Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Insurance, what's the deal?

In the past I've tried to get quotes from a well known insurance agency. IN both cases they wanted to know what I was paying! That's their job! I refused and they never bothered to even give me a quote.
Now that we bought a different rig I got a quote from them while at the GS rally in Phoenix. It was to include a multi vehicle discount since it would also be the MH and both cars. Went ahead with it since it saves us $1500 a year.

Today I got a notice direct from the ins co. that we don't get the multiple discount as we don't have our home insurance through them! Well, that wasn't part of the original quote and all we were told was that we got the discount if all our vehicles were insured through them. It's only $115 but still a rip off IMHO since we never said anything about transferring the house ins.

Will need to decide if I'm going to file a complaint with the Ins Commission over it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think an insurance agency's quote is binding on the insurance company. It is after all just a quote subject to approval by the actual insurance company.

Look at the positive side, you may not be saving $1,500 but you will be saving $1,385, still a pretty substantial amount.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Insurance agencies are greedy, and they want all of your business. In many states, it's even hard to get homeowners' insurance unless you insure a minimum of 2 vehicles with them. Drop one car, and they'll raise your other premiums a ridiculous amount.

That's just the way they operate.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

By chance, did you request a quote from the FMCA carrier?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
By chance, did you request a quote from the FMCA carrier?
No, I don't remember getting a quote from them.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I don't think an insurance agency's quote is binding on the insurance company. It is after all just a quote subject to approval by the actual insurance company.

Look at the positive side, you may not be saving $1,500 but you will be saving $1,385, still a pretty substantial amount.
True, just can't understand why the agent would misquote like that since they had all the info and had several days to figure it out.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

I just got home and looked at the notice again, it's $215.30 so still a savings but I'm betting they raise it again for some reason!
Kind of like they're looking for a reason to raise the premium like the banks did when trying to get financing for the Magna. One of BOA's reasons for the high rate was "No recent car loan data"! Well, if you cars are both paid off and have been for several years then there won't be any loan data! We paid them both off in cash years early but they didn't care. Of course all they were looking for was an excuse to cover their behinds.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

I might not be on time with this answer for you

To get the multi vehicle discount you only need to cover both vehicles. If you received a writer quote the quote is usually binding until the expiration date us ally located on the bottom with any requirements. A lot of insurers will not write the auto without covering your home but that would need to stated on your quote as well.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance