Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Insurance: National Interstate or Progressive?

I just received insurance quotes in preparation for our "move" to South Dakota. The quotes from National Interstate and Progressive are very close in cost and coverage. Opinions please, anything to recommend one company over the other?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had progressive for 3 years and premium went up every year, now have Victoria through Gilbert in Florida and no increases and no problems.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

We have had National Interstate since 2007 with one claim professionally handled. Every couple of years I get quotations from competitors and National Interstate has always been competitive. Truth is, though, I have never asked Progressive - I could not ever support Peter Lewis's causes by contributing to his company's profits.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have had Progressive for my motorhome for about 6 years. I have had two accidents involving the left rear corner of my rig. Both were my fault. The first cost them about $4,000 for both vehicles. About 3 months latter I had another one, and it was one of those nightmare claims where the gal I hit grinned and called a lawyer. A dent the size of half of a soccer ball cost Progressive over $45,000! Yes, my premium went up, but less than15%. They handled both very professionally, and treated me with nothing but respect. I expected to get cancelled, or a huge increase, and neither happened. I like to shop it every couple of years, but with this incident record, I know good and well I won't be able to do any better for at least 3-4 years
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
No claims, ever. My Progressive went from $1200+ in 2011 to $1600+ in 2012 to this year $2060.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I just received insurance quotes in preparation for our "move" to South Dakota. The quotes from National Interstate and Progressive are very close in cost and coverage. Opinions please, anything to recommend one company over the other?
RV Insurance | Motorhome Insurance | Blue Sky RV Insurance

They specialize in coverage for full time RVers.

We are also SD residents btw.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #7

So---I guess what you can take away from this is: Shop around; A lot depends on the particular people you are dealing with; and----Don't be afraid to change companies until/unless you find one you are happy with.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I just switched from Progressive to Nationwide after being with Progrssive for many years and watching rates slowly climb until this year an increase of $1100. No accidents or tickets. I had 0 deductible for years of no claims and total loss replacement. Because coach is over 5 years old no other carrier will provide total loss coverage. Bottom line Progrssive about $2700/Yr and Nationwide about $1400/year with same or better coverage (less total loss replacement...Progressive dropped to $2400/yr if I dropped total loss replacement). GO FIGURE!!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
I just switched from Progressive to Nationwide after being with Progrssive for many years and watching rates slowly climb until this year an increase of $1100. No accidents or tickets. I had 0 deductible for years of no claims and total loss replacement. Because coach is over 5 years old no other carrier will provide total loss coverage. Bottom line Progrssive about $2700/Yr and Nationwide about $1400/year with same or better coverage (less total loss replacement...Progressive dropped to $2400/yr if I dropped total loss replacement). GO FIGURE!!
I have been with Nationwide for many years but they do not do business in South Dakota, hence the need for change.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
RV Insurance | Motorhome Insurance | Blue Sky RV Insurance

They specialize in coverage for full time RVers.

We are also SD residents btw.
Well, I just requested a quote from Blue Sky. Their price is less than half of the other quotes for the same coverage. Craig (or anyone else), do you have personal experience or recommendations of Blue Sky?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I am shopping for insurance right now. I have had over half the people on another forum tell me to try Blue Sky, that they have had good experiences with the company. Some have had claims that were professionally and quickly handled, the rest have had no claims. So it appears that this is a good company to deal with. I am going to get a quote today and if it is good, I will be going to Blue Sky.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Well, I just requested a quote from Blue Sky. Their price is less than half of the other quotes for the same coverage. Craig (or anyone else), do you have personal experience or recommendations of Blue Sky?
We have been with them since we went full-time 1 1/2 years ago. In my own research I found that they had the biggest bang for the buck and we are covered for anything you can possibly think of. While we haven't had to file any claims (knock on wood ), we've learned from those who have, that they haven't had any issues.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We shopped all the major insurance carriers when we got our "new to us" motorhome and initially went with Progressive. Two or three days after getting the Progressive policy I saw a post on this board about National Interstate. I inquired about a policy with them, and got better coverage -with a purchase price guarantee - that was less than 1/2 of the Progressive quote.

We're on our first renewal period and our rate has not increased at all.

Compare that to our sticks 'n bricks ... that went up 46% this year! And we have never had a claim. We've been with the same insurance company on the S&B since 2008 and the upcoming renewal will be an increase of 114% since our first policy period. Needless to say, we are shopping around for a new carrier!!

As to National Interstate, we haven't had any claims, but we're happy with the coverage and pricing we have with them.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading this post, I decided I would seek out a rate quote from Blue Sky, but it appears they do not write policies in CT - the state is not listed in their quote form.

Guess we'll stick with National Interstate ... although we're leaning towards State Farm right now for the S&B, auto and umbrella policy. I'm just waiting to see what their RV rate would be when combined with the other policies.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, national