Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Interior Heater Instead of Winterizing

Throwing this out for info...
I have in the past winterized via pumping rv anti freeze thru all the lines, drains, and tanks. As wife still worked we didn't rv during winter.
She goes part time as of now, and we plan to do some traveling this winter, down to Ga. coast, south Ga, and Fla.
We live in Va, Shenandoah Valley area, and it does get below freezing many times during winter months.
Thinking of just running anti freeze in black/gray tanks, and black/gray drain lines, but all the other plumbing is inside the coach (class c motor home), under sinks, under bed, behind walls, ect. the usual.
Thinking about running several electric space heaters, at around 40 degrees or so, leaving everything inside open for warm air flow.
Want to be able to hit the road without having to de-winterize to leave, and then winterize again upon return.
Any of you out there in rv land do this??? Any problems???
Open to opinions.
Thanks,
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

You could blow the lines with an air compressor to remove the water from the lines. In here central SC It gets cold, but very few hard freezes. I use a couple of heaters inside to keep things from freezing, and place an incandescent light bulb in next to the water pump. So far so good.

I keep a watch on the weather and if it's only going to freeze for a few hours then I don't bother.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at the thread below and see if it gives you any ideas!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bay-heaters-149096.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #4

Thanks MS, it does. Heaters are too small, but love the temp sensitive outlets.
One in bedroom area and one in living area each with a decant heater would probably do the trick.
Could blow lines, but would rather keep everything warm enough to keep some items inside that we would normally take in for the winter.
Only outside lines w/o antifreeze would be the cold/hot/fresh water drains, and those I can wrap with some insulation.
Grumpy
Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If we know we will be taking the coach out for trips during the winter I won't winterize but instead will run one heater upstairs and one in the basement. I use the thermostatic type plugs that will come on and off as the temps get cold. I use two separate outlets with extension cords on separate circuits from the house so I don't overload anything. Works pretty good.

I also have a remote temp monitor for the upstairs and the downstairs and monitor from inside the house.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #6

Thanks jac. My rig is a class c, so no worry about basement. But the temp controlled plug outlets are a definate plus. Wasn't aware they were available. One front and one rear with some decant heaters should do the trick.
If it maintains 40-45 degrees I'll be happy.
Remote temp monitor is also a great idea, something I hadn't thought of. Rig is parked next to house, so it's a great idea.
Grumpy

Tags
heat, heater, interior, winter