Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Interstate 10 advice

We will be travelling to The Rally in Phoenix next month. We have a 40'DP and toad. We will be on Interstate 10 between Palm Springs and Phoenix. I have a vague memory of it being said that there were some stretches where the HP was "extra vigilant" and would even stop DPs to see if the driver had proper license. Any comments or advice?
Thanks, Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

I did the Irv2 search for you ("I10" in the Irv2 search box)...

W. Texas I-10 Safety

Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hallo Mike, we just had this I 10 stuff a few Days ago. If you try Search, that should show up. When I lived in El Paso I 10 was my race track.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We have driven that stretch of road MANY times and have never had a hint of a problem. I'm not sure what type of license they would be looking for.

It's possible that you could run into a Boarder Patrol check point but they're more prevalent on I8 than on I10.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

We traveled I-10 from the south side of Joshua Tree to Saguaro NPs last fall with no problems as well. We saw very few LEOs let alone being stopped...and the road was in excellent shape the whole way. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I-10 Palm Springs to Phoenix--get in line behind the other hundred RV's on the road---if you see the CHP it will be a rare look. Remember speed in California towing is 55---75 in Arizona the CHP seems to show up if you are speeding. Passenger car license enough.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
CHP like to use the old 66 parallel rd from Indio all the way to Dessert Center and then to Blythe....The old road is intermitent but CHP has them down pat. Also work the the West part of Blythe to the Boarder east and west bound.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel that stretch a lot, unless it has changed in the last 4 mth you should have nothing to worry about. Seldom see CHP and as long as you are not going too fast they will not bother you. In AZ you probably won't be going over 75 mph, so no problem.

Glenn
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I would question the truthfulness of the person who told you this. In all my years of traveling this route (40+) I have never seen an rv pulled over...never; and most are traveling faster than the 55/70 speed limit. The CHPs are pretty scarce on this highway and you probably won't see more than one or two from Indio east. You will see more AHP once you cross the state line, but they don't seem to be too eager to pull anyone over...especially with the 75 mph limit. You will see them in the center median, usually under overpasses in the shade.

Drive the speed limit or close to it and you won't have a problem at all.

Rick, in California, motor homes that are longer than 40' require a Class B license. Those 40' and under only require a Class C license. 5th wheels of more than (I think) 15,000 lbs require an rv endorcement to their Class C license. So yes, the CHP can be looking for the correct license.

Ron
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replys. I just didn't think to do a search on I 10. Like MANY DP drivers, I have yet to get the proper license but will be doing so in the near future. Our DMV makes it more than difficult to obtain.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Didn't you initially say your dp is a 40 footer? If yes, then you don't need any special license. Only if it is "more" than 40'. The 40' doesn't include safety devices (mirrors) or bumpers.

Here is the California Vehicle Code that pertains to this:

12804.10 ... (b) Any person seeking to drive any house car over 40 feet in length, excluding safety devices and safety bumpers, shall obtain a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement as described in this subdivision. The applicant for that endorsement shall pass a specialized written examination and demonstrate the ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable control in operating that vehicle by driving it under the supervision of an examining officer. Upon satisfactory completion of the examination and demonstration, the applicant shall be issued a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement by the department. Upon application for an endorsement to operate this vehicle, and every two years thereafter, the applicant shall submit medical information on a form approved by the department.

Ron
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
Thanks for all the replys. I just didn't think to do a search on I 10. Like MANY DP drivers, I have yet to get the proper license but will be doing so in the near future. Our DMV makes it more than difficult to obtain.
I'd be really surprised if Nevada requires a special license for a 40 DP. Texas yes, but Nevada... I've never heard that.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #13

Travel I-10 west to Slidell and take I-12 over to Baton Rouge, then continue on I-10. It will save you a lot of time unless you plan on going through New Orleans....
Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Here's a link I found that gives specifics on license requirements for the various states.
RV Driver's License Requirements
It seems that some, Nevada included, use GVWR to determine if a class A or B is needed rather than length. As most have said though, I should have no worries if I just follow the speed limit rules. BTW, California's law about 55mph for any vehicle towing anything seems dangerous. On I 5 if you are doing 55 in a 70+ mph zone, you are a hazard to other traffic. Does anyone have an idea why Calif. doesn't change that?