA at an insurance company.. she suggested I give her my information.. BOY... was I glad I did..

My RV insurance went from $1600 a year to $800 per year on the RV and from $900 to $280 on the bike.. and on top of that, they let me "suspend" coverage on the RV while it sits during the long winter here in Wisconsin.. My insurance during the "suspended" period goes to $232 per year..

It was a win-win for me.. I just saved a crap load of money.. both on the bike and RV.. it was like Christmas !!

Just curious, If your insurance is suspended while siting during our winters what happens if (heaven forbid) it catches fire? Does your homeowners kick in? If so did your S&B's insurance go up?
Happy Holidays, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Just curious, If your insurance is suspended while siting during our winters what happens if (heaven forbid) it catches fire? Does your homeowners kick in? If so did your S&B's insurance go up?
Happy Holidays, Tim
Typically when they talk of "suspending" coverage, it's only the coverage that would be needed if it was being used. Collision, medical, liability. Usually comprehensive coverage will be maintained which would cover theft, fire, flood. This only works if the company separates collision and comprehensive coverage. Some RV policies lump collision and comprehensive under one coverage.

A lot of our policy holders would do the same with their coverage on classic or sports cars they'd store over the winter. Wish I had a dollar for everytime one of them would take the car out on the first nice day in the spring and promptly get into an accident with it (or just go to move it inside the storage facility and hit something). OOPS! - no collision coverage. They'd forget to call and reinstate it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance