Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61
Inverter help! Please!

I need to pull the trigger on a new inverter tomorrow. Here is my story. 2001 fleetwood bounder, we are the 2nd owners. Purchased with only 8k miles on it. Rv originally had 2/6v batteries and I have no idea what converter. It currently had 1 coach battery 12v deep cycle 550 amp and a Atwood apc-55 55amp 980 watt and 13.75v single output. I noticed a few weeks ago, the converter was running alot, like every 30 min and it would go for 30 min or so and was much louder than the normal operation. Checked the battery water level was good but it just went bad apparently and wouldn't hold a charge so needless to say the converter/battery charger has no output. Checked it today. Checked for a ground short on all breakers and was none. No ground short either on output wire to battery. Now I just purchased 2/650 amp deep cycle marine batteries and wanted to know what brand of converter and size is reccomended to properly maintain those larger batteries. I was looking at the multi stage converter from powermax boondocker 60-100 amp. I need help deciding which size to get if that is the right one. My budget is $300 which is the cost for replacement of the 2010 Atwood apc-55. You know my gut tells me to go with the 100 amp but bigger is not always better due to boiling. Any speedy answers will be much appreciated! Glad to finally register on this site since I browse alot as a guest
__________________

__________________
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,492
Short answer...

More amps are better, less amps also will cook the Battery, what matters is voltage control.

Read the data sheet carefully and check two places to confirm selection

Here first, many have tried the good, bad and ugly.

Then check with the manufacturer with the questions you develop here.

Do not hurry, once you get one selected you will be fine.

Many will now chime in, read all and ask general question about what you read, this will be a good thread, focus on Battery type, charge cycle and voltage
__________________

__________________
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
The best converter on the market is the Progressive Dynamics 9200 Series. PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

I would highly recommend the PD9260C - 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger for the Atwood replacement.

This explains the Charge Wizard.

Here's one for $150.
Amazon.com: PD9260C

John...
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61
Hey clyon, will the 60 amp be enough for the 2 650 amp batteries? They are evertart MAxx deep cycle for rv or boating. I have read alot last night and I think that is the brand I'm gonna go with.
__________________
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
nightriderrv's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,682
It is the best converter out there I always replace converters with that brand even if it has a other brand
__________________
Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Inverter and Converter are two different animals. it sounds like you want to buy a new converter/charger.

An inverter doesn't have anything to do with battery charging; rather it changes (converts) 12V to 110V to run household appliances and loads. Some RV's have factory installed inverters and I wouldn't be without mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
I need to pull the trigger on a new inverter tomorrow. Here is my story. 2001 fleetwood bounder, we are the 2nd owners. Purchased with only 8k miles on it. Rv originally had 2/6v batteries and I have no idea what converter. It currently had 1 coach battery 12v deep cycle 550 amp and a Atwood apc-55 55amp 980 watt and 13.75v single output. I noticed a few weeks ago, the converter was running alot, like every 30 min and it would go for 30 min or so and was much louder than the normal operation. Checked the battery water level was good but it just went bad apparently and wouldn't hold a charge so needless to say the converter/battery charger has no output. Checked it today. Checked for a ground short on all breakers and was none. No ground short either on output wire to battery. Now I just purchased 2/650 amp deep cycle marine batteries and wanted to know what brand of converter and size is reccomended to properly maintain those larger batteries. I was looking at the multi stage converter from powermax boondocker 60-100 amp. I need help deciding which size to get if that is the right one. My budget is $300 which is the cost for replacement of the 2010 Atwood apc-55. You know my gut tells me to go with the 100 amp but bigger is not always better due to boiling. Any speedy answers will be much appreciated! Glad to finally register on this site since I browse alot as a guest
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
Hey clyon, will the 60 amp be enough for the 2 650 amp batteries?
Yes.

Quote:
They are evertart MAxx deep cycle for rv or boating. I have read a lot last night and I think that is the brand I'm gonna go with.
I'm thinking you're making a mistake with those. Do you have a link to them which has all the specs?
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Davidej M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 116
I have a zantax (?) inverter charger on my boat and in our DSDP. They work great. With respect if your asking these questions you need to speak to someone knowledgable in this field. Basically you add up the potential load, for how long - that will determine your battery bank capacity and then look at the various inverter specs. Any of the inverter/chargers speced properly will probably do the trick unless you need a pure sign wave output for your 110 v output.
__________________
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61
Sorry, yes I need a converter/charger. When I checked at bestconverter.com randy told me to get the boondocker 60 instead of the progressive dynamics. I guess some people are just partial to certain brands. I rarely do any book docking since I have the generator. But the extra year of warranty sure caught my eye.

As far as going with the two evertart. Where am I making my mistake?i know they will only last a couple years, but I'm not sure what other choices I have. It's kinda one of those situations where I Learn about it when it needs to be repaired.
__________________
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durant, Ok
Posts: 339
I agree with clyon51. These may not be the best "house" btry. Sounds like 650 cold cranking amps and they are called Everstart.
__________________
2002 38' Diplomat
Keith & Shirley
Durant, OK
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
When I checked at bestconverter.com randy told me to get the boondocker 60 instead of the progressive dynamics. I guess some people are just partial to certain brands. I rarely do any book docking since I have the generator. But the extra year of warranty sure caught my eye.
Boondockers are WFCO and are made in China. Randy recommends them because he makes more money selling them. We here have nothing to gain recommending PD.

Quote:
As far as going with the two evertart. Where am I making my mistake?i know they will only last a couple years, but I'm not sure what other choices I have. It's kinda one of those situations where I Learn about it when it needs to be repaired.
Those are marine starting batteries and are not TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries. You want two Group GC2 6v Batteries. If properly maintained, they will last 7-10 years. Trojan, Interstate and Excide make GC2s as well as other companies. Costco and Sam's Club also carry them now for under $90. You can also opt for two 12v deep cycle, but they are still pricey.

Those Everstarts will certainly work if you keep them charged and never let them go dead or stay 50% discharged very long. Just seems like doing it right the first time with no additional expense makes more sense.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61
The evertart are marine deep cycle 95hr@1a 2 year free replacement. I don't plan on owning this Motorhome in 2 years, gonna upgrade to a discovery or allegro red one hopefully. so these 2 batteries and the dynamics inverter are what I'm going with. I appreciate all the help.
On a further conversation, how is 2 6volt batteries better than 2 12 volt batteries?
__________________
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
KIX
Senior Member
 
KIX's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
On a further conversation, how is 2 6volt batteries better than 2 12 volt batteries?
More usable amps
__________________
KIX
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
Just to expand on what KIX said, just because a battery is 6 or 12v has nothing to do with it. It is the contruction and design of the internal works of each battery.

GCs were designed for golf carts. They need to suppy continous amps over a long period, run near dead, then re-charged 1000's of times. This makes them perfect for an RV. Do this ten times with a starting battery, you're dead in the water.

There are 12v deep cycles out there, getting more popular but, they are still pricey. Pound for pound (litterally) and AH for AH, the 6v GC is still by far cheaper than the 12v.

2 Trojan 6V GCs weigh 125 lbs and have 225 AH. 2 Trojan 12v deep cycle (they have several) weight 132 lbs and have 260 AH. So in this case, 12v is better, just gonna cost a lot more.
__________________

__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.