Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
69 Volkswagen K70 is water cooled.
I believe that was the point TQ60 was making.

Thanks to the folks on this great forum, with the past 2 RV's/tow vehicles/toads, I knew exactly what I wanted & went shopping with precise "must have/negotiable" lists & with prices I was willing to pay. Sure made dealing with the salespeople a lot simpler & kept them from wasting my time & theirs trying to sell me something I didn't want or for a price above what I was willing to pay. I plan to stick with this same plan with our next purchase.

The worst thing to do is to go in unprepared. They'll smell indecision a mile away & will steer you to what they want to sell vs what you may want.

Be an informed consumer & you'll make a deal you'll be happy with & the dealer will "mostly" be happy with.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Several years ago when shopping for a fifth wheel the salesman at this not huge but decent size dealership told me that he had a small class C and a couple of other salesmen had TT's but that was it. He did let it slip that the sales manager for the dealership had never slept in an RV!
There are times when I wonder if the guys who design and manufacture them have ever used them as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There are times when I wonder if the guys who design and manufacture them have ever used them as well.

I spoke with a field rep for Fleetwood/American Coach, and she mentioned it was company policy that leadership must spend x amount of days using them.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #32

Never heard of any water cooled vw of those years...

Common beetle, bus and squareback all air cooled.

We worked in a gas station across from another one and when they had a new guy we would call at night and watch them pull their hair out trying to figure out how to find it in the book...
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I spoke with a field rep for Fleetwood/American Coach, and she mentioned it was company policy that leadership must spend x amount of days using them.
That would make sense but looking at some of the designs I wonder why they did some of the things they did.

We really like the Providence but could not figure out why they have a terraced drawers in the bedroom. Top drawers are really small and you can't put anything on the counter top in front of the top drawers unless you are prepared to move the object every time you want to open a drawer. Why not build it straight up?

We looked at a Thor and they had the same design feature so it must be popular??
Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #34

But they look so nice...who cares if they work...they look nice...
Old 05-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting results when RV shopping today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
That would make sense but looking at some of the designs I wonder why they did some of the things they did.

We really like the Providence but could not figure out why they have a terraced drawers in the bedroom. Top drawers are really small and you can't put anything on the counter top in front of the top drawers unless you are prepared to move the object every time you want to open a drawer. Why not build it straight up?

We looked at a Thor and they had the same design feature so it must be popular??

Gordon,
Have to be careful of how I word this so I don't violate the forum rules. We sell most of the high end manufacturer coaches with the most expensive coach being about 800K.

Me and my wife are going to be upgrading to a tag axle so I take my lunch break sometimes and walk around the different coaches. I have yet to walk in one without thinking why did they do that. We just got a very popular DP in the other day that goes for about 500K and I couldn't belive how they placed certain items, fabric colors, interior colors, fit/finish, etc. I was thinking it would be on the lot a long time. Of course it sold in 2 days.

To tie back in to the OP, I think most of our salesman like it when a person has done there research and knows what they want. It keeps them from walking around with a person for hours only to never hear back from the customer again. My owner told me something I found interesting the other day. Used MH's values are going up, not down as I would have guessed. Said not much was built during the great recession, reducing used inventory. Put that together with a big interest in used units, and there you go. I know we are doing great business on new and used.

Great topic, but headed to Europe in about an hour for our twentieth anniversary. Try not to beat up on the dealers to much, ha ha.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
I have no issues with the dealers per se. They are much like men's or ladies wear stores. They can only sell what the manufacturers produce. I have encountered some really good salespersons and some not so good. Que sera.

It is obvious that the RV manufacturers just like clothing manufacturers have to keep changing in order to keep selling. Some of the changes are simply for changes sake.

I have often considered designing and building my own coach. But I am sure I would soon go broke.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #37

Dealt with Camping World Valencia, no high pressure, no problems...on third trip, met same saleman and wrote the 80K check...
Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocouple View Post
Dealt with Camping World Valencia, no high pressure, no problems...on third trip, met same saleman and wrote the 80K check...
Where's the first trip going to be?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #39

Oh that was three years ago! We are living aboard now!