Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Insurance Renewal Time

Would like some current insurance opinions. Fortunately all my insurance, home, autos, and RV are due within about a 10 day period in early March. I currently use State Farm on the home and autos and National General on the RV. In doing a quote comparison of to projected current renewals with going with a AARP "Bundle" policies will reduce my total premium by $1200 to $1300 dollars depending on the collision deductible I choose. on. The amounts of coverage appear to be the same. What are the general thoughts on AARP.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

i am looking for something else now after several years. I have 2 cars and a motorhome. They went up $300 this year, no claims. It seems they all give you good rates to switch but once they have you, the rates go up. Don't know yet if I can do any better
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just switched all of my insurance to Hartford AARP and saved $1200 per year. I haven't had a claim but I have read good reviews.

I used a broker to shop for me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #4

Insurance Renewal Time

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.
We pay annually, online.

Best of luck!

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

AARP is not an insurer - they just rent out their name and customer list. Last I knew, their RV policies were from The Hartford. I had AARP Hartford on the coach for 3 years and our cars for a dozen or more, but eventually left. Nothing wrong with the policies, but they didn't offer email access, online review and billing, direct payment from my bank or via credit card. I felt their whole operation was creaky and antiquated and I conduct all my bill payments and business online these days. But maybe they have improved in the last couple years....

I do have AARP Home insurance via Foremost (for our double wide trailer) and have been very pleased with both rates and service, including prompt handling of claims.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
AARP is not an insurer - they just rent out their name and customer list. Last I knew, their RV policies were from The Hartford. I had AARP Hartford on the coach for 3 years and our cars for a dozen or more, but eventually left. Nothing wrong with the policies, but they didn't offer email access, online review and billing, direct payment from my bank or via credit card. I felt their whole operation was creaky and antiquated and I conduct all my bill payments and business online these days. But maybe they have improved in the last couple years....

I do have AARP Home insurance via Foremost (for our double wide trailer) and have been very pleased with both rates and service, including prompt handling of claims.
Things must have changed, we do all our business with Hartford via the internet. We are set up for auto pay, email notifications, etc.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the input. After doing a closer look at the policy offered, making adjustments for tow service on the cars and dropping the high deductible to a reasonable level, I would still end up with a $800 dollar savings and have the advantage of only having to renew all insurances once a year. Unless something comes up in the next three weeks, looks like I'll do the AARP Policy, Thanks again for the input.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
With a new motor home ordered, we have a chance to change insurance companies if we find something better.

Our cars are insured by Geico and they are quoting us a very good rate.

Does anyone have Geico RV insurance experience, pro or con?

We'll also have a broker shopping for us but I don't think they include Geico.

Thanks,
Jim Barber
'87 CC LTD, downsizing to new Bay Star
jrbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

If you have National General on your MH, you should call them to get a rate quote on your cars!!
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

We had National General but this year's premium jumped from $1,100 to $1,700. No claims, no changes, just a 55% increase. I called Progressive where I already had the MC insured and got the same coverage for $823.
Shop around!
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #11

I have no loyalty to an insurance co.. I shop around every year since it's so easy to do with the internet. I just signed up my auto & motorhome with Progressive since they gave me the best rate. Got the roadside assistance(towing) for just an additional $24.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Thanks to all for the input. After doing a closer look at the policy offered, making adjustments for tow service on the cars and dropping the high deductible to a reasonable level, I would still end up with a $800 dollar savings and have the advantage of only having to renew all insurances once a year. Unless something comes up in the next three weeks, looks like I'll do the AARP Policy, Thanks again for the input.
If you haven't already done so I would recommend checking out USAA.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #13

My quote from Hartford (via AARP) was 30% higher than I currently paid.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

I have been a USAA member for nearly 50 years and they put me on the street with my last motor home purchase. They may still insure some RV's but not class A's. I suppose if you have owned the same one for a number of years, then you may be possibly grandfathered, but you will be on the street after the next trade. Same applies to boats I believe. They set me up with Progressive, which was twice the USAA premium. I kept Progressive for three years, but their premiums went up 30% this year, so I waved them good by. I questioned Progressive's rate increase and they told me that had made a mistake and that they would have to increase my rates another $250! No accidents and no change of address. I suppose the new company will jump my rates by 30% next year. I guess the system requires us to shop around every blasted year.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance