Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interior window shades

Thinking about changing the "pull shades" on my windshield and side cockpit windows. Would like to have power shades installed instead of the nightly issue of pulling the shades closed. I'm sure they are available but don't know the particulars; can anyone give me any ideas?

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Toad: 2009 Lincoln MKX AWD
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For starters, check out MCD Duo Shades.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi JBroadaway,
This is another vote for MCD products. I have them through out my coach. They are a bit expensive, but the outstanding quality is worth it. 4 years now and not a single problem. They look just like the day they were installed.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We're thinking of doing this, too. We have looked at Carefree, AutoMotion and MCD, there may be other manufacturers also. Carefree are widely distributed, but they are not custom made and only drop 34 to 36", so they won't work as privacy shades, at least in our coach. AutoMotion (at least in their pictures) is not solid, the upper portion looks like mesh, so they won't work at night.

The best bet, at least in our case, seems to be MCD. They are custom fit and Cruzer has a great writeup on his website on his installation. AFChap mentioned in this post that his windshield was curved enough to require 3 overlapping shades!

There are several threads outlining problems with other brands of visors/shades, but none with MCD. As a matter of fact, they all were replaced with MCD's.

I think I'll make a pole like the one shown in cruzer's web page and to try to fit ours, as MCD is not going to be at rally near us on the East Coast and we aren't going to make it to Texas anytime soon.

Good luck!
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
If you go to the MCD website, and click on the dealer page, you will see that MCD has dealers across the country. Measuring for the house shades shouldn't be a problem for you but you may want to visit a dealer for the windshield installation.
Peggy Grich
American RVer
PegGrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Peggy, thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is no dealer in NC for cockpit shades, only house shades. I'll give MCD a call and see what they suggest.
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had all of our shades replaced with MCD Duo shades a few weeks ago. We had the windshield done, too. We didn't do powered shades, except for the windshield, because of the cost. It sure would have been nice, though.
We had the work done at MCD in McKinney, Texas. If you decide to do the cockpit, I suggest using Brannon Hutchinson of Custom RV in Red Bay, Alabama. He uses MCD shades and does great work. He will be a little cheaper than MCD in McKinney.

Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote