Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #43

I check for lowest rate every year before renewing. GEICO has never been even close to what I get insured for. Be sure to check with several companies before choosing.
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we have been with Geico for some time and are very pleased with them.
Have both vehicles and the MH insured thru them.
Have had one claim where DW got backed into at a stop light.
Long story short, other driver took off when we said the local PD were called.
Geico was contacted and took care of everything from finding a repair shop to getting a rental waiting at the shop for us.
Also had thecar repaired and returned in three days.
This surprised us even more.
Hope this helps out some.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #45

ROM,

Check out my response on the Motorhome-general Discussion page under "Progressive Insurance Gone Nuts" I think you will find it enlightening. For those who buy their RV insurance based on cheapest price. Based on my 40+ years of Economics experience they (the insurance company) are laughing ALL the way to the bank.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #46
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NAVYBLUE:

Thanks, I'll do that.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Time to give an education like I got....

I used to have all my eggs in one basket because the agent was my friend, it's called bundling. Bundling can be two items like I now do. Since I bundled just my cars and 2 motorcycles, I saved almost $500 per year on those 2 items. I bundled my house and powerboat and saved an additional $388. per year thru a different insurance co. My RV was the eye opener, I went on line and filled our the application for Gilbert RV insurance and saved 1/2 what I presently pay. The catch..... The application asked me to tell how much I owed on the coach minus deposit and trade in. It came to almost $50000. Well that's the number they use!!! My previous agent used the sale price. (If I get a great deal, why not insure to the true value?)

I called and spoke to an agent and asked how this could be possible! She was extremely helpful and cheerfully took me thru the RV process. If I owe 50,000 on a 200,000. that is what I get. It's the lesser of Actual Cash Value, or book value which is a deperication policy. I explained my RV was worth much more than I owed so if I have a total loss, I would get $50,000.? She said yes. What I had to do, is get a survey from a RV dealer than get an Agreed Value policy. They would guarantee the value for 10 years provided I stayed with them. The policy was a little more expensive, but I was guaranteed the value.

All of you saving hundreds of dollars, might want to see which policy your paying for. Wouldn't it be a shame to find out with a total loss, you owe more than your true value! I now own my coach outright, so there's no lien holder.

So, what is your total loss value??????????
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
GEICO:
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #49

Howie that is of utmost importance. My insurance company is Farm Bureau, higher premiums that any E-companies for sure. I get what I pay for though, everything is insured for replacement value, and I can walk into an office in any state to talk face-to-face with someone who is concerned with my questions or problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie-2005 View Post

I used to have all my eggs in one basket because the agent was my friend, it's called bundling. Bundling can be two items like I now do. Since I bundled just my cars and 2 motorcycles, I saved almost $500 per year on those 2 items. I bundled my house and powerboat and saved an additional $388. per year thru a different insurance co. My RV was the eye opener, I went on line and filled our the application for Gilbert RV insurance and saved 1/2 what I presently pay. The catch..... The application asked me to tell how much I owed on the coach minus deposit and trade in. It came to almost $50000. Well that's the number they use!!! My previous agent used the sale price. (If I get a great deal, why not insure to the true value?)

I called and spoke to an agent and asked how this could be possible! She was extremely helpful and cheerfully took me thru the RV process. If I owe 50,000 on a 200,000. that is what I get. It's the lesser of Actual Cash Value, or book value which is a deperication policy. I explained my RV was worth much more than I owed so if I have a total loss, I would get $50,000.? She said yes. What I had to do, is get a survey from a RV dealer than get an Agreed Value policy. They would guarantee the value for 10 years provided I stayed with them. The policy was a little more expensive, but I was guaranteed the value.

All of you saving hundreds of dollars, might want to see which policy your paying for. Wouldn't it be a shame to find out with a total loss, you owe more than your true value! I now own my coach outright, so there's no lien holder.

I think you misunderstood the agent on the ACV policy. From what you're telling me is you only get what you owe on the vehicle in the event of a total loss? What if you pay cash for a $200k motorhome and total it? Would you get nothing from your insurance company??? ACV is actual cash value less depreciation. It has nothing to do with how much you owe.
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnlueck View Post
I think you misunderstood the agent on the ACV policy. From what you're telling me is you only get what you owe on the vehicle in the event of a total loss? What if you pay cash for a $200k motorhome and total it? Would you get nothing from your insurance company??? ACV is actual cash value less depreciation. It has nothing to do with how much you owe.
Boy am I a fool, I went back to the application and it said INCLUDING... NOT EXCLUDING
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #52

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I just looked up my documents for my GEICO policy.

This coverage protects your RV if it is deemed a "total loss" (the cost to repair the vehicle exceeds its value). We will either replace your RV with one of similar like, kind or quality or pay up to the original purchase price, depending on the age of your RV (please maintain copies of the original sales receipt as proof of cost). You must carry both Comprehensive and Collision coverages in order to qualify for Total Loss Replacement Cost Coverage. This coverage is not available after the RV reaches its 8th model year.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

I READ THE APP WRONG.... IT SAID NOT COUNTING THE TRADE IN OR DOWN PAYMENT include, NOT EXCLUDE
Old 06-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
FROM MY POST ON ANOTHER THREAD. I HAD PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE

AFTER I POSTED THIS, I WENT BACK TO THE ON LINE FORM. ON THE VALUE I MISREAD INCLUDED NOT EXCLUDED!!!!!! No wonder the lady helped me so mucg. Anyhow, it's worth a look at your polict anyhow. Also the agreed value with them is three years.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just saved a bundle

I just saved a bundle of money on my MH insurance, car insurance, and roadservice.

Thanks to the discussion about the radical premium increases from Progressive Insurance.

Total savings for MH and cars $1441.00, plus $80.00 on roadservice

Thanks iRV2,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Wow, who did you go with?
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote