Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Wow, I agree that this is not a matter for the ins company to assist, but I am very surprised that so many actually said so.

I've noticed that in the majority of cases, when one of our own (RV person) complains about , no matter it being right or wrong, heavy support is the norm.

I just love those that are honest and prudent.

Ed
Agree. And people should take time to READ and UNDERSTAND what coverage they are buying so there will be no surprises when claims are made.

To the OP--Sorry about the issue with your RV and I hope it can be repaired to your satisfaction.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #16

As I said, there was prior damage, (crack) that was repaired, and paid for by Farm Bureau Ins. They paid the claim even after receiving the estimate from Dutchman that said the cut out the damaged section, re-welded the broken aluminum superstructure, then re-enforced it by welding in a gusset. They stated it would never break there again, and the ins. company still agreed to pay the claim. This second time a new claims adjuster, from an entirely different city and office, investigated and called in the PE (professional engineer), who the adjuster said had the final say about covering the damage.
I'm not upset at bearing the entire repair cost ($1,400-BTW I spent more than that on fuel), repairs once again by Dutchmen factory service center. I rather expected some damage, even though the caravan only traveled about 40 MPH down to 10-20 MPH through the worst places, as the ALKAN highway is continually in terrible shape due to the permafrost freezing and thawing every winter/spring.
I have informed the Dutchmen service center of the PE's report and they requested a copy when we take our RV to be repaired. I'll let Dutchmen and the PE fight their fight, I'll just pay the bill and forget it as we plan to trade our 5er in on a MH this winter anyway. I don't think the broken spring center pin (allowed the rear axle to slide back 6" on the spring) had anything to do with the sidewall crack, but perhaps I should have informed the ins. company.
Others had MH damage (paneling jarred off interior wall), other 5ers with light damage, one member with an Open Roads TT had severe problems, but made it back to the lower 48 with frame damage (only 2 connecting braces between the frame rails from factory), interior falling apart, etc. So I guess I'm lucky our 5er didn't suffer more damage that it did.
Would we drive to AK again, yes! It is an experience you never talk about and never forget.
To those who said "read the insurance policy" I have, several times; nothing suggests the crack is not covered. Only the adjuster saying (prior to even looking at the damage) "wear and tear" is not covered, and then stating "you should have avoided driving over rough roads as RV's are not designed for that purpose."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OP doesn't say what he has, nor does his profile show it.
You need to look at it again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think he meant you don't have a signature. I cant see one.

I don't know what story you gave the insurance company for them to cover it the first time. Was it an accident? Now that it has cracked in the same area a second time I would think it would be between you and the repair shop that did the work. What does it tell you when you see this kind of overwhelming support for the insurance company ? If insurance companies covered damage caused by bumpy roads our rates would be more then what we pay for our RVs.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I did, more than once.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Nope, I went to his public profile, there is nothing showing about his rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be a shame if your crack got worse and caused a roof leak and them you got black mold on everything inside.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Nope, I went to his public profile, there is nothing showing about his rig
I checked the profile you are right nothing there. The OP mentioned it was a 5 er but that was all.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post

I don't know what story you gave the insurance company for them to cover it the first time. Was it an accident? Now that it has cracked in the same area a second time I would think it would be between you and the repair shop that did the work. What does it tell you when you see this kind of overwhelming support for the insurance company ? If insurance companies covered damage caused by bumpy roads our rates would be more then what we pay for our RVs.
I'm sorry, but I would have to agree. I am astonished the insurance company repaired the crack in the first place. Unless it was a direct accident or collision that caused it I can't see how the insurance would cover it?

I also agree that if the repair company guaranteed it would never crack again, then I'd go back to them. If they botched the job it would be between you and the original repair company.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I did, more than once.
View your "About Me" as seen by everyone else

About Ray,IN

StickersEdit Value
Send me some more iRV2 stickers!
CityEdit Value
solsberry
State or ProvinceEdit Value
IN
CountryEdit Value
USA
RV ManufacturerEdit Value
Grand Junction fifth wheel
RV ModelEdit Value
35TMS
RV YearEdit Value
RV LengthEdit Value
40 feet
Location (City, State):Edit Value
North America somewhere

to the rest,
I phoned GMAC (Good Sam) insurance and the man I spoke with about switching ins. companies said GMAC would cover such a claim as I described, but of course I don't have that in writing. He said they specialize in RV insurance so they cover things other companies don't. The downside, you can't read the complete contract until you buy it, kinda reminds me of what someone said 3 years ago.
Anyway, we have dismissed the affair. Dutchmen will honor their statement about it will never happen again. All we must do is give them a copy of the PE assessment, which we will.
Thanks everyone for your opinion and taking time to reply
Happy Trails!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You need to speak to a claim person. Insurance agents carry coverage we referred to as E&O - errors and omissions - that would pay for claims they promised would be covered, but are not covered under the policy. Want to guess how often, perhaps years later, an agent would remember or admit to having made the mistake? Agents have a lot to keep track of, insurance relative statutes and contract law aren't always on that list.

An accident policy is not going to cover mechanical or structural failures, unless that failure is subsiquent to and as a direct result of a covered loss. An extended warranty policy might.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #26

Thank you Jay. Your opinion and advice is appreciated. We are scheduled into the Dutchmen factory service center in January for the needed repairs. By then we should have a new (to us) MH to replace our 5er. Downside, this means we must stay home for the winter. This is the first year winterizing the RV in 5 years.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
You need to speak to a claim person. Insurance agents carry coverage we referred to as E&O - errors and omissions - that would pay for claims they promised would be covered, but are not covered under the policy. Want to guess how often, perhaps years later, an agent would remember or admit to having made the mistake? Agents have a lot to keep track of, insurance relative statutes and contract law aren't always on that list.

An accident policy is not going to cover mechanical or structural failures, unless that failure is subsiquent to and as a direct result of a covered loss. An extended warranty policy might.
P.S. Would you check my public profile? I cut N pasted it above your reply, but I wonder if it is only available to me, or truly public since Mr.D and others say they can't find it. I just went to my CP opened the "about me" tab and did a cut N paste. I've been a member since 2001 and its possible one of the firmware changes have changed something I missed.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Ray, I can't see anything in your profile either.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance