Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Insurance during storage-time

Good morning,

my two vehicles - rv and jeep - are covered by BlueSky. First it was said that the contributions are reduced if the vehicles are in storage. Now it's suddenly no longer. The Agency (Lazydays) wrote me today:

"Walter, we are not viable to separate comprehensive and collision coverages on the RV policy, the company does not allow this even When the vehicle is in storage. I understand the frustration this causes but we have no alternative."

Does anyone know of an alternative here in the forum. It can not be right if both cars are in storage and not being used on the road, then that no reduction occurs.

So what can i do?

Thanks.

Walter

Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not so sure I completely understand your question. However here goes, if your a member of FMCA you can go thru them, underwritten by GMAC and acquire coverage that is a reduced cost based upon your actual use and reduced price while in storage. I priced it up but still went with Blue Sky.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our coverage is with Hanover. When the coach is in storage the only coverage is for Comprehensive. We activate full coverage when we're getting ready to hit the road.We have never had a problem with them.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have GMAC which allows for reduced coverage when in storage. In CA this trigger a notice to the DMV which triggers a nasty gram about having to have coverage. You can put the coach in non-op status with the DMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a package policy on my toys. When I'm not using them and the plate runs out it still has insurance on it just sitting in storage. When ever I want to drive it I just renew the plate again. At least that's how it works up here.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

It is not so easy:

the former agent of the Honver Insurance in Florida told me that Hanover Insurance processed only business customers and no private customers !?!

And "GMAC" is now "National General". Let's see what response I get from the agent in Florida

Regards
Walter
Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I have the conversation correct?

One thought; if you cannot adjust your policy requirements can you adjust your policy limits? Instead of a million or some high amount in liability or collision can it be adjusted temporarily to a number substantial lower resulting in a reduced premium for that period of time.

I had one insurance Co. balk at reducing coverage if the unit had an outstanding loan. Otherwise with Progressive (RV) and Allstate (truck) I can adjust at will when they are stored which I do, it's easy money.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

this is exactly what I am looking for: an insurance policy where I can reduce the values ​​when the vehicles are in storage. Some insurance companies do not. For example, State Farm and RLI.

Walter
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
GMAC, now National General, allows Collision to be turned off while in storage.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not notice at first. Does the fact that you are in Europe change the dynamics on this? Of course I'm in the US where we speak perfrect engwish.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #11

Its dumb but some insurance companies wont let you lower your storage coverages if you also have a larger/umbrella liability rider in force.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #12

Good morgning,

has anyone had good experiences with other insurance companies? I have been asked: Progressive, National General, State Farm, RLI. Thanks.

Walter
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #13

I have GMAC and did the in storage only one time. I like to pay my policy in full for the entire 1 yr policy. When you go into storage, GMAC refunds what has been pre-paid, for the remainder of the policy. Then, when you come out of storage, they bill you for the remainder of the policy from that date. Then you have to keep the MVD posted via internet. There restriction of when and how long the RV can come in and out of storage, I don't recall the specifics on the time limits.

The hassel may be worth it if your in storage for a long period of time, but I'm in and out every other month. For me, just not worth the trouble.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the reduction through GMAC 2 years ago. No problem on the ins part but they didn't tell me I should surrender the plates because the liability was removed. I guess I should have known that but... I got a letter from the DMV a month later advising me of a $10 per day fine! I ended up having to surrender the plates for 45 days (time without full coverage). Then I had to go back and re-register. Of course the new ins card was wrong somehow and needed to fe faxed to the DMV office while I waited there! Big hassle. Never again. This is for NY state.

Tags
insurance, storage