Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Insurance, general & liability and extended warranty

We are new to the RV world moving from over 55 years in boating and very much welcome any and all comments. Insurance coverage seems a mystry as we attempt to navigate what is covered, how it is covered and what is not covered. My wife has done quite a bit of research and we feel the National General coverage is acceptable given the options. Please post any comments, opinions, good or not so good. Now, the issue of extended warranty and additional coverage such as road hazard and warranty that is beyond or outside the scope of the manufacturers new RV warranty. Our RV is a new Lifestyle and we have one shot at extended warranty coverage and that is as a new RV. We intend extensive travel throughout North America including Canada. Like everyone buying insurance we assume things will be covered and when a problem arises wish no surprises. We welcome all replies. Thank you.

captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might consider an extended service contract about the time the mfr's warranties on your various components expires. You don't have to buy right now. Sometimes the service contract and mfr's warranty can run concurrently. (Unless they give you seven years for a low, low price).

You might contact FCIS Insurance | RV Insurance, Auto Insurance, Homeowner's Insurance, Angler's Insurance for the insurance aspect. We have them and they have been insuring RVs for a while. Seem to be OK.

2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Scooter on the EW. I wouldn't buy it from the dealer and I wouldn't buy it until the mfg warranty expires.... although I did both of these things when I bought my new DP. We were very happy with our Easy Care policy.

For roadside assistance, just go with CoachNet and your worries are over. Hands down the most popular choice of members here on the forum.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would agree with Scooter, above, on the subject of a service contract at the end of your manufacturer's warranties-- IF your new fifth wheel has a good comprehensive warranty to start with. If your new warranty leaves a lot of your unit uncovered, or if the various vendors seem to have a lot of discretion in defining events as "not covered", then I would suggest you pursue a service contract to run concurrently. Remember, a warranty is just a promise. A service contract is a binding contract underwritten by an actual insurance policy.

In a more general sense, consider that you will basically need to address three levels of risk.

1) General coverage and liability.
2) Service contract
3) Emergency Roadside Assistance

There may be some overlap between these areas. For example, your general cover policy may offer some degree of roadside assistance. But you must be careful of any limitations imposed-- I looked a one roadside assistance package that was limited to two flat tires and one tow per year, or some combination like that. This level of coverage would save you about $50/year in premium. My preference is to address each different risk with its own coverage, and it has been my experience that it is best to buy the most comprehensive package available to ensure coverage in all circumstances.

We have our general cover with National Interstate, through the Poliseek Agency; our service contract was purchased from Wholesale Warranties, and is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance; and we have roadside assistance through CoachNet. We fortunately have had no claim history with National Interstate. We have filed two claims on our service contract, and have had two occasions to call CoachNet for roadside assistance. Based on this, I would rate both our service contract and CoachNet very highly, and would unequivocally recommend them.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
We have National General Insurance

Good Sam Continued Service Plan

Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance

We have had several claims on the continued service plan and are happy with them...

Also used Roadside assistance many times for car and motor home

Good service

Have not had a claim with National General but am checking around for the best insurance at the best price

I agree if you are going to pay for insurance you want to be covered when something happens ...
time2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
and we have one shot at extended warranty coverage and that is as a new RV.
Simply not true, as others have explained. In fact, you can qualify for a "new" RV extended warranty any time up to and including the expiration of the manufacturer warranty. And possibly even later - I bought "new RV" extended coverage when mine was 2.5 years old.

Your manufacturer warranty covers everything; no extended warranty has that broad a coverage. You MUST read and understand the coverage limitations in the extended coverage contract. It is NOT a warranty in any sense - just insurance for the cost of some types of repairs. If you don't have agood understanding of that, you will be angry and frustrated. Also, all such policies are not the same - read and compare.

You also need to understand your vehicle insurance and what is liability, what is collision and what is "other". Ask the agent pointed questions about possible situations, e.g. what coverage do i have if somebody falls down the steps while I am parked? What if a hail storm damages the awnings? Suppose somebody breaks in and steals all my expensive electronic gear, e.g. cameras, PCs, DVD player, etc. You may find that many things in or on the RV are considered to be "Personal Property" and likely limited to a tiny number, e.g. $2000. If so, increase that amount - it probably costs very little to do so.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote