Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Insuring your RV-Good Sam's now offers coverage

Hi there!
I am interested in hearing from folks who may have recently decided to engage good Sams insurance agency for coverage their RV. We have a class a diesel pusher that is currently insured by State Farm in connection with our other automobile coverage. We have recently received a Invitation from the good Sam club to consider coverage from a new line of coverage that applies or was specifically designed for RV 's.
If you have recently switched from your automobile styled coverage to Good SAMs I'd like to hear your reason(s) for trying this new plan. Thanks Rufus & Ruth Fruge, Lake Charles, La

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

We ask for a quote from Good Sam and found them to be higher than most others that quoted us. After we ask for a quote, they spammed us to death with phone calls on our cell phone. Every time we blocked one number, they switched to another. Chuck

chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Topeekeegee Yugnee Park is just south of Ft Lauderdale. Depending on your friends address, it may be very close. This is a nice Rv park. It's a beautiful park for biking or jogging around the lake.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusfruge View Post
Hi there!
I am interested in hearing from folks who may have recently decided to engage good Sams insurance agency for coverage their RV. We have a class a diesel pusher that is currently insured by State Farm in connection with our other automobile coverage. We have recently received a Invitation from the good Sam club to consider coverage from a new line of coverage that applies or was specifically designed for RV 's.
If you have recently switched from your automobile styled coverage to Good SAMs I'd like to hear your reason(s) for trying this new plan. Thanks Rufus & Ruth Fruge, Lake Charles, La
I originally went thru GS (the used National General for me) At $2200 a year for 300-100-300 at a $1000 DED I switched to GIECO at same levels with tires + emergency road side for $1100 a year. The nation General does have a part that you can call if you are in storage mode and they drop to liability only and refund you a good portion of the premium. The problem is you have to remember to call every time you take your RV out and the transaction is all thru snail mail, so you have to deposit the refund then when you reactivate your other coverage send them a payment, that gets old quick IMO and I tend to forget to call them everytime I take a trip. GIECO has a dedicated RV dept.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Exercise due diligence. We used to have GS insurance (National General), now they have their own company. We decided to go with Winnebago insurance (Allied). After purchase I sat down and did a side-by-side comparison of coverage. Allied was $200/yr less, but does not cover awnings, slide toppers, etc., GS Insurance did/does, and has the option to suspend comprehensive while the RV is in storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's hardly a "new plan". GS has offered RV insurance for nigh 20 years. They currently use National General as the insurer - that's who you are dealing with. And you already have insurance that was "designed for RVs". Motorhome policies are quite a bit different than car policies, no doubt including the one you have from State Farm.

whether the coverages and price is better or worse than what you now have depends on what coverage you ask for as well as all the usual insurance rating factors (location, driving record, credit rating, RV size/type/cost, etc.). You have to get a quote and see.

I get a quote from GS every 3 years when I periodically re-evaluate my insurer and coverages. They have never come even close to being competitive for me, but others say they get good rates. You just have to shop and compare - each of our situations are different.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
We ask for a quote from Good Sam and found them to be higher than most others that quoted us. After we ask for a quote, they spammed us to death with phone calls on our cell phone. Every time we blocked one number, they switched to another. Chuck

X2 same thing here.... They were higher and spammed BIG TIME
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

We had GS (National General) insurance. First and second year was $680 per year, full coverage (class c mh). Third year went up to $840 for no reason...had no claims, tickets, nada. Contacted NG and was told it was an across the board increase, but they could put me with another lower rated co for less.
Told them to kiss my ...toe.
Went with Progressive, actually better coverage, for $640, less than original cost with NG.
If Progressive goes up at a later time, than I'll look elseware.
It pays to check around and compare costs.
Grumpy
Old 02-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
We had GS (National General) insurance. First and second year was $680 per year, full coverage (class c mh). Third year went up to $840 for no reason...had no claims, tickets, nada. Contacted NG and was told it was an across the board increase, but they could put me with another lower rated co for less.
Told them to kiss my ...toe.
Went with Progressive, actually better coverage, for $640, less than original cost with NG.
If Progressive goes up at a later time, than I'll look elseware.
It pays to check around and compare costs.
Grumpy
Yup, we owe no allegiance to any insurance company. Whoever quotes the lowest price for identical coverage gets my business. Just last week I got a low quote from Liberty Mutual on our house for almost the same coverage, BUT, that was only if I also switch our auto policies to them. Their auto policies cost so much the total of premiums were much higher than now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

We're also with Progressive and at renewal was $614 ,which includes the roadside/towing rider that only adds $24. It actually went down this year.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #11

Good Sam Insurance

To all of you who have responded thus far, thanks. I'll certainly take your comments into consideration when dealing with these folks. Incidently the quote they gave me was only a $100 higher per year but offered more coverage and had the storage provision to boot. 100,000/300,000/100,000 coverage which was greater than my present rate which is only on 50/100/50. They stated that they deal with 5 or 6 companies which allows them to get the best rate for our locale. Additionally, the plan covers your personal property inside your coach. All in all i was merely checking with other Rver's to see if i was missing out on a deal or not. Thanks again and happy trails to all. Rufus n Ruth
Old 02-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

I started with GS and 40 days after picking up my new Airstream Flying cloud the indoor storage facility owner hit a wall while moving the trailer. While I waited to see whether they were going to cover their admitted operating negligence I called GS. Not to make a claim but to give them a heads up. They informed me that my policy did not cover the trailer while it was being moved buy someone other than the owner while at a parking/storage/... facility.

For clarity I asked them did they cover it it was being serviced at a repair center and was damaged and the answer was no.

Looked at the policy and sure enough totally excluded lots of scenarios. I've got new coverage with another carrier through the folks at Americas Mailbox. Every quote I got I checked the policy and on GS had this type of exclusion. It is the section that discusses rental situations.

Never again and the calls, mail and email is incessant....
ghaynes754 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #13

Thumbs down National General Insurance

I have been with Good Sams/GMAC/National General Insurance since 1993 and have never had a problem with the last claim in 2001 but on 1/29/16 I was in a wreck and it looks like my pick up will be totaled. I have had an initial contact to exchange information with claims and was assigned an agent who called on February 1 and was given a claim number. They towed my truck from the tow company lot to “their” lot to save storage fees. On February 2 I was contacted by an adjuster and discussed the damage and had requested to meet with the adjuster when he looked at the vehicle. Since February 1 I have not had any contact with an employee of National General Insurance and it appears from reviews of the company in resent years that I might have to retain an attorney to get a settlement from the company.

I plan on changing my insurer before the renewal date unless they step up and start doing their job.

Tags
offer