Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Insurance on Travel Trailers

The tiny travel trailer we just bought is in a secure storage facility. We will not be moving it till April or even maybe May.

Am I correct in thinking that any insurance we get through Geico vehicle policy will only be protecting us from when we are on the road in case of any mishaps/damages?

Should I be looking into our homeowner's policy to see about insurance that covers our vehicle for damages/theft etc, personal liability etc when we are at a campground? Sorry for the questions, we are new owners.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

Also, I am wondering as long as it is still stationary, do I even need vehicle type insurance until we take it out?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have questions about insurance, why don't you ask the folks you get insurance from alreadY?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #4

I was just asking what people do, since I have never owned one before. Like, are there companies that only deal with insurance for RVs/TT ?
I have no idea. Just looking for help here.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I got my TT insurance through the same company I have auto and motorcycle through. Multi vehicle discounts, full timer policy, and not very expensive. Includes a good road hazard policy for the TT if I am towing it.

Start with the folks you already do business with, and ask for all of the discounts that you might qualify for: multiple vehicle, clean record, no claims, etc.

There's a good chance you might be surprised at how little it could cost to insure a TT. Also double check the storage insurance policy, it may not cover a vehicle or RV at all.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Like any other vehicle, it depends on what coverages you buy. Some policies are for collision only, so only cover highway accidents. Obviously, those are cheaper. If you want comprehensive (aka "other than collision") coverage, it will cost more. That would cover things like fire, theft, vandalism, and hail.

You may also want "campground liability", if you don't already have liability insurance via a home owners or apartment dwellers policy. Folks might get hurt at your campsite, e.g. a fire flare-up or trip over a guy rope. It happens...

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, travel, travel trailer