Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Inverter?

we went from class c to a. its a 2015 fw excursion with a residental frig. miss file the inverter info so my ? is have a control up in the cupboard were the other controls are do i have to turn it on every time i unplug to run frig and i wonder what it all runs? and should i turn gen on auto? will be calling fleetwood to ask but couch is in repair small warenty stuff any info would be great.
thanks bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I leave my inverter on all the time - it automatically starts inverting when shore or generator power is not available. Otherwise it is idle.

Yes, the inverter needs to be on to run the fridge if no external power (genset or shore).

Whether the genset should be on auto (auto gen start?) is a personal choice. I don't with mine because I seldom want it to auto-start, but I know folks who do. Some campgrounds don't allow generators to run at all, and others have restrictions. And at home I usually don't want it firing up either, in case I'm not around.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for info
Old 08-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I turn my inverter on only when I'm going to use it...if you want power to the refer when on the road, you'll need it to be on. Some folks run with no power to the refer due to the excellent insulation. The auto gen start will not come on if you have shore power. I turn mine on when travelling, so if the batteries run down (for some reason) the gen will come on to charge them. The AGS has only started the gen once...it was 8 degrees and the Aqua Hot had been running and the batteries needed charging.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for reply new to inverter didn,t know if had to be on to charge batteries.have list of ? when i call fw trying to fig out mh. are old class c when going down road would charge batteriers i know at night i run a cpap so want batteries charge when we go to bed but will leave gen on auto
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 08-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Many inverters always charge and provide 12v to the coach system, and the "off" button controls only the "invert" function. Some, e.g. Magnum inverters, can completely shut down with the Off button, or have two "off" positions, one for inverting and one for charging & 12v. Generally, though, you can just leave the inverter on except when placing the rig in storage.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I might be saying the same thing as Gary...

I have an inverter/charger with two buttons in the coach. One is on/off for the charger function, the other is on/off for the inverter function. I always leave the charger on and always leave the inverter off...unless it is need to provide some AC power while on the road.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I always leave the charger on and always leave the inverter off...unless it is need to provide some AC power while on the road.
That is exactly what I do.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks i guess i better get manual to see what i have
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Regardless of the number of on/off buttons, it still doesn't hurt to leave them on, except in storage when you have no shore power available. If the coach is plugged in, you can leave the inverter on.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
i have a on off save button a menu home button and a save and home right know it says status float.thanks for info in storage do i have to turn disconnect to off or just shut it off .
safe travles bob,linda &missy
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

What is the brand name on the display panel? It's difficult to answer questions without knowing the make & model of inverter/display panel you have and thus the function of the buttons. Since you described only one "off" button, it is probably only for the inverter function and can be turned off and left off, i.e. the batteries will still charge ok. But without knowing the inverter panel brand and model, that's just a guess.

The battery disconnect is used (turned to off) only when storing the RV without electrical hook-ups. Leave it on otherwise.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do not have the manual. Get the make and model and

Google: Make Model Manual

Where make and model are the make and model of the device you need a manual for... Often it takes you directly there,
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Regardless of the number of on/off buttons, it still doesn't hurt to leave them on, except in storage when you have no shore power available. If the coach is plugged in, you can leave the inverter on.
Why leave it on if it will not be used?

I have a Magnum Energy, Model MS2012. This is from my manual:

"Turning The Inverter ON: Press on/off Inverter pushbutton to activate the inverter function. The inverter will be "inverting" or will be ''searching." If Inverting it will be converting 12v to AC power. If searching it will be searching for a load by using very little power from the batteries."

There is also a "Standby" mode. In this mode, shore power is available and this external AC power is passing through the inverter to power AC loads. If AC power is lost, the inverter senses this and goes to the inverter mode to power AC loads.

Tags
inverter