Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Insurance Limitations??

What limitations are ya'll getting for Bodily Injury Liability, Property Liability and Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Medical Payments? While searching for a new policy these limits range a lot. I have a motorhome if this makes any difference.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Those liability limits are up to you. Different companies might have different defaults or minimums, but YOU need to determine what liability limit makes sense for you. And tell the insurance companies what you want so you're comparing similar policies. You need to pick the limits that make sense to protect your assets in case you get sued after an accident or other event.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

Reuben, get a quote from your insurance company on an Umbrella Policy. We have State Farm, and our umbrella policy covers our two houses, MH, and 3 vehicles. It picks up where the normal policy ends should you get sued beyond those coverages. What happens is they increase the coverage on each independent policy, and then you can get the Umbrella for any amount you choose starting at 1 million. While doing the whole thing our policy on each thing car, house ect. didn't increase any(due to getting additional discounts for adding another policy) to get the higher coverage. When all the dust settled the Umbrella Policy only costs us $285 a year. Pretty cheap in my opinion and it makes me sleep better.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have an umbrella policy too. The terms of the umbrella policy will dictate what your liability minimums need to be for each underlying (home, auto, RV, etc) policy.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Reuben, get a quote from your insurance company on an Umbrella Policy. We have State Farm, and our umbrella policy covers our two houses, MH, and 3 vehicles. It picks up where the normal policy ends should you get sued beyond those coverages. What happens is they increase the coverage on each independent policy, and then you can get the Umbrella for any amount you choose starting at 1 million. While doing the whole thing our policy on each thing car, house ect. didn't increase any(due to getting additional discounts for adding another policy) to get the higher coverage. When all the dust settled the Umbrella Policy only costs us $285 a year. Pretty cheap in my opinion and it makes me sleep better.
When I first bought my coach I had my State Farm agent figure up a quote. They did not know what they was doing. I do have my car and home with State Farm. The quote I got was the highest of them all. I figured I would be wasting my time this time.

Are you saying all you are paying for your motorhome insurance is $285 a year?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
When I first bought my coach I had my State Farm agent figure up a quote. They did not know what they was doing. I do have my car and home with State Farm. The quote I got was the highest of them all. I figured I would be wasting my time this time.
If it was me, I'd be looking for a new insurance broker. Probably an independent.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If it was me, I'd be looking for a new insurance broker. Probably an independent.
Nope - they are a full time State Farm business.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Nope - they are a full time State Farm business.
I understand they're State Farm only. What I meant was that if they can't do RV insurance, why not look for alternatives where you can get it all done with one agent?

Also, on your other question, I think the $285 that Mike mentioned was the cost of the $1M umbrella policy, over and above the individual home/vehicle policies.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am limited due to where I live (hurricane country) to very few insurance companies. Most of the companies that do RV insurance will not insure my home. State Farm has the lowest homeowner policy.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
What limitations are ya'll getting for Bodily Injury Liability, Property Liability and Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Medical Payments? While searching for a new policy these limits range a lot. I have a motorhome if this makes any difference.
I'm not clear on your exact question. Are you asking what we are setting as limits? If so, then in this day and age where anything you hit will most likely cost a lot to replace, bodily injury claims will be quite high, and lawsuits happen at a drop of a hat, I would start at about 1/2 million a combined single limit , and then get an umbrella policy (which are typically dirt cheap) for $1mill or more.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I checked with my State Farm agent and they are still higher than everyone else.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #12

If you get into an accident: How much are you worth? What can you realistically be sued for...home, investments, business, estate? If these questions ring a bell it is time to talk with a trusted insurance agent about packages available.
Happy Trails.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

Not only do you worry about if it's your fault but you can beat that if it's the other persons fault they aren't going to have enough which was my biggest worry. In today's society minimum cost for minimum coverage will not cover half the new cars.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I got tired of paying through the nose simply because I lived in Florida. So I moved. Cars are insured through USAA. House insured by Tennessee Farm Bureau. I was paying more per month for property insurance in Florida than my mortgage payment. In Tennessee, about a month and half worth of mortgage payment per YEAR for property insurance, and with all of the policies, I get more than the minimum required.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance