Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interior Fabrics

I have been lurking for some time, so hello all. Where, why, when and who decides on the fabrics used in the RV industry? Literally, after touring almost every brand of MH, I am amazed at the lack of fabric quality, design, and choices offered. I have seen animal print that made me wonder what animal inspired that design, geometric designs that left me dizzy, colors that left me wondering where on the color wheel they'd fall into, and bedspreads that look like they should be either in a horror film or cheap motel! Is it me, or are there others out there that also wonder "who designs and actually chooses to use these"? Wonder if one of the RV Manufactures would be receptive to a poll about interior design?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This is also one of my pet peeves. Since I own a home dec & quilt fabric store (that also does interior design & upholstery/draperies), I pay extra attention to fabrics. I agree most manufacturers seem to have garish tastes in interior fabric options and it baffles me why. Even though it would be quite easy for me to change out an interior, one of the reasons I selected the MH we have now is the interior is actually quite pretty as originally optioned--all neutral fabrics. Passed over a great deal on another brand new MH I also liked because of the nightmare interior--one of the reasons I think it was still on the dealer's lot and being marked down weekly...

Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if there is any style of decor that everybody would like. That's why people furnish their house and apartment to their own tastes rather than buying them already furnished. RV makers usually offer at least a couple styles/patterns, interior or exterior, but nowhere near the breadth that individuals might choose. Plus, the ones you see on the sales lot are the one the dealer chose and his/her tastes probably differ from yours. Besides, the dealer likely chose based on what he thought would appeal to the majority of his potential buyers.

I find it interesting that people seem to choose much splashier designs for an RV than they would even consider for their home, inside or out. People who own white houses with bland furnishings still buy 4-color coaches with exotic swirls and bright colored interiors. Trying to make a statement of some sort? Or just putting a little flair in their lives? Your guess is as good as mine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

After over a year of looking, me thinks it's going to be very hard to find a 'neutral' looking RV interior. Our last MH really has us spoiled.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

I agree with OP that the interiors are terrible. We just bought are 30' Damond two months ago and the interior along with the cabinets are coming OUT!!! I will make new cabinets and wife and I will handle the rest
Old 01-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

The same question has to apply to the really ugly mustard yellow leatherette stuff found in the coaches we saw at the Tampa show this year. The front seats were bad enough, but the couches often had it too. They really are eyesores IMHO.

Just a little rant...........

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
cwk

I have a question about selecting fabrics, since it appears there are some fabric pro's here.

What does one look for when making selections? I am not necessarily talking about colors and patterns (that may be important here?), but rather fabric characteristics.

For example, in the hotel industry I believe the curtains and bedding must be "non-flammable" using some type of rating system. Since RV's are an enclosed space with limited exits, shouldn't fire safety be taken into consideration?

How about wear-ability? Not sure if that is the correct term. Even though these are interior items, the outdoors is only a few feet away. People coming in from a down-pour will probably be dripping wet. Some of that water may accidentally get onto the furniture, etc.

Is there any concern about the constant movement of fabric during road travel? For example, do the cushions on a sofa rub against each other, even if ever so slightly, while the RV is in motion? Is this a concern for premature wear? Specific textures? Types of fabrics to avoid?

Regarding color and pattern, I tend to lean toward the more neutral concept. My furniture is not the focal point of the interior. The people are. I want my RV to feel welcoming and comfortable; not an abstract art show that scare folks from even sitting down.

Anything else one should consider?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

When we bought our Newmar motorhome each product line had their own fabric patterns/colors. However, we were allowed to choose off whatever line we wanted. We ended with a very nice calming neutral scheme. We added color with throw pillows, area rug, artwork, etc. We never tired of it and if we wanted to 'refresh' we just bought different color pillows, etc. It worked for us!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I have a question about selecting fabrics, since it appears there are some fabric pro's here.

What does one look for when making selections? I am not necessarily talking about colors and patterns (that may be important here?), but rather fabric characteristics.

For example, in the hotel industry I believe the curtains and bedding must be "non-flammable" using some type of rating system. Since RV's are an enclosed space with limited exits, shouldn't fire safety be taken into consideration?

How about wear-ability? Not sure if that is the correct term. Even though these are interior items, the outdoors is only a few feet away. People coming in from a down-pour will probably be dripping wet. Some of that water may accidentally get onto the furniture, etc.

Is there any concern about the constant movement of fabric during road travel? For example, do the cushions on a sofa rub against each other, even if ever so slightly, while the RV is in motion? Is this a concern for premature wear? Specific textures? Types of fabrics to avoid?

Regarding color and pattern, I tend to lean toward the more neutral concept. My furniture is not the focal point of the interior. The people are. I want my RV to feel welcoming and comfortable; not an abstract art show that scare folks from even sitting down.

Anything else one should consider?
For durability, what you want to know is the abrasion number. It will be listed on a fabric as "xx,000 Double Rubs Cotton Duck Wyzenbeek Method". A double rub is essentially one sit down and get up, as you rub the fabric twice in that process. 15,000 is considered heavy duty for wear. 30,000 and up is considered suitable for hotels and restaurants. The thickness of a fabric does not indicate wearability, but rather it is the tensile strength of the individual fibers. I have seen fabrics as thin as tissue that are 100,000 double rubs and tapestry fabrics made of olefin that are only 5,000 double rubs. Contract grade fabrics (which are what the manufacturers usually select) are also pretty much impervious to moisture and color transfer. They are, however, rather uncomfortable to the touch. If you are re-doing your RV interior I would suggest you look at contract grade fabrics, leather, or furniture grade (NOT awning grade) Sunbrella for your furniture. For window treatments, bedspreads, etc. select what pleases you.

If you are concerned about fading, pure acrylic fabrics like Sunbrella are what you want. Or you can buy a UV protectant spray. It is pricey, though.

As for flame retardancy, the contract grade fabrics have that built in. You can also make a fire retardant solution using boric acid and saturate the fabric with it. Boric acid is what manufacturers use when making cellulose insulation flame retardant.

If that doesn't answer your questions, please let me know.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The more expensive RVs will have better grades of fabric (or leather), often including better fire resistance, longer wear & tear, and wider choices of color and pattern. It's one of the subtle differences in higher end rigs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #11

There's little need to research fabric thoroughly. Your choice will be what the manufacturer offers. Of course, you could completely redo your RV!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keukacamper View Post
I have been lurking for some time, so hello all. Where, why, when and who decides on the fabrics used in the RV industry? Literally, after touring almost every brand of MH, I am amazed at the lack of fabric quality, design, and choices offered. I have seen animal print that made me wonder what animal inspired that design, geometric designs that left me dizzy, colors that left me wondering where on the color wheel they'd fall into, and bedspreads that look like they should be either in a horror film or cheap motel! Is it me, or are there others out there that also wonder "who designs and actually chooses to use these"? Wonder if one of the RV Manufactures would be receptive to a poll about interior design?
I have to agree here. When my wife and I walked into our rig for the first time we knew it was going to be ours. Oddly enough it has a very "boring" and "plain" interior of light brown leather, red oak, cream tile, grey counters and tan carpet. What it doesn't have however are obnoxious pastel florals everywhere; puffy floral upholstered valances, odd colored seating, pink curtains, wallpaper from a 70's garden show, etc. Even with the new coaches there are still plenty of bad interior design decisions being made (although not nearly as bad as before).

Are you familiar with the Wynns? They have an RVing channel on YouTube. Not too long ago they went to Fleetwood to design their new coach and had a sit down with the designers. Some of your questions might be answered in their video.

Tags
interior