Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Insurance woes (Ontario Canada)

I just found out today that I cannot have my motorhome outside Ontario for more that six months without forfeiting my coverage. Absurd.

The only way to void this is to come back for one day then carry on but I will be on the west coast!

After extensive searching, it seems that this not a provincial or federally imposed regulation, but I could be wrong.

Are there any Ontarians out there that have insurance with a company that doesn't impose this limitation?
itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

You can't be in the USA for more than 6 months, , were you planning on being back ; somewhere in Canada ; before the time is up .
If you'll be in Canada , I'd say contact the insurance company , to see if anywhere in Canada would be acceptable.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Every Canadian I've talked to has to return to Canada within 6 months. Something sbout loss of benefits
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You can't be in the USA for more than 6 months, , were you planning on being back ; somewhere in Canada ; before the time is up .
If you'll be in Canada , I'd say contact the insurance company , to see if anywhere in Canada would be acceptable.
Yes I planned on being back in Canada before the six months is up mainly because of the IRS gotcha policy. For the route I am planning I would be 1500 kms to the Ontario border from my re entry point.

The insurance companies stated that I must return to Ontario (origin of ins policy) within six months, if only for one day. Talk about being captive. Still researching for alternatives or loop holes before deciding to change my itinerary.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Every Canadian I've talked to has to return to Canada within 6 months. Something sbout loss of benefits
Here in Ontario, the Ontario health ins bureaucracy dictates that you cannot be out of province for more that 185 days in a 12 month period other wise you have to re apply for the insurance which has a 3 month waiting period.

I thought as I got older I/we Canadians (well Ontarians for sure) would have more freedom to enjoy the fruits of our labor but I guess I am wrong. Sad to say the least.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
WDW

Fly. Don't drive. Quicker, faster, cheaper. And free snacks!

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

No other Canadians who do extensive travelling?

There must be a few of you.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

What if I just go?

At this point I'm thinking, just go. Before I decide to do that, are there any frequent or high mileage travelers (known to your insurance provider) that have had to make a claim and they questioned your whereabouts and for how long?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
At this point I'm thinking, just go. Before I decide to do that, are there any frequent or high mileage travelers (known to your insurance provider) that have had to make a claim and they questioned your whereabouts and for how long?
Your passport scan at the border ; to the USA and back into Canada ; would provide the company with some proof of your whereabouts and timing of your trip; don't now if they could track you in Canada to say the rig had been outside of Ontario over the 6 months.
Canadian Snowbird Ass. is involved with provincial governments , to get the medical insurance limits changed, and several provinces have extended the limit to 7 months .
The CSA, is also working with the US government on a Retired Canadian Visa to work around the " in the USA " limit too.
Don't know if they're working with insurance companies.

The CSA - Voice of Travelling Canadians - Canadian Snowbird Association
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I just found out today that I cannot have my motorhome outside Ontario for more that six months without forfeiting my coverage. Absurd.

The only way to void this is to come back for one day then carry on but I will be on the west coast!

After extensive searching, it seems that this not a provincial or federally imposed regulation, but I could be wrong.

Are there any Ontarians out there that have insurance with a company that doesn't impose this limitation?
Not sure what insurance you have. If it is a provincial service it likely ties it with residence. That is why the rules for the US are 6 months. You must be in your province for the majority of the year.

Alberta and BC have a 7 month exit allowance. Possibly other provinces including Ontario as well. I would check that and if Ontario allows you out of the province for more than 6 months I believe the insurance plan you have must cover you for the same time. It should be provincially mandated in the insurance regulations.

If you are concerned about your insurance you should also be concerned about your provincial health care. It may be possible that if you are out of the province for more than 6 months your provincial health insurance could also be forfeit. In our case if we do not have provincial health insurance our out of country health insurance is invalid.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your passport scan at the border ; to the USA and back into Canada ; would provide the company with some proof of your whereabouts and timing of your trip; don't now if they could track you in Canada to say the rig had been outside of Ontario over the 6 months.
Canadian Snowbird Ass. is involved with provincial governments , to get the medical insurance limits changed, and several provinces have extended the limit to 7 months .
The CSA, is also working with the US government on a Retired Canadian Visa to work around the " in the USA " limit too.
Don't know if they're working with insurance companies.

The CSA - Voice of Travelling Canadians - Canadian Snowbird Association
You are right about the passport and I wonder if any Joe Blow insurance company or otherwise can freely get that information. Hope not. For tracking in Canada, I could see them asking you for gas/campground receipts under the guilty till proven innocent policy if they suspect something. They will go to great lengths to avoid a claim or squeeze more money out of you.

Thanks for CSA link.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not sure what insurance you have. If it is a provincial service it likely ties it with residence. That is why the rules for the US are 6 months. You must be in your province for the majority of the year.

Alberta and BC have a 7 month exit allowance. Possibly other provinces including Ontario as well. I would check that and if Ontario allows you out of the province for more than 6 months I believe the insurance plan you have must cover you for the same time. It should be provincially mandated in the insurance regulations.

If you are concerned about your insurance you should also be concerned about your provincial health care. It may be possible that if you are out of the province for more than 6 months your provincial health insurance could also be forfeit. In our case if we do not have provincial health insurance our out of country health insurance is invalid.
Ontario auto insurance is private but overseen by the province and feds but I have yet to see the 6 month limit in any of the prov or federal documentation. As far as health care, you can APPLY for an out of province extension for up to a two year period but can only do that once every 5 years.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Ontario auto insurance is private but overseen by the province and feds but I have yet to see the 6 month limit in any of the prov or federal documentation. As far as health care, you can APPLY for an out of province extension for up to a two year period but can only do that once every 5 years.
We are from AB so have the 7 month outside which was recently passed in the legislature. If we stay beyond 7 months (and get caught) there is a 6 month period we have to remain in province for the health insurance to be re-instated. For that reason we are very careful to ensure we do not disqualify ourselves.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #14

Car insurance is privately controlled but with government regulations. The 183 day limit is correct for Ontario car insurance.
I just renewed my health insurance and the following statement was on the form:
"I confirm that:
I will be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any twelve-month period to retain my OHIP coverage"

Ontario has already gone to the 7 month absence rule for health insurance.

Your car insurance rates are based on where you live and that's the reason they won't cover you if you are out of the province for more than 6 months. When I moved from Mississauga to Ottawa last year my insurance rate dropped by $800 for exactly the same coverage and with the same company.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, insurance