Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Internal water leak

I tried to put this out before and somehow lost it. So this time I'll just cut it down to the problem and question.
The wife and I went on our first weekend camping trip (thu to Sun.) to Ocean Lakes Campground. Great time, weather and nice people, overall great first time experance.
One big problem, we have an internal water leak.
Hooked up water hose and had leaking water gasket, got water all over the place. Replaced hose gasket and opened up compartments on both sides of camper to let air out. Then discovered water still leaking around edges by compartment doors. On Saturday morning I put my bare feet down on carpet and it was wet. The original Coachman owners manual says piping may loosen after travel, and that you need to tighten pipes and connections. Thats just great informations... It just doesn't tell how where to get those connections.
Can anyone please help with this. We have a class C Coachmen Leprechaun 29 footer
Thanks
Dave and Patty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Most likely on the inside of your city water connection. If that is the carpet area getting wet ,you will need to take the screws out of the inlet and pry it lose. It should come away with little resistance.The silicone caulk will be all that holds it after you remove the screws. There will be three hoses on the backside(fresh water,city water and overflow). Make sure all are tight and pushed up onto the connections as far as they will go. Usually a hose clamp is loose ot stripped. One thing is the unit will not pull out very far so close working. After tightening all connections reinstall and recaulk.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Places to start, screw on fittings. Under the sink, kitchen and bathroom, the water lines screw onto the faucets, seals there may leak and are replaceable. Usually there is a inspection opening for access to the fittings behind the shower. Connections and hoses at the water pump can leak over time.
The pipes are usually PEX tubing and use clamp fittings. If these leak you can use "Sharkbite" fittings that slide on the PEX.

To check if the leak is internal, disconnect from city water and turn water pump on with faucets closed. Should run to build pressure then shut off. If pump continues to run or cycles on & off the leak is after the pump.

Good luck...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

My biggest leak problem (class c gulfstream) was an inappropriate mix of PEX and standard tubing by the previous owner. There should be access somewhere inside the coach in the area of the external water connect. In my case it was under the rear bed (lift mattress, lift plywood, pretzel around framing, wiring and there it was!). Also had a crack on the city water connection. Ended up getting a new water box (JR Products) and re-plumbed with PEX. Rather difficult in small areas getting the crimper to work.
Good luck, hopefully you just need to tighten the threaded fittings.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

If you are home, obtain a air blowout adapter that screws into the city water connection, and an air chuck that clamps onto the automotive valve stem on the adapter so you make this a one person job. Regulate the compressed air to about 40-50 psi. First blow out all the water, then close all faucets. This pressurizes the water system to 40-50 psi. Now, using a 50/50 soapy water solution and small paint brush, test every connection you can locate as you work your way downstream from the city water connection. If it is very quiet, and the leak is not buried, you may even be able to hear the air leak before it's located.
This may sound crazy but it has worked, and doesn't continue to soak your RV until found. The downside_ this does not test the water pump and related connections.
Good hunting!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Trackman, It was just inside the city water hookup. I had to remove the coach to get at it. A couple of bloody knuckles and I got it out. I will replace that line and the city water hook up. And since the couch is out and I can clean real good behind it, and fix a few others items back there. Before I put the couch back I will test it make sure there is no other leaks and we will have to go try it out again.
This is a great site
thanks again
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Good work!!! Thanks for the update..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #8

If you have one, I would use a dehumidifier to get all the water out. There is a vinyl or plastic belly pan that covers the bottom of the trailer and goes up the side wall about 6" so water (going down the road) does not come in. If water gets past the flooring, it has no where to go and will just sit there and soak into the insulation and wood joists for the floor. I just got done replacing the first four feet of a trailer floor that had that happen to it. Not too much fun.

CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water