Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Insurance on new Motorhome

We are picking up our new 2013 Motohome on Friday. We just called our State Farm agent and they wrote the policy for $406.35 for 6 months. Today I get a call from a man with Allied Insurance telling me that State Farm doesn't cover RV's very well at all and won't cover for full replacement like they do. This is the first ever RV of any type that we will have so now very confused about the insurance.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with Allied Insurance. I see that it is a Nationwide company. Other than knowing that fthey sponsor the Nationwide Nascar races we know nothing about them.

We have had State Farm insurance for 45 years and just have never thought about any other company.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ginny

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm insured through Victoria which is a sub of Allied which is a sub of Nationwide. ( I think ) I use Gilbert Ins Brokers. They specialize in RVs.
888-784-6787. Never had a claim so I can't vouch for them. Check them out.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I am insured with Allied and I bought the policy from a broker who specializes in RVs. That tell me that Allied is a good RV insurer. I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I am also going to get a quote from them. My best so far is from GMAC, which is pretty good. Since we are still a couple or more weeks from actually getting the MH I still have time.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ginny47,
Consider contacting Farm & City at 800-331-1520. Go to RV Insurance | FCIS Insurance and read about them. They specialize in motor coach insurance. Allied is one of the companies they write for. Assuming a clean driving record, the rate all depends on your zip code. Because they are a broker, they will ensure you get the best rate for the coverage you select. I've had FCIS and Allied for several years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have Progressive and full replacement value for 4 years.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I need to keep up with this thread. I did a quote request through GMAC and it came back with $1,668 a year. We could possibly order our motorhome as early as this week. The OP quote of $406 is about what I pay for my regular vehicle that is insured by State Farm.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
We have been with Gilbert from day one our cost is 740 a year. On a new coach as long as you own it you get full replacement value. We have been very pleased.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Insurance

Thanks for all the replies. The thing that bothered us with Allied is it is listed as leisure so we cannot be in it for more than 150 days a year. If we go over a 150 days then we would be considered full time. The gentleman with Allied told me it would be quite a bit more but he couldn't tell me how much more. At this point we don't know for sure if we will full time or not, we are leaning that way. The application says to be used less than 30 days at a time also.

Since have to have insurance on it by Friday and we had already paid 2 months with State Farm guess we will keep that for 4 months. That will give us time to research better which insurance to go with.

Two days until we pick up the motorhome, so excited!!!!

Jim, Ginny & Abbie(2 year old Schnauzer)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

I have National Interstate of Hawaii it costs me about $600 for the whole year .....I'm not full time tho. Believe It or not we priced Geico had a much better policy, but it was significantly more expensive.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to be sure we're apples to apples...

State Farm will pay the retail value of the rig at the time of loss. Many companies sell a "replacement cost" policy which, in most cases, will pay to replace your rig with a brand new one of whatever model year the loss takes place. This is usually limited to within 5 years of when yours was new. After the 5th year they'll typically pay you your full purchase price when you bought it new. In either case that's likely to be a LOT more than your rig is worth at the time. That's why this coverage is considerably more expensive than a "normal" policy.

You are right, State Farm does not presently offer a replacement cost policy. Nor do they offer "full timer" coverage (the liability coverage that usually comes from your home owner of renter policy). It broke my heart to have to buy insurance elsewhere after working for State Farm for over 30 years.

Just make sure you're getting what you want. For example, I was surprised when GIECO's quote was only about 60% of the others, until I clairified with them that they do not offer replacement cost (a fact he forgot to mention, in spite of the fact that I'd specified it when telling him what I wanted).
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
my 1st question to allied would be "how did you get my name and number?" i am always suspicious of unsolicited calls,i i dont call you first WE AINT DOING ANY BUSINESS
brianj
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This is in reference to post #9. I wonder how the insurance company would prove you used the coach more than described in post #9?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We had State Farm, left them and glad we did there were just too many problems with them for us. But then from what I understand most don't have the problems we did with them.
We now have Progressive for the RV, Harley and 4Runner. Oh and full-time with Progressive was actually a few dollars less then non full-time. That was just too amusing.

Tags
insurance, motorhome