Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
insurance claim denial

While returning from Alaska our 5er developed a sidewall crack above the driver-side slideout opening. This had happened once before in 2010, while returning from Calgary stampede. Now Farm Bureau Insurance says this damage is due to a manfacture's design flaw and refused to honor the claim.
They even hired a professional engineer to come inspect our 5er before making the decision, which according to the ins. company had the final word.
If insurance companies get away with this, what's next? Get a windshield crack, nope-claim denied because the MH jacks were improperly designed and put abnormal stress on the frame. Or the rear hitch fails and you lose your towed vehicle, nope-claim denied because the welds were not properly tested.
Well, you get the point. Tomorrow I call the state Insurance Department (and BBB) to file a complaint, probably useless, but it may make me feel a bit better knowing I didn't take it lying down.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
I am not sure why you think your insurance should cover this. If you are talking about vehicle insurance as opposed to a warranty, what is the basis for your damage? It sureky isn't covered due to collision, and obviously is not theft or something that would gualify under comprehensive coverage.

03 Tradewinds LTC
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
how you present the damage determines whether insurance covers it.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't think a crack would be covered unless caused by an accident.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Get a copy of the engineers report and the insurance report that claims it is Mfg. defeect. Go to the Mfg. and tell them it is their fault and show them the proof. If they don't offer to fix it you can always take them to small claims court. I believe small claims is now up to $5000. Good luck.
Tony G.
98 Monaco Dynasty
gonzo136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
An inherent design flaw I would feel is the responsibility of the manufacturer and RV warranties suck swamp water.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
For vehicle insurance coverage issues, you really need to read the contract. Our RV policy excludes damage caused by wear and tear, freezing, latent defect, weight of snow and ice, rust or corrosion, gradual deterioration, improper maintenance, gradual leakage of water, or road damage to tires. I am assuming most policies use similar language. I've heard of some pretty crumby behavior from casualty insurance companies, but this sounds like something that is specifically excluded. Good luck with your efforts.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP doesn't say what he has, nor does his profile show it.
If it's out of warranty then you don't stand much chance of getting anything from the manufacturer. If it was repaired before then it's a known structural defect and vehicle ins won't cover that. In fact, unless there was a collision it wouldn't be covered in the first place.
If you have a service policy then, because it was repaired before they could say it was a pre-existing condition.
Doubeful your bleatings to the state ins bureau or BBB will do any good either, especially if it's about the insurance not covering it. Insurance doesn't cover structural damage unless caused by collision.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I would have to agree that the denial seems reasonable. If the crack had been caused by an accident or a collision then it would be covered under insurance, but otherwise no. For example if my windhsield is cracked from a flying stone my insurance will cover it, but if it's cracked because of the frame bending the windshield when I put down the jacks it would not be covered (this is a manufacturer defect, not an acccident).

At this point I think your best recourse is to go back to the manufacturer.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I wouldn't think a crack would be covered unless caused by an accident.
I think we're talking about vehicle insurance here and not manufacturer's warranty. As mentioned, IMO, a collision would be the only reason for the vehicle insurer to cover the damage.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the corner that this does'nt sound like something auto insurance covers. However it does'nt have to be cause by an accident to get covered. If you have comp insurance, if a tree fell on it or it was vandalism it would be covered.
Manufacturing defects would be a separate policy, Lloyds of London may sell it.
'05 Damon Daybreak, 3270 on '04 P-32 Workhorse
Parker, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe it wasn't really fixed the first time. OR maybe driving on a rough road caused this, or gusty wind causing a twist or inequal pressure, I think you need to site an incident as the cause. And what kind of engineer can figure this out? How about an independent ins adjuster? Or a forensic engineer. But just to say an engineer is ridiculous, I know engineers who wouldn't have any idea what an RV is.
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
Sorry, but I would agree with the majority of posters that neither this damage, nor broken windscreens caused by jacking should be covered by standard insurance. Same goes for delamination, water damage or damage to furniture and fittings, deterioration of paint finish or fading of curtains due to sunlight.

Problem is, if regular insurance DID cover this sort of non-impact damage, none of us mere mortals would be able to afford that sort of insurance cover.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Wow, I agree that this is not a matter for the ins company to assist, but I am very surprised that so many actually said so.

I've noticed that in the majority of cases, when one of our own (RV person) complains about something, no matter it being right or wrong, heavy support is the norm.

I just love those that are honest and prudent.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote