Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Inverter / converter

can someone explain the difference, and on another note
I have a magnatec inverter that is bad so I took it out thinking that it only
runs the dash mounted TV which I can live with out everything else runs fine without it is this a correct assumption or am I all wet

1994 Winnebago Elante 33'
roxy 257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
inverter/converter

Converter converts 110 vac to 12 vdc to charge batteries and run 12 volt appliances. Inverter converts 12vdc from batteries to 110vac for line voltage appliances such as tv's, toaster etc. Are you sure some ac outlets are not served by the inverter when you don't have shore power?
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for clearing this up Bob great help funny thing I never tried any outlets without shore power just thought that's the only time they had power or when the generator was running i'll give it a shot when I buy the new inverter

Chris
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy 257 View Post
can someone explain the difference, and on another note
I have a magnatec inverter that is bad so I took it out thinking that it only
runs the dash mounted TV which I can live with out everything else runs fine without it is this a correct assumption or am I all wet

1994 Winnebago Elante 33'
When we ordered our 2000 DSDP we only specified the 400 watt inverter to run the front TV and VCR. Nothing else was powered off it. That was a mistake so we had CW install a 2,500 watt inverter. That was another mistake! We assumed that CW would know how to install an inverter, found out they didn't and we wasted a couple hundred $$ on their install.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

One source of confusion on these is that some inverters are also battery chargers and converters, i.e. they do all three functions in one box.

Some Rvs have large inverters that can power most everything, some just power the entertainment center, and many have no inverter at all.

If you had an inverter that did only the tv and associated devices, it is probably only a 300-400 watt modified sine wave model. You could replace that yourself for about $40-$50.

What was wrong with the old one? Usually an inverter either works or not - there is seldom anything in between.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all your advise very helpful just went out and bought one from battery's plus for $36 bucks 450 watt, and it does only run the dash TV since there is only 1 AC plug going to it. that really sucks that CW wired your inverter wrong mine is real simple 1 power and 1 ground however my old magnatec had a separate ground and
a purple and a green wire in the same plug coming from the coach the purple is the hot will trace down what that other green is, in any case getting battery power to the inverter is as simple as 2 wires. yours must have had many wores coming out of it to run more ac apliancess maybe that is where they screw up.

Gary yes the old inverter just didn't work no in between. and your right it is a modified sine wave that I bought and it's all ready installed and working fine

thanks again guys
Chris
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter: Converts 120vac to something close to 12VDC

INVERTER: Does the INVERSE of that, (12vdc to 120vac)

As Gary said, some are combination devices, do both depending on what's needed at the moment.

If you have a Magnatek.. Consider an upgrade.

Tags
converter, inverter