Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting problem with LED bulb and light fixture

So I've been wanting to change over to led bulbs in my coach for a long time but wasn't sure what style/temp I should go with. I got a good deal on a pair of lumi rv 1141 "cool white" bulbs and figured I would try them in the ceiling fixtures to see if I liked the color and output.

The first fixture I installed a bulb in worked as expected but something strange happened with the second one I tried, the fixture was switched off but as soon as I pushed the bulb in it lot up completely then all but 2 leds went out. I switched the light on and it lit back up but when I switched it back off instead of going out it just dimmed. It works normally with an incandescent bulb and none of the other light fixtures do this.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Bad bulb? Try a different bulb and see if it does the same thing.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bulb works fine in every fixture but this one, the other led I purchased does the same thing but only in this one fixture.
When I put the original incandescent bulb back in it works fine
Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Possible bad ground??
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say bad switch. Normal bulbs require more power so not enough power to light bulb but current drain still there. When on off position the switch is still but barely making contact. Next time you turn it off try snapping the switch off. In any case I'll bet a new switch will solve your problem.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turn off any other lights in the area while doing the test. Disconnecting one wire from the switch should kill the light but if not it is time to get a digital voltmeter out and measure the voltage on each pin of the bulb. You need a good ground so grab an extension cord and use the ground lead to put one of your probes in. If you take those measurements and post them a better analysis will come.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #7

(+) pos and (-) neg feed to fixture my be reversed. Some LED's are picky about that, some are not.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the bad switch suggestion.. The dome light in my car was missing when I bought it, I replaced it with an LED I picked up for.. Hold on to your wallet....$0.50,, Yes fifty cents (Close out) the dome light is computer controlled so it behaves exactly that way, Never fully goes out.

I would pull the fixture...... I think you may have a BUG (NO, not a defect but an insect) across the switch terminals. Or some other accidential poor connection. (Conductive grease Water, etc.)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bulb socket may be wired with reverse polarity.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The light fixture is a Fleetwood "euro light" so I assumed the fixture was probably going bad. I haven't had a chance to test it but I hope it's a polarity issue and not a socket that starting to ground out. I figured I would find out if anyone else experienced a similar problem before I started shopping for a new fixture
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Odds are the hot and ground on the switch is wired backwards. LEDs are polarity sensitive and won't work with reversed wiring (but some better brands have internal circuitry to correct for that).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote