Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it a "Push me Pull me"?

Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #16

I like off-beat stuff, especially if one can see the coherent thought that went into it. I've seen pics of RV's made from all kinds of things and sure all have. Firetrucks, school buses..old cars klooged on to some camper shell. What strikes me of this post though is this effort would seem one of necessity rather than of invention or expresion. If one had a budget and set out to craft something up, one wouldn't do what the pics represent out of choice but may from necesity.
I hope it does pull well enough to get him where he needs to go and safely so too.

Around here, the midwest, there are many hunters who have older/end of life RV's used for hunting cabins. Could be that is what is going on here and if so, it would work fine as long as the roof is sound and a has adequate space to store beer.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #17

Reckon it has electric brakes? If it moves, it has to stop...somehow.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sure would like to see the "inside" of that rig!!!!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #19

Redneck Remodel...

At first glance one cracks up, but after some thought this is clever.

No need for dual axle as the original one should be designed to cary this load, the front axle is gone, but so too is the weight.

Towing weight of the rig and braking, maybe work in progress, but if hitch is later upgraded to surge brake then brakes not a problem.

The front is very ugly, but if a better end-cap was added this would look cool.

Other than the front end this rig looks interesting, given the truck chassis it should be a failry tough TT now.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater
I admire and respect resourceful people. People who are not afraid to be different, either driven by economics or just the desire to make do with something most everyone else would toss aside or be too proud to own. In my past life one of my areas of responsibility included a remote island with maybe 2000 residents. I was always amazed and truly respected their ability to make something out of nothing. I often wondered who had it right, those folks, who lived a life that material possessions were, well, immaterial to them. If they wanted something they would barter back and forth, or scrounge the island for what they needed. Or us, who have run on the hamster wheel of life to keep up with everything and everybody, (whoever the Jones are) rushing to buy the latest gadget off the shelf which already is obsolete. Dashing to the fast food joint for lunch because we just don't have time, quickly waving to a friend, but we don't have time to stop and chat. It's run harder run faster work longer days, gotta have two paychecks to make the payments. I know one thing they always had was time to stop and invite you in for a meal or at least a cup of coffee. I know when I arrived at that island and stepped out of the helicopter I could feel my blood pressure drain down about 20 points. No matter how you live your life in the end we all die. I suspect we (the hamster wheel people) die sooner.
Very very well said!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think it's a work in progress, because you can see a paint bucket by the tounge support.
It would look to me like the person workes a t Home Depot because I can't imagin HD letting someone build this in thier lot.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
There is no way that hitch can be used to pull that thing. Maybe with a farm tractor a few hundred feet or so, no way in heck legal. Prob an office trailer temp.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm wondering if possibly it was damaged on the road and this ended up being there cheapest possible fix. Just a thought. Wherever it is, it was nice of the business letting them do it on their property if in fact that is what is going on.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I'm wondering if possibly it was damaged on the road and this ended up being there cheapest possible fix. Just a thought. Wherever it is, it was nice of the business letting them do it on their property if in fact that is what is going on.
I'd think it would have to been something like that. engine fire perhaps?
Front end crash?. No one in thier right mind would take a good operational RV and start hacking it up like that.
I do think it would have made a better 5th wheel TT than a bumper pull TT.It really easy. just remove the steel frame and stick it up on a 5th wheel car trailer or goosneck trailer you will have a axle to sell also.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #25

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic

No one in thier right mind would take a good operational RV and start hacking it up like that.
Not their right mind- definitely left mind as they are some form of artist
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Definitely Diamond Plate the front.... ya.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I admire and respect resourceful people. People who are not afraid to be different, either driven by economics or just the desire to make do with something most everyone else would toss aside or be too proud to own. In my past life one of my areas of responsibility included a remote island with maybe 2000 residents. I was always amazed and truly respected their ability to make something out of nothing. I often wondered who had it right, those folks, who lived a life that material possessions were, well, immaterial to them. If they wanted something they would barter back and forth, or scrounge the island for what they needed. Or us, who have run on the hamster wheel of life to keep up with everything and everybody, (whoever the Jones are) rushing to buy the latest gadget off the shelf which already is obsolete. Dashing to the fast food joint for lunch because we just don't have time, quickly waving to a friend, but we don't have time to stop and chat. It's run harder run faster work longer days, gotta have two paychecks to make the payments. I know one thing they always had was time to stop and invite you in for a meal or at least a cup of coffee. I know when I arrived at that island and stepped out of the helicopter I could feel my blood pressure drain down about 20 points. No matter how you live your life in the end we all die. I suspect we (the hamster wheel people) die sooner.
So few know.... Sssssh.....