Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
OK, I'm hooked, I'll be discussing my Christmas present suggestions with DW in the morning.

Apparently the rear door is the main entrance, front door is to drivers area and "game room" or den.

I wanted to see more interesting stuff about this series of Newmar https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...mid-diesel.pdf Hows that for a toy hauler?
DW shot my suggestion down, not nearly enough storage area compared to our present MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
DW shot my suggestion down, not nearly enough storage area compared to our present MH.
What do you mean you got shot down? Who wears the pants over there???
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #31

I like it !
Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
What do you mean you got shot down? Who wears the pants over there???

Really? You gotta ask?
Any man who thinks he is the boss in the marriage may be delusional, so I was told. It's tough being married to a rich and beautiful woman.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #33

Foretravel Owners Club
I really looked at an AllStar mid engine diesel coach a few years ago,but the floor plan and engine placement were total No Go's..
Biggest issue was that the engine oil pan was only 8" off the pavement.. and on a 45' coach even a speed bump could ruin your day(s)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newell coaches were of excellent quality. I am not sure of the mid engine though.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Newell coaches were of excellent quality. I am not sure of the mid engine though.

Ken
This is a Newmar mid engine coach I believe
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #36

Very different setup for sure. Makes me wonder how difficult it would be to work on the engine. I would hope the floor opens up for access otherwise so was simple as a fan belt could be a major undertaking.

The floor plan is interesting particularly if you are traveling with others. But the sleeping arrangements are more like the old days in the earl travel trailer where we were all in the same room. Definitely lacking privacy. Interesting but not for me.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #37

The best engine location is at the rear, and with a side radiator plus a short rear overhang. The mid-engine is for somebody else. Is it available brand new?
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #38

I haven’t seen it on the Newmar website Or anything similar on any other website so my guess it wasn’t very popular not to mention working on the engine Could prove to be a real pain. Just my guess. If the engine was directly under the center of the floor it may not be as bad as one would think if the floor had access to the engine. Hopefully I never have to own or work on one like it. I have enough with what I have now and had in the past.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
The best engine location is at the rear, and with a side radiator plus a short rear overhang. The mid-engine is for somebody else. Is it available brand new?
According to the Newmar website the Spartan mid-engine chassis was not offered after 2008. https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/
Old 12-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That mid-engine chassis - a Spartan - was offered in Newmar and Travel Supreme models.
2008 saw the demise of it and many other things in the RV industry.

As is typical with these things:
*The 2008 recession hit buyers,
*Volume of buyers decreased,
*RV makers slowed production due to slack sales,
*Reduced production decreased orders for chassis,
So as a cost saving measure, Spartan dropped the less selling chassis models.
With no ME chassis available, these floor plans ceased to exist.

Same thing happened to the Freightliner FRont Engine Diesel (FRED) and Workhorse W20-22D (also a front engine Diesel line of chassis).
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
. . If the engine was directly under the center of the floor it may not be as bad as one would think if the floor had access to the engine. . . .
Here is a photo of the Allstar garage model that shows the engine access panel in the floor by the fridge. I like it because it also provides easy access to a frosty beverage while your performing some hot engine maintenance.

I would suppose that the floor access panel would have to be integrated into at least semi-convenient locations of each floorplan. But it would be hard to beat the location in the garage floorplan.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #42

Wonder where the engine height is getting stuffed...if the motor cover is above the motor then the whole engine is below floor height. In my DP, the motor cover is about 8" higher than the floor height.

Would be great to see an under body shot of the powertrain.
I assume the motor is north / south with the trans behind the motor and the axle is opposite of a DP axle. Where are the radiators?