Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Internet brokers are swarming! Need help!!!!

Hello IRV2 friends!
My wife and I have decided to sell our Carri-Lite and I've posted on Craigslist. The only calls I'm getting are from companies offering to "sell" our RV for $200 to $300. From what I can tell, all they do is keep listing on different internet sites.

Anyone have any experience? Good, bad, etc. We really want to sell as quickly as possible, at our price.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Take your add down and repost with "NO COMMERCIAL SOLICITATION"

Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you include your tel number in standard format-- 123 456-7890? They have software that searches for that. Change a couple of the numbers in your posting to an alpha format to foil the scanners-- like this: 12 three 4 five 6- seven 890
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Did you include your tel number in standard format-- 123 456-7890? They have software that searches for that. Change a couple of the numbers in your posting to an alpha format to foil the scanners-- like this: 12 three 4 five 6- seven 890
I was wondering why people did that in adds. Thanks, it now makes sence.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Hang in there. Legitimate buyers are out there who use CL as a source to find their next RV. As a seller, I never use the CL automated email response feature. I list my telephone number only (with a couple of spelled-out numbers) and request interested people to text or call me directly.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #6

selling MH

be leary of many calls you will get from dealers/brokers, etc.
They will all try to help you at a cost that you pay now and some of the methods are far from normal or consignment.
I had one call to sell that was really a lease and after three years of this the owner would buy it. You maintained the loan (if you have one) because the buyer couldn't get financing. Protection of your unit was guaranteed, etc. But it was not sold and on to someone else.
Be patient and the right buyer will arrive, a clean well priced unit will sell.
Good luck.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't believe the brokers can sell your rig any better or faster than you can.

They talk a great story and make money from you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the "Brokers" call, take down their phone number, Who knows, a good number of them may be scammers. and Well..... If they are, it is nice to have their number.

If you put the No Commercial thing in your ad,, Then brokers calling must either give you a cash offer to take title and possession (IE: If you are asking 10 K they need to hand you 10K, (number chosen at random for this post) or they need to hand you 500 for answering the phone.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happen to me ~6 years ago & I would say it is worst now with the ability to search and the number of scammers out there.

This lasted for ~ a month, they got tired of calling.

I did get a couple people interested in the Class C I was selling from Craigslist but it seemed like I got the best results by putting a For Sale sign on it and parking it on a very busy road. I finally ended up selling it to the mechanic I had used on my auto's and he had also worked on the RV so he knew it was maintained.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am having the same problem as you and if it is not a scammer, broker, it's some one offering you less than half of what your asking. I have had a few tire kickers and had a deal but the buyer could not get the money last minute. Good luck with your sale I know how you feel.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we were selling a 5th wheel I put it on Craigslist. In addition to the brokers you mention, I got an e-mail every day, sometimes more than one, from someone wanting to buy it, but due to their work they were sending a representative with a cashiers check. All of them were worded almost exactly the same. I replied to them saying " I can only accept a direct transfer of funds between your bank and mine". Never heard from them again!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Take your add down and repost with "NO COMMERCIAL SOLICITATION"
Does no good whatsoever.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow520 View Post
Does no good whatsoever.
I have sold a few vehicles and items on Craig's and never got any solicitations. Its up to you how you post your ad. ( CLICK>no phone#,reply by email only)

Tags
need help